Boats or Ferries from Puerto Plata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYkid

Jun 16, 2007
Does anyone have information about any boats, ships or ferries traveling between Puerto Plata and other Caribbean destinations?

Two years ago I purchased a condo in Sosua, and now finally I will be able to spend more time there -- including traveling to other islands in the region I hope.

I would enjoy hearing about anyone's experiences traveling between the DR (especially the North Coast) and other islands, by sea or by air. I googled around for a few hours, and it seems that big cruise lines occasionally stop in Puerto Plata, but I couldn't find information about inter-island travel. For example, it seems nearly impossible to travel directly between the DR and Jamaica, yet they're so close. Is there just very little demand for this?

THANKS

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Cruising from the north of the DR to Jamaica is somewhat of a detour anyway, since any economical route -distance wise- would depart from santo Domingo, Barahona (in the DR), Port-au-Prince or Les Cayes (in Haiti). To my knowledge neither countries have passanger sea-routes linking with Jamaica; only DR with Puerto Rico. Your best bet would be to fly to the surrounding Carribean. Twice weekly flights directly from Port au Prince to Kingston; once a week to Santiago de Cuba, at very competitive prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.