Are all you expatriates so RUDE????

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Sheesh!

I'm over posting on this website.

Thanks Adrianb for your PM - I'll call you soon.

It seems to me that unless you have something controversial to say or you are FULL of B*llSh*t nobody wants to answer you.

I am new to the DR and WANT to meet expatriates. Are you all so far up yourselves that you can't even find the manners to respond to a newbie???

I'm not asking stupid questions about which way I should wipe my lilly white arse.... I want to meet real people who live in this beautiful country.

I'm so disappointed in all of you 'expatriates'.

C

Chip00

Damn bud - lay off the sauce already! Nobody is perfect here but I'm sure people have their reasons.

I'm sure that inspite of them you will still have a good time because Dominicans are a very friendly people - as long as one isn't to uptight - remember this is the Caribbean and everything moves at a slower pace!

Sanation

May 21, 2007
seems like you were responded to
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/62933-where-go-sd-meet-expats.html

i don't really see your issue.:cheeky:

one thing i can tell you is that your being rude isn't any answer.:bunny::bunny::bunny:

Thanks apostrophemen.

I posted the thread your refer to a couple of weeks ago before I arrived in the DR and basically had no replies. (Except for LarryS -bless you!)

My issue - it seems that unless you are "controverial", no-one wants to answer your threads. THAT is my issue.

I am currently in the DR on business and moving here permanently later in the year for my work. We REALLY want to meet other expariates living in the DR, particulary in Santo Domingo.

Now I have your attention, can SOMEONE tell me where to go in SD to meet Expatriates??????

Sanation

May 21, 2007
FINALLY - someone replies!

Sorry to cause 'waves'. Just a little bit fed up with being ignored.

My partner and I (who, by the way are fantastic, fun Aussies) just want to meet some other expats so as to not make any proverbial f*** ups (ie. would like to info on where to live in SD, hang out, etc. etc.)

Is that asking too much?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
My partner and I (who, by the way are fantastic, fun Aussies) just want to meet some other expats so as to not make any proverbial f*** ups (ie. would like to info on where to live in SD, hang out, etc. etc.)

Is that asking too much?
It would appear that if you have had to wait 2 weeks for an answer from someone in SD, then YES it IS too much. WE here on the North Coast however, are a much friendlier bunch of Poms & layabouts & as such we are more akin to your way of Aussie life/culture!!:cheeky: :pirate:

Good luck in the smoke & stressful Santo Domingo!! ~ ;) Grahame

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
Keep your chin up--one "newbie to another"

Keep your chin up. The anonymity of this site sometimes makes it easier for folks to be a little more "frank" than they would be face to face. Try to allow that to be a buffer around any responses you might receive. This is the first forum I have ever posted on, and it kind of blew me away too--still does, but the interest in the country, culture, language and people keep me lurking/posting/picking fights. :pirate:
I feel for you. Think of it this way... In your country of origin-if you picked up a paper and glanced through the classified section and saw an ad that said "stranger in town--wants to meet you? how would you respond?

I don't live in the DR (although this is my heart's desire), but I know that in the town where I live, I would be very hesitant to respond to an ad like this.

I'm not criticizing you for placing it; I think it is a totally valid interest. I just hope you will not take it personally. The fact is...none of us knows you, so we don't know if you are for real, an ax murderer, or a terrible bore...

You are probably a great person, and if I lived in the DR, it is possible that I would make an attempt at knowing more about you and your partner. It is also possible that I would be overwhelmed by the chaos of my own life, family responsibilities, social circles, job, survival, etc?that I would just skip over the post with no rudeness, or malice intended.

It may be a good idea to try to attend one of these events that have been posted. See "Santiago BBQ anyone" or "Rockies? 4th of July pool Party" (or something like that...it?s late). I would LOVE to be able to attend either of these to meet some of these characters (I say this with the utmost respect)! Just try it. I bet you will meet some great people.

