Lawnmower Purchase

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Does anyone know a good place to buy a new lawnmower in the Santiago area without paying about $500 U.S. ?

The lowest price at OchoA is over $16,000 pesos.
PriceSmart had one for $10,500+/- pesos, but sold out before I got the money together to buy one.

Thanks

A

apostropheman

a goat might be cheaper:cheeky:
:bunny::bunny::bunny: and more eco friendly:laugh:

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
we paid about RD$15k for a self-propelled and have been satisfied. You just may have to bite the bullet and pay the exhorbitant price. You'll get what you pay for. If I remember it was from Ochoa or similar. I did not like what we saw at PriceSmart.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Tongue in cheek response....

This response is dedicated to: apostropheman & bienamor

I just happened to passing Hache in Santiago, I stopped in to see their lawnmower prices. They are usually very high priced on everything.

Lo and behold, they are having a clearance sale on lawnmowers, guess they are not a member of the "Green Peace Berets".

A 5 HP (Horrible Polluter for you Green Peace Beret folks), which was normally priced at $18,306 pesos, was on sale for just $7,999 pesos.

Needless to say, I high tailed it straight to Marco's Cambio and exchanged some Green Backs for Dominican Pesos. (Actually, I used a check to be accurate).

The lawnmowers are "Poulon" and the engines are Briggs&Stratton. Mine has the large rear wheel which makes it easier to push.

So if I add some extra oil to the gasoline, I can kill three birds with one stone.

(1) Get the grass cut.

(2) Chase away the mosquitos with the smoke.

and

(3) Pollute the environment all at the same time......

I did not want to have to deal with picking up all the Goat crap.
?Any of you goat herders need some extra food for your goats?

Don SantiagoDR

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
You Actually Cut Your Own Grass????

If you also cook,clean,and do laundry,would you like to work for me????
Cris Colon

Not really that much grass, just about 10 feet on all sides of the house, pool, kioska. My lot is rectangular.

Besides Criss, as a true Maestro of many facets, my rates are probably not affordable.

I do many things here myself, less chance of getting ripped off. Plus more security for me as less people on my property to worry about. During construction I always make sure those on the property are the workers, many times others try to enter as if they are working on the construction. I have chased off many of them when construction was going on.

The "Maestro" that my engineer hired to do the Spanish tile roof on my kioska took 3 months to do it. And that was with me going out and taking videos of other people?s roofs so this Maestro could see how to do it. Even then, after putting down tar paper on the roof, he built a wooden ladder with nails sticking out to keep it from sliding off the roof, thus putting holes thru the tar paper. He put the tiles in place by drilling holes in them and screwing them down. My kioska roof is now an excellent "Bird" sanctuary, they go in under the side of the tiles and the ends to build nests.....

All joking aside, anyone looking for a lawnmower, now is the time to buy one from Hache while they are on clearance. Prices almost as low as in the states, even the riding lawnmowers are fairly reasonable in price.

I chose the one with large rear wheels becasue it is easier to handle and control in odd shape places, self-propell is okay if you have a large lot with not many tricky places to get into to cut.

Corection on the name of mine, it?s "Poulan, made by Electrolux". It runs great, the engine like I said is Briggs&Stratton.

Don SantiagoDR

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
December 2005, I paid 12 000.00 pesos for a Briggs & Stratton, 4.5 HP, 22'' rotary mower with large rear wheels at Iberia en Higuey.

A

apostropheman

when i eventually retire to the DR i would like a goat...and a simple house in the barrio, perhaps with a mango tree and a lime tree.

call me simple but...:bunny::bunny::bunny:
This response is dedicated to: apostropheman & bienamor

I just happened to passing Hache in Santiago, I stopped in to see their lawnmower prices. They are usually very high priced on everything.

Lo and behold, they are having a clearance sale on lawnmowers, guess they are not a member of the "Green Peace Berets".

A 5 HP (Horrible Polluter for you Green Peace Beret folks), which was normally priced at $18,306 pesos, was on sale for just $7,999 pesos.

Needless to say, I high tailed it straight to Marco's Cambio and exchanged some Green Backs for Dominican Pesos. (Actually, I used a check to be accurate).

The lawnmowers are "Poulon" and the engines are Briggs&Stratton. Mine has the large rear wheel which makes it easier to push.

So if I add some extra oil to the gasoline, I can kill three birds with one stone.

(1) Get the grass cut.

(2) Chase away the mosquitos with the smoke.

and

(3) Pollute the environment all at the same time......

I did not want to have to deal with picking up all the Goat crap.
?Any of you goat herders need some extra food for your goats?

Don SantiagoDR

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
when i eventually retire to the DR i would like a goat...and a simple house in the barrio, perhaps with a mango tree and a lime tree.

call me simple but...:bunny::bunny::bunny:
Apos, there is no reason to settle for a goat. There are an adundance of fine Dominicanas around...;)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I think Apos may be onto something here!

Goat's Mama's never get sick and ask for Western Union.
How many Nanny Goat's need milk and pamper's for their kids?

tambo'

A

apostropheman

that's why we get along so well...great minds and all that...:cheeky:
I think Apos may be onto something here!

Goat's Mama's never get sick and ask for Western Union.
How many Nanny Goat's need milk and pamper's for their kids?

tambo'

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
My Before/After lawnmower pictures.

It will take a while to cut it all........
Darn stones in the grass are a real pain (Literally).

This is why the Santiago BBQ is not being hosted at my place this time.

The wife begged and begged for that nice golf course grass,
after I dished out hundreds of dollars to buy it, she never took care of it.

YES!

Believe it or not, that is golf course type grass, over one foot high in spots.
(Plus all the weeds)

6g1cwih.jpg

54ckrcl.jpg

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Well

My Before/After lawnmower pictures.

It will take a while to cut it all........
Darn stones in the grass are a real pain (Literally).

This is why the Santiago BBQ is not being hosted at my place this time.

The wife begged and begged for that nice golf course grass,
after I dished out hundreds of dollars to buy it, she never took care of it.

YES!

Believe it or not, that is golf course type grass, over one foot high in spots.
(Plus all the weeds)

6g1cwih.jpg

54ckrcl.jpg

You did not want the goat anyway, you needed a sheep. Goats are browsers, not as good as sheep for lawn mowing. :bunny::bunny: