My Wife's Cousin.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Congratulations, Eliaz!
Your off to a Great Start!

World day against child labor
Today is international day against child labor and despite this being a big problem in the Dominican Republic, Diario Libre writes that 47% of Dominicans don't have the proper information on the issue. According to a report released by the Labor Ministry and the PUCMM University, "Perceptions of Child Labor by Dominican Society" there are 436,000 child workers in the DR and 43% of the population say that they "tolerate and justify dignified child labor". In fact, Hoy writes that only 5.8% of the population is against child labor. Part of the study also indicates that 60% of Dominicans feel that children can work without it interfering with their studies. Elias Dinzey, who presented the findings, says that this perception needed to change. In all 2,200 people were interviewed as part of the research and according to the findings, 15% believed that work teaches children good values.

Tim

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tim!! After all this time!! Where are you? We miss seeing your posts...
At least PM me with news.

Regarding your post, you are quite right (as is the report) to say that most Dominicans see nothing strange with kids working in the streets to get a few pesos. Or in more formal atmospheres, such as work shops for auto repairs, or other services.

We do not see it in the Free Zones (as you well know) because most of the companies are trying to comply with some ISO or another, or from fear that a camaraman will show up and create a stink back in the "real world".

So your wife's cousin (once or twice removed??) was one of the researchers.
Well done.

All the best,

HB

Feb 7, 2007
I don't understand what does this have to do with your wife's cousin ??

Is he one of the children mentioned that has to work?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
....Congratulations, Eliaz!
Elias Dinzey, who presented the findings, says that this perception needed to change. Tim

It's not an issue of perception, it's a question of basic economics. My nearest neighbors in Azua, including my remote relatives living in rural communities south of San Juan de la Maguana, could not provide the only single daily family meal, if the children did not contribute with their work to the family finances. Timex, tell your cousin to travel to rural communities in the DR South West, and give the parents a lecture, and make them change their perceptions regarding child labor. I'm sure that in many urban areas of the DR the situation is the same.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
HELLLOOOO Hillbilly!

Eli is my wife?s 1st cousin, just recently got appointed as Director of what he does for the U.N.

I have a post that I?ve been working on, covering the last 3 years, I think this weekend, I?ll start putting it up.

On a Side-Note, during the end of MAY, I went shopping at the Acropolis Mall, absolutely dead and vacant of shoppers.

Fell flat on my face to find that Citi-Bank no longer has an ATM in the mall. The told me to go to the Citi-Bank Branch 5 min, away, no ATM in the branch also, asked the lady how do I get Grand, out of my account, and she could not help me!:bored:

Driving around the Capital, I laughed Everytime I saw one of those huge METRO Sink-holes, F?ing up traffic. Real Money Pits! :laugh:

Took a crowd to Club Guacara Taina, on a Saturday night and except for some Looky-Loos coming in for photos, we had the whole place to our selves. Not one single paying customer wandered in, from 10pm to 1am. It was kind of sad, one way, but being treated a VIP?s was cool.;)

Made a quick day trip up north to visit family, that was good.

Parkacita was a ghost town on Sunday.

Club Guacara Taina
DSC00407.JPG

North Shore.
My wife in the Middle with her 2 Sisters.

DSC00279.JPG

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Timex...I can't believe your posting again...I've missed you guys too!!!

Your wife is beautiful as always...

About Guacara Taina...I was never able to go there on any of my trips...they were always 'fixing' it or something...

I like that place!!!

Please do post your story for the last 3 years...I always wondered what happened to you guys...

Mrs. MQ