I also ran across a thread called (something like) "a kinder, gentler forum-for newbies" that might be really helpful to you. It compared this forum to an already formed social group (like a fraternity) to which we, (as newbies) were applying...don't know if I'm ready to carry anyone's lunch tray for a year...but it may help understand some of the social dynamics/hazing that seems to go on. Hang in there.
Don't take it personal that few responded. There are probably a ton of reasons--most of them are not negative. Just think of how you might react in the middle of your "regular busy life" if you saw a post like this. Keep in mind that a lot of these people are working and raising families etc... It?s less about you and more about the pace of life. Hang in there newbie, and keep posting. It is an amazing country and the adventure will be one in a million! I envy you! lk

To the grammar/spelling cops--look, its late, I should already be asleep, and I just don't feel like running freakin' spell check--any chance you can cut me some slack??????:ermm:

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Bushbaby & Chichiquita - thank you SO much for you words of support.

My partner and I are moving here later in the year (around October - date to be confirmed). I am currently in SD on business and really hoped to meet some other expats.

I have been EXTREMELY lucky to have wonderful local business partners and legal counsel who have been amazing. It is not everyday that your company lawyer 'shouts' you an afternoon at the beauty parlour followed by lunch.

I had really hoped to meet some expats here in SD who would be able to impart wisdom on this '30 something' year old couple about to move to the otherside of the world.

Boca Bob

Jun 1, 2007
They do not have CB radios here good buudy, my "better half " is truck driver language.

What's your 20...........over

Roger that !!

EH !!

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
As already pointed out, I don't think it's a case of rudeness, it's just that maybe people were busy at the time you posted. It might have helped if you'd 'nudged' your thread to the top of the list again, by just posting a polite question about why the lack of response....

Also, if you'd posted a little earlier than a week before arriving, you would have had more time for people to see your post and respond to it and you may have had time for a few emails or messenger chats to go back and forth with people to build a bit of a rapport with them before arrival... It's always nice to try and find people you have something in common with rather than just 'grasping' at any old expat that comes your way.....

Another point you may have missed is that this is the first week of the school summer holidays so many people are either tied up with their families more than normal, or have taken the opportunity to go abroad etc.

I've lived on the North Coast for nearly 10 months and it takes time to forge friendships and 'hunt out' interesting and worthy people. Please remember that not all expats have your best interests at heart. There are those who may only be interested in what you can do for them.....

Just take your time and things will all fall into place....;)

vegasdiva

Dec 2, 2006
Sanation,

For how long are you in SD? I?ve been getting the same types of responses as you / either you're ignored or you're blasted. There are some I can't wait to meet, and then there are some . . . I love the Dominican people & their lifestyle. Being controversial? I don't even mean to be, but the biggest response I got was "shut down" fairly quickly. I was simply asking for clarification/explanation.

Like Chichiguita, I wish I were in your shoes - to already have a job and be moving there. I understand the anonimity of a ?forum? and it?s true, it?s easier to "appear rude" without the context of all the nonverbals than in "real life." I also see all the cynicism that many feel about dominicanos. I often wonder, "Then why are you still living there?"

I'll be there at the end of this month - briefly in SD - if you are still there. PM me and maybe we can make arrangements to hook up (not in the typical teenager way :)). Hang in there.

There's good and there's bad, no matter where you are. BTW, there IS incredibly useful info here on DR1. And some great blogs. I sometimes think others have "stolen" my life, my experiences. It's nice to be affirmed.

So here's your affirmation! Good for you, enjoy yourself!! I'll be there soon enough - and it will be soooooooo very hard to leave yet one more time. I'm preparing to stay on this trip, but it's looking less probable as the time approaches. I know, someday very soon, it will be my time to stay. Actually, this trip is the beginning of my residency and I simply have to go back to the states to take care of some business for a few months. hmmmm somehow that makes it easier.

vegasdiva

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As Bush pointed out, there doesn't seem to be an expat community spirit in Santo Domingo, like we have on the North coast.
Around here, we actually represent a small percentage of the population.
In Santo Domingo, the expats are a tiny portion of a percent, lost amongst the millions of Dominicans.
Had you asked the same question for the Sosua area, you would have received 15 or 20 responses.
If you choose to take a weekend off and come up for the BBQ pool party on July 1, you'll meet a bunch of great people, not to mention, having a good time.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/63448-4th-july-bbq-pool-party.html

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Well, I feel a teeny weeny bit slighted, as an expat (of sorts) who is based in Santo Domingo. As others have said, there are fewer of us and there is not an expat community as such, but those who are active on the forums like Juanita and myself do take a lot of time to reply to the SD-related questions that come up.

Off the top of my head there were two posters in the last week whose questions I took a lot of time and effort to respond to. They had very specific questions about living here that I was able to respond to. Maybe some of the answers could apply to you?

They also asked about "meeting fellow expats": there are no expat hangouts as such in the city, but some of the answers to these other posters might apply.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/santo-domingo/63276-moving-santo-domingo-late-2007-a.html
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/63406-anacaona-los-casicazques-huh.html
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/63260-moving-santo-domingo-august-07-a.html

I saw the Aussie question and thought there was no point in saying "No, I don't know any Aussies in SD" and hoped that if there were, they would reply. I suppose I could have made some obscure Sir Les reference but that might have been taken the wrong way by someone of a touchy nature.

BTW I'm pleased to hear adrianb is still lurking - he is missed as a poster!

Anyway I hope you won't take the fact that we rare marsupials (the Santo Domingo expats who post on DR1) failed to respond to your thread, as rudeness. It's just that we're not omni-present, omni-potent, or Australian!

In any case, as Robert will tell you, a full refund is available on request.:cheeky:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well, I feel a teeny weeny bit slighted, as an expat (of sorts) who is based in Santo Domingo. As others have said, there are fewer of us and there is not an expat community as such, but those who are active on the forums like Juanita and myself do take a lot of time to reply to the SD-related questions that come up. .:cheeky:
I hope it wasn't me doing the "slighting".
I certainly realize and appreciate all your contributions to DR1 and to those who need assistance.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I hope it wasn't me doing the "slighting".
I certainly realize and appreciate all your contributions to DR1 and to those who need assistance.
Hell no, Rocky. Your post was worded in such a way that it was clear you meant that there was not an expat scene in SD, or an expat community, not that the SD expats weren't helpful!:cheeky:

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Welcome to DR Sanation. Sorry for the delay but as Chirimoya said there is no place in particular where foreigners hang out. We have gatherings once in a while but it has been a while, maybe once you are here with your partner we can arrange to all meet up for a cold one. I am known as the shopping expert around here, so anything you?re looking for just ask! :cheeky:

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Hey Everyone

Thank you ALL for your constructive critisism and feedback.

I apologise if I offended anyone.

I have been reading this forum for the last month or so (since I was offered the opportunity to relocate here). The impression that I have gained is than unless (as a newbie) you are asking some truely ridiculous question that you don't receive a reply. Sad, I know, but that has been MY experience. For others, I am sure it has been different experience.

I didn't expect to have many replies regarding my "are there any Aussies living here" thread. I know that we are a relatively rare breed in this neck of the woods.

My partner, Kevin and I would welcome any advice that is on offer and would relish the opportunity for meeting up for a "cold one". We aren't axe murders or the like... just easy going, staight shooting Aussies who are very excited about starting a new life in this amazing country.

I trawl though the postings here everyday reading the words of wisdom on offer.

I would love to have gone to the 4th July party, but unfortunately I am heading back to Australia at the end of the week. I will be back again in late August before we finally make 'the big move' in October/November.

Thank you again for all your replys.

Susan

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No hard feelings, Susan.
Why not start a new thread with specific questions you have about living here and be sure to get in touch when you're back so we can set up a get-together.