DR hotel occupancy rate is dropping....

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
According to ASONAHORES, hotel occupancy rate has dropped dramatically from last year (2006-2007). Here?s some figures, by region in percentage points?

Boca Chica/Juan Dolio .?.. ?3.8%
Sosua/Cabarete?.. ?4.4%
Samanᅅ. ?8.2%
Puerto Plata?.. ?1.6%
Romana/Bayahibe?.. ?1.4%

DIARIOLIBRE

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
This could be because of passports now needed from US to DR. I'm sure someone else will chime in about the increase of crime.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Look at the increase in flight costs and taxes.

People used to look at the DR as a cheap vacation compared to a lot of other places but its becoming so it isnt . When the costs of the airfare and taxes to come to the DR are the same or even higher than a lot of other destinations people will visit other places.

Prices of everything keep going up both in the DR and peoples home countries also. Take into account the crappy situation the US economy is in which brings in a lot of tourist money and you have a bad combination.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Over supply of rooms?

I agree somewhat with Beads. The DR marketed itself as an inexpensive paradise. It no longer is, and other options are now available for equal tourist dollars elsewhere.

I wonder if the increase in crime has attracted the attention of travel agents, too, and they may be recommending other places.

I disagree about the US economy. Virtually every economic indicator is high and inflation is low..

B

batich

According to ASONAHORES, hotel occupancy rate has dropped dramatically from last year (2006-2007). Here?s some figures, by region in percentage points?

Boca Chica/Juan Dolio .?.. ?3.8%
Sosua/Cabarete?.. ?4.4%
Samanᅅ. ?8.2%
Puerto Plata?.. ?1.6%
Romana/Bayahibe?.. ?1.4%

DIARIOLIBRE

Would be interesting to see data on Punta Cana - the biggest rip-off of all. From taxi - $25-$30 even a very short trip between two resorts, to rent car (up to $100 per day easy) and "company" (two-three times higher than even in Sosua).

Some European friends recently spent on their vacation about 50% more than it would cost them in Cote d`Azur.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I disagree about the US economy. Virtually every economic indicator is high and inflation is low..

My reasonings being fuel costs are at an almost all time high raising the prices of almost all goods.

Payscales are not keeping up with this to any extent.

Now throw in the sub prime issues with peoples homes. There are more homes currently for sale in some of the biggest real estate markets in the US and their costs are far lower than they were last year. I see houses that were selling for 600,000 now for sale for 400,000 and theres tons of them.

Foreclosures are everywhere and people are scared the prices will drop more so the house flippers are scared to invest.

For a lot of people their homes value is one of their major long term investments. If their home is losing value their losing money on one of their most important long term investments.

Yea Bush and his financial analysts say the economy is doing great but if you dont have major assets in oil companies like him and his cronies your not raking in the windfalls of cash they currently are and will probably be seeing things a little more from my perspective.

Just my 0.02.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
We also have to take into account that things in Cancun, Mexico are back up to speed and they've even opened new hotels with big promotion for the area. Along with all of the below mentioned, it's affected us a bit.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
A friend, who is one of a group of young Canadians who have given up and left, told me weeks ago, that his pal at the airport said this last tourist season, over 600 flights from Canada were cancelled. My complex is normally full in the season, this year there were many empty apartments, the snowbirds didnt come. Also didnt anyone notice that the streets were relatively quiet compared to previous seasons. Normally you cant move in Cabarete, this year is was different.

Its sad - for all of us

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Yea Bush and his financial analysts say the economy is doing great but if you dont have major assets in oil companies like him and his cronies your not raking in the windfalls of cash they currently are and will probably be seeing things a little more from my perspective.

Just my 0.02.
Not bashing, but you don't have a strong background in economics, do you?

There are many independant economists who would disagree with you.

Do you know what % of the world's oil companies are US based and owned?

Feel free to bash anyone, but at least do it armed with facts.

B

batich

Really sad?

A friend, who is one of a group of young Canadians who have given up and left, told me weeks ago, that his pal at the airport said this last tourist season, over 600 flights from Canada were cancelled. My complex is normally full in the season, this year there were many empty apartments, the snowbirds didnt come. Also didnt anyone notice that the streets were relatively quiet compared to previous seasons. Normally you cant move in Cabarete, this year is was different.

Its sad - for all of us

Why is it sad?!

Do you prefer crowd, noise and contamination/garbage associated with the influx of tourists?
Do tens of thousands of tourists do good for the coastal ecology and quality of life?

I am of a different opinion.

Current wave of violent crime against gringos is a very bad thing for sure. But less tourists - should be welcome.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Why is it sad?!

Do you prefer crowd, noise and contamination/garbage associated with the influx of tourists?
Do tens of thousands of tourists do good for the coastal ecology and quality of life?

I am of a different opinion.

