question for the cooks

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Sorting, packing, storing, selling in anticipation for July move to North Coast. Among items that I am storing are my favorite cooking tools. Cast iron skillet, half racks, wire racks, nice heavy pots and pans I have collected and used lovingly. Also fabulous german knives. And a big seasoned butcher block.

My number one kitchen item is the cast iron skillet. It is antique, well seasoned and very valuable. I love it. I have a small french cast iron enamel casserole that is number two on the list, perfect for cooking for one. Also antique. Good stuff, lasts forever.

So, when I arrive and make a supply run, where can I replace these beloved items? Or should I put them in a box marked, bring on next trip? And try and piecemeal out my kitchen supplies.

I love cooking and I can cook Dominican food Dominican style, so remarks on where to supply a Dominican kitchen will be great. STI or SDQ ok destinations, I just want to know where to look when I am there.

M "it's finally happening" G

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Good Old Utensils

.... Or should I put them in a box marked, bring on next trip?
IMO you should.
Although I was once able to buy a "Lodge" cast iron frying pan here (at 'Cuesta') I recommend to bring all your beloved items (not only kitchen items).

I've never understood people who arrive here with a soap box and then buy flimsy tools at high prices.

m'frog

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I vote for bringing them at some point. I have woks, cast iron skillets, and good knives that i brought from abroad. You can get good knives at a Chinese place in Santo Domingo..and woks, spatulas and ladles, too....

I have not seen cast iron ware here for some time, and the last time I did see something (a cast iron two burner pancake/meat broiler thingy) it was RD$890 when the dollar was at 16:1 .....

Dominicans, generally speaking--probably most of them--do not value good kitchen tools. In middle class houses, the patrons do not cook nor clean so "all that" is foreign to the house owner...(That also explains why maid's quarters are so ugly and bare).

In general, a pan-aluminum mostly, some "Teflon"?, and flimsy spoons, spatulas....and an aluminum paila for cooking rice. That's it.

I would bring really good, heavy cooking spoons and ladles, a good carving knife, paring knife, peeler, cooking fork, heavy tongs, not those flimsy tinny ones...

Of course, if you lived in Santiago, you could cook for me and then not have to bring anything!!! And you could live out back for your keep. And, and, and...

Oh quit it already!!!

You know what I mean...

HB

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Gotta agree with HB.......
I bring down something for the kitchen every trip (after 18 yrs I'm still bringing kitchen stuff!).
First thing I brought down was one of my old cast iron skillets and it still gets used at least every secong day when we're there.
I'm now working on bringing down a complete set of Caphalon (not the non-stick) One cookware that I've fallen in love with.
I've got woks, knives, steamers, stock pots, cast iron griddles etc.etc. all brought from elsewhere. Love the Dominican aluminum for deep frying and cooking rice but that's about all I use from the DR.
Looked for years for a suitable set of pots but never found any (I hate stainless steel!!!!).

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
recently movie for mPhoneix to Santiago ,ad a lager part of my personal items where kitchen ware. Plase bring thme other s have advise, It will also make the move a easier transtion. It will help you remeber the good oldays nad you cna recrate some of your good recipies in Domincan Soil with the right equipment.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
MG - I bought almost everything in La Sirena and Cuesta. It is definitely a hit-n-miss affair, especially with La Sirena, and Cuesta Hogar didn't exist then, but most of my wares have lasted almost eight years now!

The organisation I worked for at the time provided an allowance of about RD$2000 for us to buy all the household equipment - not just kitchen stuff but sheets, towels etc... even in those days (RD$16=US$1) it didn't go far enough, and I'd brought my sheets, towels, plates and cutlery from the UK.

There are some really good places in Santo Domingo now where you can buy all the best cooking stuff, but I'm sure the prices are much higher than in the US.

Why not bring a capsule selection when you come over, and then make it a condition of each family member's visit that they bring a certain amount of items? :)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
My cast iron skillet caught rust and now rendered useless.
AZB

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
you canfix your cast iron if is rusted. Do you want to pend the time and love that is going to need.
Needs to be buff to remove the rust.If ussing chenicalmust be careful since you will be usisnt to eat.
season it with hot oil and salt
must rubb the corse salt so it seals the pores
once seal becarefull when cleaning that your pores are not expose. other wise you will need to reseal.
Back i nthe eighties there justo be men didicated to restoring pots and pans here. They use carbon and a metalwire brush to remove the black smoke and oil stain form the pots, you kind of need to do the same.
Please let us now how it turned out.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
you canfix your cast iron if is rusted. Do you want to pend the time and love that is going to need.
Needs to be buff to remove the rust.If ussing chenicalmust be careful since you will be usisnt to eat.
season it with hot oil and salt
must rubb the corse salt so it seals the pores
once seal becarefull when cleaning that your pores are not expose. other wise you will need to reseal.
Back i nthe eighties there justo be men didicated to restoring pots and pans here. They use carbon and a metalwire brush to remove the black smoke and oil stain form the pots, you kind of need to do the same.
Please let us now how it turned out.

How about if I just give it to you and you keep it?
AZB

Av8r1977

Jun 15, 2007
Sorting, packing, storing, selling in anticipation for July move to North Coast. Among items that I am storing are my favorite cooking tools. Cast iron skillet, half racks, wire racks, nice heavy pots and pans I have collected and used lovingly. Also fabulous german knives. And a big seasoned butcher block.

My number one kitchen item is the cast iron skillet. It is antique, well seasoned and very valuable. I love it. I have a small french cast iron enamel casserole that is number two on the list, perfect for cooking for one. Also antique. Good stuff, lasts forever.

So, when I arrive and make a supply run, where can I replace these beloved items? Or should I put them in a box marked, bring on next trip? And try and piecemeal out my kitchen supplies.

I love cooking and I can cook Dominican food Dominican style, so remarks on where to supply a Dominican kitchen will be great. STI or SDQ ok destinations, I just want to know where to look when I am there.

M "it's finally happening" G

Well.. Im not a cook by profession but I do cook and love the kitchen. regarding your question. It all depends on how much you want to spend. You can buy cheap stuff for not a wholelot of money down here, however I happen to think that you get what you pay for. I kike to buy in a place called "Para Gourmet" literal "For Gourmet" and there you can find anything from a spoon to a set of pots. You wil however have to come to the Capital for that, or you might be able to find something like it in Santiago which is not too far from the North coast.

Hope this helps.

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
Those living in north-coast can find nice things from "Equipamos" in PP, spesialized wares for restaurant but they have all sizes, newist plaza in ther east side.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Anitaemma, thanks for the tip for the rest. supply store. That is where I have purchased some things in the past (here in the US) and would like to see what one is like in DR.

As for Para Gourmet, I'd also like to see what they have, but understandably things are expensive. I have been pretty lucky to live near a large antiques store just down the block and that is where I have found some of the best things.

And as for the Griswold cast iron skillet, that thing is priceless....heavy but priceless...