The "trick" of how the crooks at Aduanas steal from this country

C

Chip00

Has anybody ever wondered how crooks at Aduanas are able to rob the government?

Well I had a friend of a good friend explain the "trick" to me. He worked for 18 years at Banreservas before being let go last December.

Basically what happens is that when someone brings goods into the DR from abroad an assessment is made of the taxes owed and presented to the importer. The first part of the "trick" is that the corrupt Aduanas official will do a "hard copy" receipt of the items and not record the taxes due inthe computer system. When the importer returns with the certified check for the amount due the Aduanas official will give the importer a receipt and then keep the certified check. The next step is to create an official looking letter complete with stamps that authorizes an Aduanas official to have the funds returned in cash instead of being directly to the Aduanas account.

Yes, as crazy as it seems this is permissible! IMHO this is planned and calculated fraud allowing any supposed government funds to be remitted as cash.

In the case of my friend's friend he was the unsuspecting bank teller who authorized the transaction and he said everything was done according to protocal. In fact it wasn't until two years later that Banreservas found out and the fired him for being a supoposed accomplice.

What I believe is this is a gain another example of the system being set up here for abuse. The idiots at Aduanas must know that this will happen if any type of remittances are allowed to be converted to cash - hey idiots, you ain't fooling me!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The other method.....

The agent that calculates the amount of taxes due, tells you to give him some money and he will put down a lower amount of tax due on the paper work.

That's what happened when I brought in a diesel generator through SD.
I told the him no, did not want him to get one stolen peso from me.

But then, what's the difference, the politicians will rob the money from the people anyway.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Yet another

You're stopped at customs. The merchandise is tagged and put in a room. You are given an amount to pay. So you don't want to pay the duty and I say "so what will happen to the merchandise". Response"we'll destroy it"

My response" Yeah right, and Santa is coming down the chimmy of my hotel tonite".

john

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
The best way to bring stuff in is through a Dominican shipping co. They tell you how much, You pay them and just wait for your stuff to be delivered,about 1 mo.