moving to the d.r.

eztime

Feb 11, 2007
okay I know I said though I would not post again on this site.but have given it serious consideration.I will only pay attention to serious comments.hopefully someone out there can help me with the arithmetic.I am not the village idiot but by no means am I a Einstein..this is what I've come up with a plan on moving to the d.r.by February of 2008.if everything goes according to plan which most to time it doesn't.I will have $20,000 a year for about three years until my pinching takes effect.4800 for rent..which is about $400 a month which would leave me with 15,200.divided by 12 months which comes up to $1266.divided by four which will give me $316 per month.divide that by seven.which if I am not mistaken comes to about $45 per day.I hear stories of people living on far less than this amount.I guess it's hard for me to see but maybe I'm looking at my lifestyle here..in which I spend about $50 just rolling out of bed.maybe calculating of this with a broken calculator or maybe I'm just not seeing the big picture.because $45 a day does not seem like a lot of money.or maybe I'm just looking at it a vacation mode.hopefully someone can help with the numbers.any real help would be greatly appreciate.PS maybe I am the village idiot:ermm:

eztime

Feb 11, 2007
also I noticed that there are a lot of questions and inquiries about people moving to the DR..perhaps there should be a special form within the form devoted solely to people contemplating moving to the DR..a place where all their questions can be answered for the most part..I'm talking about things like mail delivery.and a list of other things to help someone make the adjustment from where they might be moving from to the DR.or perhaps someone to help guide them do the transition in a new country.I personally would be up for something like that..except in I haven't even moved there yet myself..I have made some friends in the DR who has given me some information.but the more help the better

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Have you read all the stickies - this one particularly? http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/48561-2006-info-moving-dr.html

Will you still have money back where you come from if you need to move back? Do you have a safety net? Where do you want to stay? What kind of lifestyle?

Mail delivery has been answered in these forums around 100 + times. Do some research and some reading.

I don't know if your budget is sufficient as I do not know where or how you want to live.

candice

Jan 23, 2006
I Think that expeience will do more for you than a website of how other people cope. I have vacationed in th D.R. for 15 years. I know nothing of how I would cope living there! Last year I was hanging around the North coast for a month and learned to use Guaguas as an economical way to not get bored with resort life. Could I or you live there and do this everyday? Before I retire I will take many long vacations to try to transition to D.R. life. I hope I make it but I know I won't be waiting for mail delivery in my D.R. condo. !caramba! I think you need personal experience because you don't sound like a risk taker.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
Firstly, all your questions will be answered (re: mail etc) if you use the search facility at the top of the page. Also, there are 'stickys' in the living forum which are permanent posts at the top of the page detailing some of the things you mention.

With regard to living here, it can be done with the money you mention, but it's dependant on your lifestyle. We're a family of four (2 adults and 2 young girls) living in Sosua and we need min of approx $30,000 per annum to live on and that excludes rent as we own our house, so with rent you're talking $35,000 min. However, that includes school fees and related costs (approx $10,000 per year) which you don't have to consider, so that leaves about min of $25,000 for two of us. We don't live a really 'frugal' Dominican style lifestyle and we don't live an 'extravagant' western one. We run a car, so it includes petrol, eating out a couple of times a week, maintenance (something you should take into consideration) electric (can be substantial), medical insurance, groceries and a few beers and glasses of wine here and there!

It's really down to you. I know of a couple who rent a tiny studio flat (one room) in La Mulata, Sosua for $150 per month all in, though obviously it's very basic! You may be best of renting something with fixed costs so you can budget. For example, some apartments rent for say $400 per month with $150 per month all in for electric, water, wireless internet etc (again, internet costs is something else to consider - my cable internet costs $51 per month for 568 kbps). Bear in mind that your grocery bill here will be around the same as UK (or probably more expensive if you're living in the States). Hope these costs give you some idea......

If you're planning on living the sort of life you probably led on holiday then you won't be able to do it.....especially not if there's a chica in tow ;) (forgive me if I've made a wrong assumption there.....)

eztime

Feb 11, 2007
thank you for your reply I guess I have to take more time and we some of the post..first of all I plan on living a modest lifestyle..no going to the discos every night.no car public transportation.possibly a motorcycle.doing my own cooking.eating out perhaps once a week.a little scuba diving from time to time.perhaps doing some volunteer work..I am a real laid-back person easy-going not flashy simpler things in life..I have at least eight to 10 months before I make that move..yes I will have a safety net to fall back on if things don't work out here in the DR..possibly looking for someplace like Rio San Juan or possibly Jasper Hernandez.someplace where the cost of living is not to high.I mentioned $20,000 a year because I'll give myself in the last two years to see if this is the right move for me..have been to Dominican Republic numerous times by now considering living there..being on vacation is one thing but living somewhere is another

eztime

Feb 11, 2007
thanks again for you guys reply yes to answer your question I am a very cautious person..taking my time gathering as much information as possible.I figure out give myself six months to see if I like it or not..but I do know one thing for sure I am tired of the coal whether here..I pretty sure by the time February March or April rolls around.I will have gathered as much information as possible to at least give it a running start.$20,000 a year for three years is what I give myself.and 500,000 back at home..so if things don't work out I can always come back home..thanks again moving to a new part of town is one thing the moving to a new country is another within itself.somewhat a little bit scary.thanks again for all you guys help..back to research