Current wave of violent crime against gringos is a very bad thing for sure. But less tourists - should be welcome.
Fewer tourists spending fewer dollars will just make the crime situation worse for everybody.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I was in SD during Memorial Day weekend - there were no vacancies in some hotels (Marriott for example). Planes were full and airports crowded. Everyone seems to be headed in that direction. I will choose a different time to go next time - not a long holiday weekend :)

B

batich

Fewer tourists spending fewer dollars will just make the crime situation worse for everybody.

Respectfully have to disagree. Influx of tourists attracts criminal and other undesirable elements to the areas affected by tourism.

It is a proven fact in many touristic destinations of the world. Criminals have nothing to do in areas without deep pocketed Western tourists.

Also, cost of life becomes higher due to the touristic infestation as business owners immediatelly increase prices on everything. And poor local population has to pay these new prices, not only rich NA tourists.

Tourism is good for maybe 5% of population - hotel and restaurant owners. For the rest it means loss of the natural beauty of the wonderful Caribbean island Espanola.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Respectfully have to disagree. Influx of tourists attracts criminal and other undesirable elements to the areas affected by tourism.

It is a proven fact in many touristic destinations of the world. Criminals have nothing to do in areas without deep pocketed Western tourists.

Also, cost of life becomes higher due to the touristic infestation as business owners immediatelly increase prices on everything. And poor local population has to pay these new prices, not only rich NA tourists.

Tourism is good for maybe 5% of population - hotel and restaurant owners. For the rest it means loss of the natural beauty of the wonderful Caribbean island Espanola.
What about all the folks who earn a living from the tourists? What do they do to replace their incomes?

There are those who believe the bar curfew has fueled crime because it has effected the incomes of so many people.

B

batich

What about all the folks who earn a living from the tourists? What do they do to replace their incomes?

To go to work. And not to sit all day in the beach trying to sell a T-shirt to somebody at 500% mark-up nor to drive around all day on the moto looking for $2 passengers.

Like all people work in many Northen prosperous non-touristic very developped countries with very difficult climate and weather conditions.

The remedy against poverty is very simple. But there is very few takers. Much more complainers.

Jan 5, 2006
It would be interesting to see how these figures compare to figures from places like Mexico, Costa Rica and Brazil. That would tell us a lot about whether this is only a DR related issue or a more global occurrence.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
To go to work. And not to sit all day in the beach trying to sell a T-shirt to somebody at 500% mark-up nor to drive around all day on the moto looking for $2 passengers.

Like all people work in many Northen prosperous non-touristic very developped countries with very difficult climate and weather conditions.

The remedy against poverty is very simple. But there is very few takers. Much more complainers.
Ok.

You don't know.

Got it.

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
Man, batich - you have a VERY odd perspective.

Not much of a devotee of real-world economics, are you? To say that tourism only benefits hotels and restaurants is..well...is infantile.

Exactly WHERE should all these people "go to work", who currently eek out a few bucks hawking tshirts on the beach?

And crime is not a direct result of poverty? Tell that to the folks in South Central LA, Liberty City, etc.

It hasn't occurred to you to ponder a little? Hmmm....tourism way down, crime way up, simultaneously? Reckon there's any sort of connection?

Mark Twain had some outstanding advice. "It's better to remain silent, and have people think you're a fool, than to open your mouth, and remove all doubt."

But maybe it's just me....maybe is better to ignore facts, and just tell everyone to go get a job - without recalling that DR unemployment is pretty high. This means- there aren't tons of jobs out there, even IF your friends, the tshirt hawkers, weren't too lazy to work. Let's stick to your plan- preserve the natural beauty, while crime escalates to the point that no one is safe trying to enjoy it. Yea- that's the ticket. We can all admire the natural beauty from the safety of our armored cars...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
My reasonings being fuel costs are at an almost all time high raising the prices of almost all goods.

Payscales are not keeping up with this to any extent.

Now throw in the sub prime issues with peoples homes. There are more homes currently for sale in some of the biggest real estate markets in the US and their costs are far lower than they were last year. I see houses that were selling for 600,000 now for sale for 400,000 and theres tons of them.

Foreclosures are everywhere and people are scared the prices will drop more so the house flippers are scared to invest.

For a lot of people their homes value is one of their major long term investments. If their home is losing value their losing money on one of their most important long term investments.

Just my 0.02.
How does all ^^^this^^^ effect Europeans tourists who also seem to in shorter supply. Bush isn't responsible for them, is he?

The US is hardly the sole source of DR tourists.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Espanola and More

...wonderful Caribbean island Espanola.
Huh?
Española, New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tourism is not a devilish thing.
In other countries it has led to a higher GDP which benefitted the population as a whole.
Here this is not so.

Unscrupulous entrepreneurs from abroad as well as within the country skim off profits and pay off politicians to secure their businesses.
The damage to the environment or the locals' living conditions is left unchecked.
The infrastructure cannot cope with a wild proliferation of projects financed by often shady sources.

Strange enclaves like the Punta Cana area only show how perverse the development has come.

m'frog