DSL Problems - Anyone?

Feb 7, 2007
This is a long story for 3 day's worth of events:

I have been having problems with Codetel's Flash 768 service since Tuesday afternoon. Speed was becoming slow, and on Wednesday morning it went to a crawl. I reported the problem, made several visits to Codetel office, was hunting down the technician to do tests, spoke to supervisor, etc but to no avail.

I checked the modem setup page, the SNR Signal to Noise ratio was in the "outstanding" band (31), as well as Attenuation of the line - this one was "only" "excellent" (29.5).

The supervisor at local codetel's office told me they were having problems, but at that time they had not been able to resolve it, they don't know when they will resolve it, and that they don't know at that moment HOW to resolve it. He also declined to inform me WHAT was the problem, that THAT information was not available. I have a telecom background, so I would have had understood what was the problem had he informed me what it was, and things I don't know I can easily look up and understand from the Internet.

So, on Thursday I spoke to secretary of Codetel's director of data services in Santo Domingo, she promised she would make some calls, and things got moving. Thursday afternoon the tech came in and the DSL started working like a clock again, but with a problem - the speed did not pass 300 kbps. I checked the modem setup page, and the DSL line was sending 384 kbps instead of 768 kbps. He said it would be resolved the next day, because at that hour nobody was in SD office any more (6.30 pm).

On Friday morning, I get a call again, now from another tech, who asks what my speed is. I tell them it does not pass 300 kbps. They come over, and check from my computer. Speedtests and file downloading. The speed does not pass 330 kbps. We check modem setup again; the DSL line is now sending 768 kbps. Now comes the dumbassness of some of techs - he said - ah, you see, you have 768. I tell them, no it is not 768 I have, it is 768 the DSLAM is accepting on the line between my modem and DSLAM, and it is what is programmed as maximum. It is not even that I would get that speed, if line is noisy or there is other problem on DSLAM, I would not have that speed (btw when the connection was a crawls, of course, the modem WAS programmed at 768 and DSLAM was accepting 768 - but I was not getting past 10 or 15 kbps)

So this stupid tech tells me it is the website that does speed tests that is slow. I tell him no, you don't understand, the line is programmed at 768, SERVICE CONDITIONS PERMITTING, that I can get, but heck, I am not getting 768, I am getting 330. (I usually was getting 650-700 before).

So he keeps with his song. I got really upset. I opened up about 10 different speed pages, and about 10 different download pages, to show him the speed. The speed test and download speed, none surpassed 350 kbps.

But the guy did not want to understand and kept his BS. I was getting sooo upset, that I made much mental force to recall my statistics courses, and I started filling him statistics terms like population, sample, variance, median, mean, probability, and he was just staring at me. I finished off saying that... with all that I have just informed you, the probability that the all the sites are slow is close to 0, and probability that there was a problem on Codetel's side is close to 1, which, I added, means that we can be quite confident that the problem is there, and not with the speedtest/download sites. I adored his facial expressions I saw during my Statistics 101 to Codetel's technician.

The good result was, he got on the phone and started calling. He said my speed would be adjusted during the afternoon. After 10 more minutes he left. This was Friday mid-day. By 5 pm nothing changed, so I called the supervisor again. Was not in the office (I have a direct extension - he did NOT give it to me). So I called Codetel's support line, reporting that my DSL was working now, but at half my 768 speed. They said that the original ticket was not closed yet and the tech was still working on it.

BUT, they also told me, that since several days ago, they were experiencing speed problems on the national level.

Then the DNS went down. Both primary and secondary DNS servers assigned by DHCP went down. Fortunately, I have a file with "foreign" nameservers, from Sprintlink, AT&T, Verizon (USA) and Bellsouth. I fed the Sprintlink nameserver to TCP/IP config and was back online.

This morning, Saturday, I connected at 7 am. Whoopas... I am getting close to 700 kbps, as BEFORE and for quite some time!!! I got quite an adrenaline rush...wow, working back fine. Unfortunately, by noon, the speed was back to 200-300 kbps range. I am thinking, like this is not normal, so I run tens of speed tests in an hour. The speed test results vary from 200 to 700 kbps.

Apparently, the speed is erratic, and depends on the available bandwidth or other technical things, but on Codetel's side.

