electric question?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i recently sent a 3 glass door, refrigerator-cooler, merchandiser, brand name True, to SD. it is not getting as cold as we would like. i had a AC guy check it out and the consensus was that the electric supply was not powerful enough, it is 110. could this be? any suggestions?...........it has plenty of freon..............

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
You might want to check with the manufacturer and obtain the tolerance of the motor/compressor re: power. Also check to see if the unit thermostate has another adjustment other then the obvious "owner" one.

Over the last couple of years noticed the same problem with my frig/freezer and was always adjusting.. Either could not make ice or the vegy's would freeze. So, yes appears that the power can drop (brown out) either volts and/or amps. that make motors work harder and longer trying to do thier job... and not getting thier.

I put cut in/ cut outs at the main panel that would start the gen when the volts dropped to low or to high. Drove my gen nuts.... so..

I have since installed an inverter that does the same (for the 120), cut in/cut out, but now supliments the Edenorte power to maintain a consistant volts/amps/Hz. and have noted that the invertor kicks in quite a bit, while still have street power. My refer/freezer appear to have become stable.

Hope this helps. Regards, Ringo

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
thanks, i just got off the phone, they were trying to run it on an extension cord from the neighbors.....................so all your comments were on target. this is not the first time i have sent perfectly good things to the DR only to see them ruined in short order and then they blame me for sending junk........

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
The answer

I had the same problem in both my houses. I have solved it now with something that wasnt available here years ago for my first house. I think the name is American nissan??. It is 1 step more than a booster, it controls the boost of supply, if you can understand me. If the power supply coming in suddenly increases this will control how much it will continue to boost to the correct level. They had run out of it on Ochoa, so I bought a different brand name. It costs RD20,000. But you need to be sure of what size you need I bought a 20k. Finally my fridge/freezer might work. If I had just a normal small fridge I wouldnt have had the problem. Please, word of warning, these things are very delicate, so be sure you have the RIGHT electrician to fit it with the correct wiring (you have to purchase this sep.)

Good luck let us know how it goes

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I had the same problem in both my houses. I have solved it now with something that wasnt available here years ago for my first house. I think the name is American nissan??. It is 1 step more than a booster, it controls the boost of supply, if you can understand me. If the power supply coming in suddenly increases this will control how much it will continue to boost to the correct level. They had run out of it on Ochoa, so I bought a different brand name. It costs RD20,000. But you need to be sure of what size you need I bought a 20k. Finally my fridge/freezer might work. If I had just a normal small fridge I wouldnt have had the problem. Please, word of warning, these things are very delicate, so be sure you have the RIGHT electrician to fit it with the correct wiring (you have to purchase this sep.)

Good luck let us know how it goes
You must be talking about a voltage regulator that increases the voltage when it's too low and reduces when it's too high.
It's highly unusual to need such a device, unless the main transformer is defective or overloaded, or if one uses a gauge of wire that is too low to handle the amperage.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
You must be talking about a voltage regulator that increases the voltage when it's too low and reduces when it's too high.
It's highly unusual to need such a device, unless the main transformer is defective or overloaded, or if one uses a gauge of wire that is too low to handle the amperage.

It is/was the transformer in both houses. Now Ive bought it the new cables etc from Edenorte are being installed all the way from Sabaneta
towards Mocca, so I may not need it

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
American nissan is more likely a brand name, not a name of a product. As Rocky said, it's a voltage regulator. I use an AVTEK regulator for the computer. They also makes speciallized ones for other items such as refrigerators, etc.

There are also "things" called "Constant Voltage Transformers", no electronics involved, just a big heavy special type of transformer. It does the same thing all these special "Voltage Regulators" being market here in the DR does.

Judging by the weight of my small AVTEK regulator I would guess it is just a fancy "Constant Voltage Transformer" with a power switch and an indicator light and a few other electronic control gadgets inside.

Another trick that works somewhat is to use a 220 volt to 110 volt transformer. Personally, I don't prefer that method, but a friend of mine does that and gets better results he saids for his inverter.

Third option would to be to purchase and have EdeNorte install a personal size transformer from the main transmission line to your house. I would go the extra expense of putting a pole just inside the yard to keep the neighbors from tapping into it. Another friend of mine has that situation, just him on the transformer, excellent voltage all the time (That is, when there is luz).

Don SantiagoDR