ATM Banco Popular main branch triple dipping

hicksy

Nov 25, 2005
Just thought I would let everyone know that the ATM at the new branch in
sosua is putting through debits that aren't a reality. This was at 5:20 p.m. today.

I took out 10,000RD and tried to take out a further 8000.00RD,since the atm only dispenses 10K at a time, but was denied stating I had insufficient funds. I did have them.

I went back to my laptop and checked what was going on with my account on line and low and behold. 2 transactions of the 10,000.RD had been processed and the 8000.00RD which I didn't physically receive.

I went and banged on the door of the bank, since it was closed, and spoke to someone that came to the door, showed them on my laptop with my statement of account and they told me to call my bank and maybe a systems error. I told them their ATM was their problem, but they told me I needed to do a bank to bank investigation.

So, I called my bank in Edmonton and spoke to the account manager and they will investigate, but they said it was the Banco Populars problem with their ATM. But, Fact #1. I can only take out 600.00 CAD/day. Fact #2. $965.89 was debited. So, as I see it, it is both banks problems. I hate F$%^&& banks.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Ladrons

I recently had to go back to UK and checked my bank account to find this bank had doubled charged me 10 times in 14 months. 5 transactions doubled, the max I can take out per day is 10,000RD they took 20,000. My bank could only refund the last 3 out of 10. Has anyone else taken on this bank and won, I seem to remember problems there a couple of years ago

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Banco Popular is not the only bank where it happens, but it sure seems a lot more frequent there, in fact, I think we hear about it happening there, more than all the others combined, and yes, your bank is the only bank that can resolve it.
That must be why they do it.
They know they don't have to be held accountable when you complain.
Your bank may get it back from them, but think about all the people who don't notice, or don't fight hard enough to get refunded.
It seems to be a Banco Popular sideline business.

hicksy

Nov 25, 2005
My thoughts exactly Rocky. Lots of people never check their transactions. I hope alot of people read this and the other two posts and refuse to bank there................

hicksy

Nov 25, 2005
I wonder if this happens with bank cards that are issued from the Banco Popular? Or only from other banks.e rForeign accounts. Interesting programing if that is the case........................Show on the screen insufficient funds will debiting the money and pocketing it, while the foreign bank coughs up some of the lost funds. Nunca using them again. Ever heard of issues of the same genre with ScotiaBank?

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
It's happened to me with Scotiabank...

As I've posted previously, I tried to withdraw funds from Scotiabank in Sosua a few months ago and was told that the machine was unable to dispense funds and to try again later. On checking my peso account at Banco Santa Cruz in Sosua, I discovered that the money (approx 8000 pesos) had been debited from my account. Went straight into Santa Cruz and they were complete unphased by the problem, said "Oh the cashpoint must be broken" and filled in a form for me which took 2mins and said that the money would be back in my peso account within 7 days and it was!

However, this has also happened to me with another bank in Puerto Plata (I think it was Banco Popular - pulled into a cashpoint quickly at side of road) where it stated insufficient funds (which wasn't true) so I tried again and the transaction was processed. When I checked my online account (it was my British account this time) the first transaction attempt had also been debited. Obviously, retrieving the money was more difficult this time. My British bank re-credited funds immediately while investigating and were eventually told by the bank concerned that their cashpoint had, in fact, balanced on that day, so that I must have received the money! Not true! However, my bank (The Nationwide) very kindly left the credit in my account as a sign of goodwill as I was insistant that I hadn't received the money.

Now I try to withdraw funds at the counter during banking hours to avoid any grief! Can't believe Banco Popular, in particular, can consistently get away with this without some kind of regulation, even in the DR.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I wonder if this happens with bank cards that are issued from the Banco Popular? Or only from other banks.e rForeign accounts. Interesting programing if that is the case........................Show on the screen insufficient funds will debiting the money and pocketing it, while the foreign bank coughs up some of the lost funds.
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised, if that is so.
Never heard a single local with that complaint, yet we've heard countless complaints from gringos.

Ever heard of issues of the same genre with ScotiaBank?
Heard of 1 or 2 issues with other banks, can't remember if Scotia was one of them, but we have had several threads on Popular, with several people each time with similar compaints.
I guess it's their speciality.:ermm:

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I had a similar incident with the bank in Plaza Lindo in Las Terranas, I think it was the ATM at Scotia [I'm sure that's an incorrect spelling, but ...] When I returned to the capitol I checked my account online and found an ATM transaction I did not make from a location I still don't recognize. I immediately sent the bank an email and immediately withdrew as close to the balance in the account as I could at an ATM on El Conde. This is not the first time I have had this kind of theft at a DR ATM and so I try to be careful with the ATMs I use there. Can anyone explain what is going on? :angry:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
My British bank re-credited funds immediately while investigating and were eventually told by the bank concerned that their cashpoint had, in fact, balanced on that day, so that I must have received the money!
In other words, there is no doubt that it's a bank scam.
One might have believed that someone had hacked their way in, but when the offending bank says their cashpoinbt balanced, you know it's them running the scam.

hicksy

Nov 25, 2005
I would expect with the domino effect, that hundreds of thousands of dollars are being absorbed by these banks every year. Why hasn't anything been done to stop this.

B

batich

Scamming seems to be a national obsession! :disappoin

So far eso did not happen to me yet, but I am alert and check my laptop after each ATM withdrawal.

Also I keep a printout of DR1 disacussion of this problem to be presented to my banks if ever I have the issue.

But even with the current number of affected people a sort of joint or collective letter could be sent to DR Ministry of Interior and/or to a couple of newspapers. We have nothing to lose with it but can highlight the emerging problem.

Technically it can be done very easy keeping the petition for signatures in one of popular and frequented restaurants/joints . Rocky por ejemplo in Sosua. Or Cristal in POP.

And mailing it in say 5-6 weeks with kinda hundred firmas or more.

hicksy

Nov 25, 2005
I think your suggestion is terrific. Can this be organized on this site by one of the computor gurus like other polls and then go to the powers at be? Sure, some can say it isn't worth it. But, alot of people read this forum and I'm sure we may be surprised at the numbers on the polls and the amounts that have been scammed, if that is included in the poll. Thoughts?

hicksy

Nov 25, 2005
Ok, I just read the archives of the ongoing problem........going on for years..... Unbelievable that nothing has been done......................

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
This is why I don't have and never will have an ATM card. Scamming is a way of life here. Have you ever checked out your change back at Playero. It dosen't matter what the amount due is (18.1RD or 18.99RD) you will get back 1 peso on a 20RD exchange. They rip off thousands of people for 1 peso a day. Doesn't seem like much for each individual, but it is an extra 1000s of RD a day for them.

Bob K