road from santiago to puerto plata

since84

May 30, 2007
Does anyone know the current road condition between Santiago and Puerto Plata? I've read about some landslides on the highway. Will be driving this coming weekend. Thanks in advance for any accurate updates.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The major highway going through the tunnel is fine, except for the construction nearer POP....not to say perfect.

the Tourist Highway Gregorio Luper?n is seriously damaged in a couple of places and they are working on it. Passable of course. I would advise caution. And patience.

HB

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Drove the tourist (mountain road) highway last week and it was just slightly worse then usual but still the quickest way from the east side of Puerto Plata.

Bob K

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Drove the tourist (mountain road) highway last week and it was just slightly worse then usual but still the quickest way from the east side of Puerto Plata.

Bob K

Turistica has my vote 100%. and I go to Stgo. every week.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I was on tourist route about 10 days ago. My observation same as BobK

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
POP-Navarete-STI

I have been taking this road a couple of times recently (including this week) and found it quite good. There must have been a slide off in between the tunnel and POP as there is some serious (and quite well done) repair work being done... so there's about 100m of gravel road at this time, but it's getting better every time.

... J-D.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I got shaken down by a military officer for the first time, coming from POP into Santiago right by first roundabout. I travel this road a lot and this is the first time it happened, it was about 10pm. I did not know what he wanted (I figured he wanted money but I was pretending not to speak spanish - which is not difficult for me...lol) I kept talking to him in English and showing all my car and ID papers but he wouldn't let me go. I probably could have just driven away but I paid him 100 pesos and he left. It wasnt worth the possible problems. I know paying perpetuates this bull**** but i was pretty tired at this time from driving the STI-POP road in the rain at night, with wipers not working properly.