Inverter Battery Sequence Question.....

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I have searched most of the threads dealing with batteries and inverters and can't seem to find out WHAT is the proper way for multiple sets of batteries to be hooked up to an inverter...........
Is there a correct and a wrong way????

I have two inverters in different places with eight batteries each and each is hooked up differently.......:surprised:surprised

Anyone know of any website (I've searched for that also, but may be using wrong keywords) that may have a sketch of how they are wired??

Also, I want to make sure that I am assuming correctly that if you have a 24volt system that know matter how many sets of 4 - 6volt batteries you have the total should always read about 24 to 27 volts when charged.........

Thanks for any info..........cause when I ask the "local" electricians I keep getting different answers..........:ermm::ermm:

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks Rocky.........

...............got the diagram I have been looking for.............;)

page 100 and 101............from the manual.......

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have two inverters in different places with eight batteries each and each is hooked up differently.......:surprised:surprised:

If both sets of inverter batteries are giving you 24vdc +/-, then they are hooked up okay, it may be the physical arrangment.

Some may hook up sets of two at 12 vdc to sets of two at 12vdc, others may hook up sets of 4 direct, others could hook up sets of two at 6vdc to a total of four of those sets for a total of 24vdc +/-. either way the result is the same.

Some setups are easier to physically get to the battery caps, depending on where they are mounted.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
...............got the diagram I have been looking for.............;)

page 100 and 101............from the manual.......
Anytime, Buddy.
In the meantime, if you have any questions about the practical application of the system, here in this land of SNAFU, just give me a buzz.
I've picked up a few tricks along the way.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
They are hooked up differently because most probably one is a 12v dc input and the other is 24 volt dc input inverter. Its a parallel / series combination. Very important to connect the batteries correctly because if not, you will have a burn out and fire.
AZB

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
The difference was..........

................that one set of eight had the positive and negative going to the invertor from the "series string 2" and the other set of eight had one the positive from "series string 1" and the negative from "series string 2" which is correct (well the better way, at least)

...........but they were saying it didn't make a difference..........and what I was looking for was that "IMPORTANT" note on the bottom which says that the second way is for "better balancing/discharging and longer run time and improved battery life.........."

........even though the other way will work...........