stolen credit card from Banco Popular

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
hey guys I am new to this in DR about 6 month i lost my wallet in a resort in Bavaro, my cedula,credit cards and other identification was in it. I have a police report that states that. In my document I had a credit card that was issue by banco popular. My balance prior to that was 16k pesos. i spoke with my account executive at the bank and toll her what happen. cool no problem. later on that month I see that there where 2 charges done, bringing my balance up to 23500 pesos. I spoke with my agent once again and she said that the cc will be cancel. Okay with. no problem up to now. when i made my attempt to pay my 16k to BP i was told that since my cc was cancel i needed to pay the complete balance otherwise it will earning interest. here is where it get tricky. SO i spoke to their legal division (4weeks go by)and they are willing to negotiate interest if I pay the whole amount23500 plus 2000 interest. Well I said not that i will only pay the original 16k.......more time when by same thing every time. Now I want to take this to civil court so I will only have to pay the money i consumed and not the interest added due to the negotiation. todays balance is 42390pesos. in less than 6month. Can this be done in the Dominican Republic.

Ah I also lost my BofA credit card and did not need to pay a penny, just my original balance. a 16k debt is now 40somethin just cuz I wanted to negotiate and defend what i believe is fair.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
hey guys I am new to this in DR about 6 month i lost my wallet in a resort in Bavaro, my cedula,credit cards and other identification was in it. I have a police report that states that. In my document I had a credit card that was issue by banco popular. My balance prior to that was 16k pesos. i spoke with my account executive at the bank and toll her what happen. cool no problem. later on that month I see that there where 2 charges done, bringing my balance up to 23500 pesos. I spoke with my agent once again and she said that the cc will be cancel. Okay with. no problem up to now. when i made my attempt to pay my 16k to BP i was told that since my cc was cancel i needed to pay the complete balance otherwise it will earning interest. here is where it get tricky. SO i spoke to their legal division (4weeks go by)and they are willing to negotiate interest if I pay the whole amount23500 plus 2000 interest. Well I said not that i will only pay the original 16k.......more time when by same thing every time. Now I want to take this to civil court so I will only have to pay the money i consumed and not the interest added due to the negotiation. todays balance is 42390pesos. in less than 6month. Can this be done in the Dominican Republic.

Ah I also lost my BofA credit card and did not need to pay a penny, just my original balance. a 16k debt is now 40somethin just cuz I wanted to negotiate and defend what i believe is fair.

Not quite the same scenario ?Card was not stolen? but was used fraudulently by an employee of a popular hotel in Santo Domingo to run up several charges. When I received my statement I went to my branch in Sosua and pointed the charges out to the account manager. As she requested, I wrote a letter to them indicating the bogus charges and they immediately removed them from my account and issued a new CC. The following statement has further charges, from the old card, another letter and they were gone. No interest or charges. I have been dealing with BP for over 15 years and have never been disappointed. To me they are one of the best banks in the DR.
You?re probably talking to the wrong person. Try someone higher up in the system. Oh yea, Good Luck. Hope they sort it out for you.

edwinc11

Jul 1, 2007
Banco Popular Nightmare Bank

I am having a very bad experience with Banco Popular at 27 febrero in Dominican republic. They stole money from me and it took month of hard work for them to return some of the money, a day later they money stolen again. They are a joke Bank , the worst bank you will ever deal with. I have major problems with them , took bad I am not in the dominican republic to resolve.