I think it can be the following:

- DSLAM problems at CO in Higuey
- Router problems at CO in Higuey
- Nationwide speed issue mentioned by 2201111 support on Friday

I know it si not a line problem - otherwise in the early morning hours I would not be getting constant 700-close speed.

Anybody else experiencing degraded DSL speeds?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I also have Codetel "768"... Works great here...

Try the OpenDNS : 208.67.222.222

Usually your "768" deal gives you around 650kb/s...

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
No!
But we are experiencing sharply decreasing quality of service from Codetel or Claro.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
... we are experiencing sharply decreasing quality of service from Codetel or Claro.

For what it's worth, I am experimenting sharp decrease in the quality of service from Orange (for our cell-phones)...

Feb 7, 2007
I now get up to 700 on nights, early mronings, but during day it does not get over 300 kbps.

This tells me it is a router/gateway/bandwidth issue, and most probably local to Higuey.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No, service in Santiago is slloooooowwwwinnnnggggg down too!

Rats, it used to be so quick..

HB

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
My problem is a little different! I have been trying for 7 weeks to get my DSL installed. It is not a new account just being moved to my new apartment. I was so thrilled when my phone line was moved in 3 days!!! WOW.

My excitement has turned to complete and utter disillusionment! 7 weeks and still no DSL.

I have had 2 techs tell me that it is the outside main cable needing replacement. I have been to supervisors. I am now Nelson's best friend in our local office. We speak daily trying to get this resolved.

I"d be thrilled with any speed at this point.

But to the OP - when I did have DSL it was quite normal to get speed fluctuations and they like to blame it on anything and everything..... I truly understand your frustration with the techs who really do not seem to understand how things actually work.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey Rubio

I decided to try to observe the speeds at differing times of the day, and I concur with you.
The speed does drop during the day.
I was up to speed early this morning and am down 30% right now.
It was the same yesterday.
I guess they are overloaded.
Have found no solution, but if I do, will let you know, and likewise, if you resolve it, please let us know.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
DSL Problems

Here in Puerta Plata the service has just returned to near perfect as this speed test confirms:-

Download: 1312kbps
Upload: 335kbps

This level has only returned in the last 15 minutes prior to that it was almost dead.

John

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Here in Puerta Plata the service has just returned to near perfect as this speed test confirms:-

Download: 1312kbps
Upload: 335kbps

This level has only returned in the last 15 minutes prior to that it was almost dead.

John
Would you mind checking again.
I tested right after reading your post and our speed was up too, but it's just gone back to being down 30%.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
DSL Problems

Just ran a further test and the service has died:-

Download: 125kbps
Upload: 37kbps

God alone knows what's causing the disruptions to the broadband service.

John

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Just ran a further test and the service has died:-

Download: 125kbps
Upload: 37kbps

God alone knows what's causing the disruptions to the broadband service.

John
Same here, up & down like a yoyo.
We had similar problems in the past which were easily resolved with the insertion of some specific DNS numbers, but it ain't working this time.
The default DNS numbers at that time were 176 or 196 series, and they were severely overloaded.
We switched to some new numbers given to us by a Codetel techie, and all was resolved.
The problem we have now looks exactly the same, but I have tried all sorts of DNS numbers to no avail.
It must be the main system, and as someone suggested, when Verizon sold the company, the new owners would not put a red cent into it and just drive it into the ground.
I wonder if we're seeing the beginning of the end.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It's the same in the South too. Up and down, and keeps going off. has been like this for the past couple of weeks.

Matilda

Feb 7, 2007
4.30 pm, running at 680 kbps, so it's good. For now.

Speed tests I use:

Speakeasy - Speed Test

Prueba de Velocidad

MySpeed Bandwidth Test, Internet Speed Test, Broadband Speed Test

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Also, a lot depends on the server one use, what is its usage at the moment, the route to the server, etc.
If I get a speedtest with 200 kbps and speed test with 400 kbps result, and the repeasted result results in 400 kbps again, I trust the highes peed.

Also a good way to check real speed is to initiate a download from Tucows Downloads - Download Freeware and Shareware Software or Microsoft, and multiply the displayed KB/s by 8, to get the actual kbps speed. Multiple the "settled" download speed, because the download usually always begin with extremely high KB downloads (e.g. 150) and then goes down to 80, for example, and stays there. That would be the "settled" download speed, 80 x 8 in this case 640 kbps.