Need help re pool pump please

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We have a Hayward Superpump Self Priming pool pump. Seems the self primer has packed up - can anyone tell us where we might be able to get one please? We live near Sabaneta so closer to home the better.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
WhirleyBird
You might want to check the gasket if it has a filter basket with a square clear plastic cover. An air leak in this gasket will stop it priming. Air in the pipe system will also mean it can take 5 to 10 minutes to prime itself.

Its worth a check of the rubber gasket - they are probably availalble from American Water in Sosua.

Olly

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Thanks for the helpful reply, Olly, but I am told that it is not the gasket but the primer itself which needs replacing - will try American Water Co. on Friday when next in Sosua. Cheers.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Pool Guy

Sounds like you're aware mechanically and all, but just in case, our pool guy lives in Sabaneta if you would like him to take a look at it. Perhaps get him to go buy the part for you and get the local's price if you're not already hooked up.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Pool guy

Sounds like you're aware mechanically and all, but just in case, our pool guy lives in Sabaneta if you would like him to take a look at it. Perhaps get him to go buy the part for you and get the local's price if you're not already hooked up.

Sounds the best solution to us, could you please supply his contact details to us? Would be really grateful if he would be prepared to come and have a look especially after what mountainfrog has said!!

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Parts

we don't have an explosive drawing...

partspumpssuperpumpdr1.gif

m'frog

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
pool problems

Plz PM me and I'll give you the info for the pool guy. He is inexpensive, reliable and speaks passable English. He's been with us a couple of years or so.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Whirleybird,
Its items No 4 and 5 that often cause the problems - item 5 is the gasket I mentioned. Items 7, 8 oftem dont tighten properly and cause an air leak. We have one of these for our pool so know it well.
Thanks m'frog and tflea for the additional info

Olly.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Pump Issues

This is what I do for a living.
Try these things in this order. First make sure the front drain cog is tight and with washer. If not, it will suck air. Then confirm that the gasket is making a proper seal. An easy way to check this is to let your garden hose pour water on top of the pump lid as you run the pump. If it is grabbing air from between the lid and gasket, it will solidify doing this test and you will know where the air is being drawn from. Make sure the impellar hasn't spun off the shaft. Check to see if the skimmer weir is stuck. Make sure the water level is fine. Remember that these self priming pumps still need to be filled with water the first time. They don't need to be filled after that. Make sure the mechanical seal is good to. There is no primer in the pump, just like M'frog stated.
Good luck
Steve