crime in Cabarete

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
Is it me or have there been an abnormal amount of break ins lately? It seems like every weekend I am hearing from another person in Cabarete that has been held up at gun point.

Now I am being told that there were 7 this past weekend in Encuentro.

Are the police not able or not willing to do something about this?

I don't want this to be a bashing. I love Cabarete, and I think that this is most likely just a bad crime wave due to the low tourism numbers. I am just looking for insight from others who have lived here for a while.

B

batich

Not so sure!

a bad crime wave due to the low tourism numbers.

With all my love to all types of tourists I`d say that these two phenoms are not interrelated.

Ten years ago with much less tourists than now, and with practically no NA tourists, life, ecology, drug, price and crime situation in DR were much better than it is today. I could walk anyplace in Boca Chica or in the capital at night totally drunk without fear of anything and could live on $500 a month easily.
Now I know I will be robbed at gun point 100 meters from Sosua Carwash and I need at least $1000-$1500 a month for a decent life.

I think opposite - TOO MUCH tourism and overdevelopment attract criminals and invite environmental degradation.

I am obediently ready for experts to destroy my position with arguments that tourism is a happinness and godsend for ALL of us.

Island777

Oct 9, 2005
Where?

Where did the hold ups you heard of take place? I've not heard of any hold ups in town, but rather in the more outlying areas there has been a rash of robberies and burglaries. This has been going on for a few months.