Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Important: British women married to Dominicans

As some may remember, when I was shot I had no help from the British embassy. they said, as I was married to a Dominican I was not their responsibility. My mother has since contacted her MP, who has been in communication with the Foreign and Commonwealth office, the Dominican embassy in London, and the British embassy here. The bottom line is, after you have been married to a Dominican national for more than six months, the British embassy has a 'Protocol' that you are to be classed as a dual citizen. Even if you do not have Dominican nationality. From 6 months after your marriage you lose all rights to any assistance from the British embassy and become the responsibility of the Dominican Government (God help us!!). No problems if you are living together. You are still entitled to help. The only thing the embassy will do is notify your UK family in the event of your death.

Be warned!!!!

I have no idea if this applies to men marrying Dominican women as well, or if it applies in other countries. Just thought if there are any more Brit ladies out there, married to Dominicans then you should know this!

matilda

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Matilda hope this helps - theyve changed the rules!!

Border & Immigration Agency | BN18 - Information about dual nationality
    Last edited by Chris; 06-14-2007 at 09:11 PM. Reason: (A link is sufficient, copying the whole structure of the webpage is a little tooo much!

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

The point is, Ladybird, that even if you do not have Dominican Nationality, which most of us do not, if you marry a Dominican after 6 months the British embassy here WILL NOT HELP YOU!!! If you are arrested, shot or whatever. This is important for all women married to Dominicans. If I had known this I might have thought twice about being married.

matilda

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    the British embassy has a 'Protocol' that you are to be classed as a dual citizen. Even if you do not have Dominican nationality. From 6 months after your marriage you lose all rights to any assistance from the British embassy and become the responsibility of the Dominican Government

The British Embassy may have such a 'protocol' to the effect, however I suspect it goes against British law and international conventions. I suggest you contact your MP about this.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My mother has since contacted her MP, who has been in communication with the Foreign and Commonwealth office, the Dominican embassy in London, and the British embassy here.

matilda
    It looks to me like Matilda already had contacted an MP (via her mother). Doesn't look like it's made any difference......

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tu punta es?

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybird View Post
    Matilda hope this helps - theyve changed the rules!!

Border & Immigration Agency | BN18 - Information about dual nationality
    Your link has nothing to do with the subject matter of the OP. Your link concerns dual nationality NOT:You become (after six months) ........
    yada yada do.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This is important for all women married to Dominicans. If I had known this I might have thought twice about being married.

matilda
    Just out of interest Matilda (and not because I'm suggesting anything untoward....) what happens if you get divorced? Do you automatically revert back to your previous status as a British Citizen who is entitled to help or are there still complications to consider?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's bs. there is a clause on the link that says:

"Under the nationality laws of some countries, a married person automatically has his or her partner's nationality and children have a parent's nationality wherever they were born. So, if your wife, husband or child is visiting the country of your nationality, this advice may apply to them also, but you should check this."

but I don't believe that by marrying a dominican you receive automatic citizenship status. So it may be an informal policy that they have, but probably not a true govt. policy.

There is the issue that if you are in a country where you hold citizenship, another country where you hold citizensip won't help you - this isn't the case.

Many countries have changed their policies on helping their citizens when abroad since the Lebanon crisis last year. Canada for instance evacuated some 15 000 citizens, which ran near $100m.

Still I believe that it is in your right to get assistance in the case of an arrest, seeing that you have not taken up DR citizenship.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johne View Post
    Your link has nothing to do with the subject matter of the OP. Your link concerns dual nationality NOT:You become (after six months) ........
    yada yada do.
    John read it again - you will spot what Uruguayo did - the info is not soley on Dual nationality

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johne View Post
    yada yada do.
    John read it again - you will spot what Uruguayo did - the info is not soley on dual nationality

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast