First Peace Index - DR is 74

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Nice! The first peace index for the world has been constructed and the DR rated out at number 74 out of 121 countries. Here are the rankings and the methodology is explained on the site.

Global Peace Index Rankings

The introduction to the study states: "The Global Peace Index is a ground-breaking milestone in the study of peace. It is the first time that an Index has been created that ranks the nations of the world by their peacefulness and identified some of the drivers of that peace. 121 countries have been ranked by their ?absence of violence?, using metrics that combine both internal and external factors. Most people understand the absence of violence as an indicator of peace. This definition also allows for the measuring of peacefulness within, as well as between, nations.
Peace is a powerful concept. However, the notion of peace, and its value in the world economy, is poorly understood. Historically, peace has been seen as something won in war, or else as an altruistic ideal. There are competing definitions of peace, and most research into peace is, in fact, the study of violent conflict."

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Couldn't help but notice that Norway is n?mero uno in the Peace Index. I doesn't surprise me. I've never visited a more boring place on Earth. I wonder what it is that runs through Norwegian veins, but it is definitely not human blood.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Chris thanks a bunch. Very interesting link, and yes the concept is unique and timely. This is thinking out of the box and progressive. I noticed that Haiti is nowhere to be found. Will be digesting info in the next few days.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Noticed that Belgium is ranked 11 and that in the regional ranking it isn't to be found and germany has taken its place;);)

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
No, it is the Vikings blood.

true...and interesting considering they were one of the least peaceful peoples in history!

Also interesting that Ireland is #4... guess they should change the name of that drink "Irish Car Bomb" to "Irish pacifist" or something...someone better notify the IRA...

and finally...also very interesting....the USA ranks 22 places below the DR!

G

gary short

At least the US beats out Iran................by one point........

G

gary short

What is the criteria for being tried for war crimes by the Hague???????

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Also interesting that Ireland is #4... guess they should change the name of that drink "Irish Car Bomb" to "Irish pacifist" or something...someone better notify the IRA...

Now days Ireland's economy is booming and because of it the country has been called the Celtic Tiger. The Irish are concentrating on their well being and have much to show for it in the last 15 years or so. Relative peace has changed the reality of the country dramatically from the days of of bombings.

From Wikipedia.

This situation changed dramatically in the early 1990s as the result of a second, more prodigious, economic boom, known as "The Celtic Tiger" (as in "tiger economy"). In July 2006, a survey undertaken by Bank of Ireland Private Banking showed that, of the top 8 leading OECD nations, Ireland was ranked the second wealthiest per capita country in the world, showing an average wealth per head of nearly ?150,000 (~ $190,000)[50]. This is behind Japan, and ahead of other countries such as the UK, U.S., Italy, France, Germany and Spain.
This is what peace can bring.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
true...and interesting considering they were one of the least peaceful peoples in history!

and finally...also very interesting....the USA ranks 22 places below the DR!

The IRA is not from Eire (Ireland and Northern Ireland are two different countries)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This is what peace can bring.
What Ladybird said. The Irish miracle has little to do with the Northern Irish situation and everything to do with being a member of the EU, together with other formerly poor and backward countries like Spain, Greece and Portugal which have benefited enormously from EU investment, and delivered a huge amount in return as a result of their own development.

There's a lesson in there somewhere.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
What Ladybird said. The Irish miracle has little to do with the Northern Irish situation and everything to do with being a member of the EU, together with other formerly poor and backward countries like Spain, Greece and Portugal which have benefited enormously from EU investment, and delivered a huge amount in return as a result of their own development.

There's a lesson in there somewhere.

You are correct my fault, Northern Ireland where most of the trouble was and the Republic of Ireland are separate countries. In my opinion the fact that Ireland received a high rating in the peace index is a testament to their fortitude in not degenerating into violence considering the troubles in Northern Ireland, although there was support for a united Ireland.
There is the possibility that because of the Belfast Agreement, the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland could be united.

Sorry for straying. Back to DR's 74 place.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
In the indicator information for the DR one category that stood out for me.

Number of homicides per 100,000 people-------The rating was 5.
Not good.:cry:

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
I was surprised to see the GDP per capita in Cuba was higher than in DR and that DR has more police than the UK (per 100,000 people) with the same number of the population in jail, yet five times as many homicides and 2.5 times as many as the US, which, as already mentioned, is a worrying statistic.