Fixing the Problem ?

docp

Aug 13, 2005
From todays Listin Diario.SANTO DOMINGO.- Dos individuos, que se dijo intentaron asaltar a un grupo de extranjeros que visitaba Los Tres Brazos anoche, fueron linchados por una multitud que repeli? el ataque a los visitantes en la zona.

Anoche no se pudo establecer los nombres de los dos hombres.

Los cad?veres fueron recogidos por ambulancias que solicitaron agentes policiales que acudieron al lugar luego que se produjo el linchamiento.

El suceso ocurri? alrededor de la medianoche, seg?n se pudo establecer.

En el lugar se dijo que la reacci?n de la comunidad en forma tan violenta es consecuencia de que los asaltos y robos son frecuentes en el lugar y la acci?n de la Polic?a resulta insuficiente para contener a los delincuentes que operan por all?.

docp

Aug 13, 2005
Translation: basically it states that two individuals tried to assault a group of foreigners that were visiting Los Tres Brazos. They were lynched by a crowd that repelled the attack on the visitors. It goes on to say that the violent reaction of the community was due to the frequency of asaults and robberies and the ineptitude of the police to contain the delincuents.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
We have had threads and heated debates about this type of justice.
I'm sure there will be many who disagree with me, but I support this type of action, 100%.
It is my contention and firm belief, that if anyone attempts to cause me bodily harm, all rules are off.
Any use of force, whatsoever is justifiable.
I may not be able to overcome my conscience enough, to hang them after the fact, as these people did, but I support them.
Fight fire with fire, violence with violence.
Let the criminals know, that the risks are great, if they choose to commit violent crimes.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
We have had threads and heated debates about this type of justice.
I'm sure there will be many who disagree with me, but I support this type of action, 100%.
It is my contention and firm belief, that if anyone attempts to cause me bodily harm, all rules are off.
Any use of force, whatsoever is justifiable.
I may not be able to overcome my conscience enough, to hang them after the fact, as these people did, but I support them.
Fight fire with fire, violence with violence.
Let the criminals know, that the risks are great, if they choose to commit violent crimes.

I'd say that I support this type of action, 110%

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I will raise that bid to 120%.
Especially since they did it to protect a group of people from outside of their own community. Too many times there have been critics because people looked the other way whilst somebody got assaulted.

... J-D.
130% for me. Heck I would probably put the rope around their neck myself.

docp

Aug 13, 2005
Nostalgia??????? Five or six years ago you could walk around anywehre in the DR (with a very few exceptions) without fear at anytime of the day or night. People would go out of thier way to help you. Now the populace itself is afraid, suspicious, unceartain and feels threatened. What to do? Either increase the vigilanti justice and take matters into your own hands when the government OBVIOUSLY can't do so or put someone in power that can. Looks
like Candelier is the frontrunner. If you look at any "latin" country since WWII including Italy, you will find that thier greatest socioeconomic gains were made during autocratic/dictatorial rule. Comments please.

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
Holy Cats!

Seriously, the HUNG them??? Santos Gatos! (don't know if I used the right words, but you know what I mean:ermm:

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
wow

Just re-read the article (with the help of alta-vista) and I am in awe. Honestly, I cannot say I blame the people. It seems like the community is ready to take their power back. They are tired of being afraid.
The form of "execution" is pretty brutal. It display A LOT of anger on the part of the people. I wonder if the tourists saw the whole thing play out.

At the same time I can't help sympathizing with the mothers of the young men. They were in the wrong, and there is no doubt about that--its just a sad waste of life. I truly hope that others will take this into consideration the next time they are thinking about criminal activity. sad, sad.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
this is not the wild wild west and we should not promote violence

violent act does not justify capital punishment without due process. Young men with no guidance, employment, skills set and lack of respect for authority in any part of the world are likely to commit this types of crime. We as a society cannot take actions that will encourage more violence. You first need to take a look at the root of the problem prior to supporting this type of actions. Look at the hate crime that where committed in the US in the mid century. mobs of men and women lynching minorities. Is not the case here but same result. 2 men that where kill in that incident had their civil right violate regardless of their crime. We need to promote civilization not brutal and inhuman acts from the majority. I ma against capital punishment and 200% again lynch mobs.
Please understand that this an open forum and that many peoples of all walks of life read this and this should not be the voice of DR1. People that love the Dominican Republic, and contribute to its growth should not endorse such act. most you the people in the forum are visitors and should not encourage this type of action for clear reason. Please let help this country fix the problem not create new ones

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
violent act does not justify capital punishment without due process. Young men with no guidance, employment, skills set and lack of respect for authority in any part of the world are likely to commit this types of crime. We as a society cannot take actions that will encourage more violence. You first need to take a look at the root of the problem prior to supporting this type of actions. Look at the hate crime that where committed in the US in the mid century. mobs of men and women lynching minorities. Is not the case here but same result. 2 men that where kill in that incident had their civil right violate regardless of their crime. We need to promote civilization not brutal and inhuman acts from the majority. I ma against capital punishment and 200% again lynch mobs.
Please understand that this an open forum and that many peoples of all walks of life read this and this should not be the voice of DR1. People that love the Dominican Republic, and contribute to its growth should not endorse such act. most you the people in the forum are visitors and should not encourage this type of action for clear reason. Please let help this country fix the problem not create new ones

I wonder what this poster would be writing at this time if the offenders had been successful in robbing and killing their victims. Handwringers and bleeding hearts have already taken over the US. I don't think it should happen in the DR too.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

In theory, I agree with most of what you say.
In practice, being a resident of this country and potentially a victim of these violent criminals, I say screw them.
They chose their own careers.
They knew it would be risky.
Let them pay the price.
I'll repeat that it would be beyond my capacities to do the hanging myself, but I fully support the action of the people involved in the mentioned incident.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
we always complaint about the justice system here, Canada usa, everywhere. where does it actually work to deter crime. economic situation are one of the biggest drives of this sort of crime. I am referring to mugging, car jacking etc. not rapping, molestation ect those are of a different nature. I have been a victim of voilent crime here and in NYC and i still believe that I rather see the justice systme work as intended rather than lynch people . If we don't hold people accountable , the responsible parties (police, local government) them the people wil and has always taken action into their own hands. We must to this type of action is not good for the Dominicans and all our visitors. Please understand

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Members aren't that cruel

... this type of action is not good for the Dominicans and all our visitors. Please understand

Go tell it on the mountain to all the people (especially in the barrios) and everywhere...
Will THEY understand?
We - the members of DR1 - are not very likely to lynch somebody... ;)

(Well, maybe in the Sankie101-forum... :laugh: )

m'frog

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
I wonder what this poster would be writing at this time if the offenders had been successful in robbing and killing their victims. Handwringers and bleeding hearts have already taken over the US. I don't think it should happen in the DR too.

I ma not talking about what if scenarios. Its the reality of what happen. I should happen here we are already violation the civil rights of hatianos, the poor we need a conciseness. This my home land I am not here on temporary visit I was born here and raised as a foreigner in a place where discrimination is a way of life. I get very upset when I see my fellow Dominicans discriminate Haitians. Violence generates more violences.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Go tell it on the mountain to all the people (especially in the barrios) and everywhere...
Will THEY understand?
We - the members of DR1 - are not very likely to lynch somebody... ;)

(Well, maybe in the Sankie101-forum... :laugh: )

m'frog

gracias for bringing humor to this tema.
We are not for mthe mountains most of us have more educations thnat de campesinos your refering to. So we shoudl not be making comments like the ones made here. Aguiata compay no somos dei campo.