Sending Barrel food !

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I really cannot say. There are companies that specialize in this and they may have some suggestions. There are some threads on the board dealing with people sending food down in specific containers - try searching the board ..

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
what exactly is Barrel Food? the only food I know that comes in a barrel is pickles...and wine and beer, though they're not really food...unless you're on a liquid diet!

hmmmm...now that I think about it.. I'd LOVE a good NY barrel pickle...garlic dill maybe...anyone coming to the north coast soon that lives near Delancey St. in NYC??? :bunny:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Duh

what exactly is Barrel Food? the only food I know that comes in a barrel is pickles...and wine and beer, though they're not really food...unless you're on a liquid diet!

hmmmm...now that I think about it.. I'd LOVE a good NY barrel pickle...garlic dill maybe...anyone coming to the north coast soon that lives near Delancey St. in NYC??? :bunny:

OP is talking about blue containers. Just about ANYTHING shipped from NYC is valued and wanted in the DR/ The list of goods should include:cooking oil, rice, juices, pasta, batteries, soup, spices.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Just about anything brand name cost double in the DR. I pack a suitcase of Campbells clam chowder, Velvetta mac and cheese, Helmans mayo, BumbleBee tuna, Ocean spray concentrated cranberry juice, ect.....

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
Shipping Companies for Barrels?

OP is talking about blue containers.

I've heard it's inexpensive to ship food this way. Can someone post info about their experience with this service and which companies in NY offer it?

Thanks

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I've heard it's inexpensive to ship food this way. Can someone post info about their experience with this service and which companies in NY offer it?

Thanks
Been posted a gazzion times. Do a search all info is there.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Its getting old

OP is talking about blue containers.

It sounds like you may have something blue in your container by your response to both people on this thread. I was under the impression this board is about helping people, not mocking their message board protocol.

cheers,

tambo'

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
More information

It sounds like you may have something blue in your container by your response to both people on this thread. I was under the impression this board is about helping people, not mocking their message board protocol.

cheers,

tambo'

1) Blue containers: can be bought at a company that does this type of shipping from NYC to DR. Drum about 4' high. In some nabes can buy in large supermarkets. Cost $25-35.00.
2) Fill with items that I prev. mentioned along with suggestion of other poster that said just about anything costs double in DR.
Need: Coffee, jucies, oil, rice, bean, canned items
3) Call a shipping company that will pick up and deliver door to door. Usually promise 4 weeks but that means the drum is in the DR. Figure on about another week to del. to house.
4) Cost: $100
5) Monumental (shipping) in NYC was the company I used last. Don't have tel. # here but I'm sure you can find in directory.
john

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Coffee,Beans,Rice??????????????? You Got To Be kidding!

Coffee is $2 a pound in the DR! Hellmans "Mayo" now costs less in Supermercado National than in a Convenience store in the USA!
Some good items to ship are Canned Tuna,"SPAM", Velveta Cheese, Canned ham. The idea is to ship "High Value" items that are either not available in the DR,or VERY High Priced there,but not here!!! Shipping "Beans,Rice,or Coffee defeats the purpose! If your family needs "Food",go to;(mandale.com) you [pay here using your credit card,they pick up the food at Supermercado National there!
Cris Colon

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I agree with some people who say its probably better to send money and have the people do their own shopping. When my relatives go on vacation there, first they send a barrel of food, for their consumption while there. They send rice, oil, coffee, can beans, sazon, oats, powder juice mixes, carnation milk, dry beans, spaghetti, etc.etc. When I go I've brought tuna, sardines, whole oats, spaghetti, I used to bring coffee (bustelo) but I like Cafe Santo Domingo now. You can find anything you like down there. If I'm gonna spend $80 on shipping this barrel, which is how much is costs, I rather use it down there to go grocery shopping.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Why On Earth Would You Send "Rice, Canned Beans, Carnation Milk,

Powdered juice mixes,Sazon,etc.???????????????????????????/
Those are ALL available here!
Ever hear about "Carrying Coals To Newcastle"??????????????
I just don't get it!
Please help me see the advantage in doing it????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Bloomhaven

Apr 19, 2007
Depends where you live

Powdered juice mixes,Sazon,etc.???????????????????????????/
Those are ALL available here!
Ever hear about "Carrying Coals To Newcastle"??????????????
I just don't get it!
Please help me see the advantage in doing it????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Perhaps the advantage depends on where you are shipping the items to. In Las Terrenas, for example, there is no Supermercado Nacional, and many things that are easy to find in Santiago are hard to find or unavailable there.
I'm speaking in general though, not commenting on any specific items mentioned.

SEXYCHULA325

Feb 11, 2008
Need A Good Recommendation On A Shipping Agency To Santiago, Dom Rep.

:bunny:Yes, I Need To Send A Barrel Of Food, Etc...i've Used One Company Back In November Of 2007 And Was Very Unhappy - They Told Me The Food Would Be There By X-mas And No More Than 21 Days And I Actually Had To Go To Puerto Plata From The Country Side About 2 Hrs Or More To Get My Families Goods And It Was 36 Days Already. I Need To Know If Anyone Can Help Me With A Good Shipping Company To Santiago, Dominican Republic.

Thank You

SEXYCHULA325

Feb 11, 2008
Perhaps the advantage depends on where you are shipping the items to. In Las Terrenas, for example, there is no Supermercado Nacional, and many things that are easy to find in Santiago are hard to find or unavailable there.
I'm speaking in general though, not commenting on any specific items mentioned.

THE ADVANTAGE OF DOING THIS IS CUZ ITS LESS COSTLY! I KNOW CUZ I WENT TO A "CHEAP" SUPERMARKET IN SANTIAGO, DOM. REP. & I STARTED CALCULATING IN PESOS & DOLLARS AND ONE OR TWO THINGS WERE THE SAME PRICE AS BUYING IT IN THE U.S. & MOST OF THE THINGS WERE MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE - SO FROM NOW, WHEN I KNOW I'M GOING OVER THERE, I WILL SEND ALL THE MAJOR THINGS LIKE RICE, OIL, SEASONINGS ETC...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
SEXYCHULA325 :Ya think ya could step on the CAPS LOCK on your puter CUZ?
I doubt you are saving any money shipping rice.