4x4 or normal car?

gloryboy

May 28, 2007
Hi Peps

Just a general question, we will be moving to the dr soon and wondered if it was one of those countries that better suits a 4x4, or is it fine to get around most of the island in a normal car.

cheers in advance

Sanation

May 21, 2007
I'm certainly no expert as this is my first visit to the DR, but my partner and I are preparing to relocate here later in the year for business. I have spoken to many people locally and also read widely on the subject and the consensus is a 4X4 is better.

Many of the roads are in poor condition (ie. large potholes). Today it is raining cats & dogs in Santo Domingo and many roads are flooded. It is my opinion that a normal car would find it very difficult to negotiate the floodwaters and potholes.

I have found the "Lonely Planet" guide to the Dominican Republic a very useful resource.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Frog drives 4WD

... better suits a 4x4, or is it fine to get around most of the island in a normal car.
It all depends where most of your driving will be done.
If you're going to lead a city life there's no need for a 4WD.

(If you are in a pothole where you need a 4x4 to get out you goofed anyway. :laugh:
Apropos potholes: Go for a car with at least 14 or even better 15" wheels.)

As a 'campesino

' you'd definately be better off with a 4WD light truck (camioneta) or a Yipeta*.

m'frog

*) Do?a Frog is selling hers. ;)

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
We live in Puerto Plata and have a RAV4 (front wheel drive). We stay on the paved roads and have not had a problem. Well there was this one time we went off into the country side, dirt roads. It rained like crazy, cause when it rains here it really rains. We only got stuck once, and were pulled out by a 4X4. If you're staying own paved roads front wheel drive and high clearance should work. If in doubt get that 4X4.

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
I would say if you are planning to leave the city a 4x 4 is definitely the one to choose.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
small car ---go around potholes................4x4 ---go over potholes........my preference is 4 x 4, but, in Santo Domingo i have driven small japanese cars many places that 4 x 4s just couldn't fit, very narrow streets, parking spots, between buildings. i have been in situations in the countryside that when stuck, myself and some local farmers just used muscle to pick the car up. i have driven small japanese cars between trees and up the mountain, places usually reserved for motorcycles..............i find the ideal vehicle to be toyota rav 4, you sit up higher in traffic, can have 4 wheel drive, small enough for tight spots, and good on 5 dollar a gallon gas. get one a little worn as you don't want to stand out as target for criminals. another great vehicle is the mitsubishi L200, diesel. not sold in the US it is a cross between a SUV and a small pick-up.....................

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Hi Peps

Just a general question, we will be moving to the dr soon and wondered if it was one of those countries that better suits a 4x4, or is it fine to get around most of the island in a normal car.

cheers in advance

If you ever want to visit us you will need a vehicle with 'high clearance' and in rainy weather preferably a 4 x 4.... and personally I prefer the height of a bigger (higher) vehicle being a little female - makes me feel a bit more confident on the roads with the driving here!!!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
2x4 vs. 4x4

While it is my opinion that a jeep or pickup type vehicle is the indicated choice around here for those who don't plan to limit themselves to drive within Santo Domingo or Santiago city limits, I don't think that it necessarily has to be a 4x4, unless one needs to do off-road expeditions. All-wheel drives have much more moving parts on the front which will require added maintenance. In 99% of the cases a though and high 2x4 will do and save you money.

... J-D.

gloryboy

May 28, 2007
Thank you very much every single one of you, when i get to the island i will look at getting a L200, Hilux or something similar, i will forget the suburu impreza WRX

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
Be prepared

Also remember,your 4x4 or car will not look good for long,take a look at most vehicles; they get pranged all the time,on the rosds ,in car parks,and most people just drive off,i would never advise you to get a nice vehicle here,heed the warning,take care ,and good luck.;)