Orphanage in Mao

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Not as far as I know. There used to be one just next door in Esperanza, run by Orphanage Outreach, but they've moved in total to Monte Cristi ..

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
'To my way of thinking that operation smacks of profit....You pay a fortune to sleep on cots, and they send you a mile long list of stuff you are expected to bring.

There was some scandal attached to it, if memory serves.

In Santiago there is a small orphanage that has about 28 kids and another 9 on a waiting list, because they do not even have birth certificates. One kid's parents are both psychologically disturbed and not capable of doing such menial errands. Another kid's little sibling has AIDS and is in a treatment center, both parents died of AIDS and he has neither grandparents nor uncles on either side of the family. Cases like this go on and on...

HB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The scandal was attached to the local Dominican management and it was quite a wrenching business for the kids involved. The local Dominican management had to give up control of the kids (and of course the money) .. Conani enforced this ..

Yes, profit .. and a lot of it. But, they do deliver the goods, they run a tight ship and they present 'a perfect and safe volunteering experience'. (dripping sarcasm.... ;))

Actually Hillbilly, I have met all the people that were involved here and the move was for the best. You may remember the Father (coptic priest) that I had at your house one day .. He was responsible for this move.

holacanada

Sep 8, 2004
Say Hello to Father Dale !

Last winter I met a couple from Puerto Plata. Martha and Father Dale Johnson. IMHO, They are very devoted to the cause of children of the streets. Let's help them help the kids. Sometimes a small thing (like give some of your vacation time or by bringing school supplies, etc) made a long way.
Last winter my girlfriend who is a director of a primary school here in Canada sent 4 boxes full of supplies for the school in Cangrejo. The problem was they don't have enough money to take the boxes with them.... so the compagny ship back all the packages !!!!!!!!
In my next visit I'll bring to DR by plane with me !!!

For me Dominican Outreach organisation is A1 and don't hesitate to help these kids !!!!

Holacanada from Quebec city.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Its always best to donate supplies to the schools of orphanages than just give money. There's so many kids who don't have money for uniforms, textbooks, school supplies. Can't trust most of those places with the money.