Los Hermanos Rosario & Nicky Jam playing in London UK

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
Yeah its looking like a winner!

You better be coming with us girlie!!! Don't forget the video camera LOL

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
I'll be there together with the video camera - my only worry is holding onto it after a few drinks ;-)

I trust you will be watching over me lol

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
I trust you will be watching over me lol

Umm I'll be watching but not sure if I'll be seeing :cheeky:

Sounds like quite a few guys and chicas are going ... Jonathan calculates around 40 Dominicans plus their partners. That's who we know of ...:cheeky:

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I always wondered that too about the accents. The only time I went to England when I was like 11 the biggest thing that surprised me was how blacks there did not talk like the black guys in NJ/NYC - it just didn't add up to me.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Of course, I'm just kidding about the accent. I actually like it and wish I could imitate it. I've never heard a Brit sound uneducated.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
LOL! That's too funny. You need to meet some of the chavs over here. Your opinion will soon change!

As for carnaval del pueblo, we'll definitely be there!

I'll second that!! If you met a chav on your travels you will most certainly change your opinion on sounding educated!!

Good to hear more people going to the carnival....how many of you are going?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
when i lived in england (for 2 years) i found myself with an little bit of an accent. i also found myself with a different slang vocab that totally confused everyone when i returned to the US....

Last edited:

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
The Dominicans I know certainly use the English slang which is really diverse, each county/town has its own. Not sure if the accent is an English one, you can still sense the hispanic edge :cheeky:

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
As for carnaval del pueblo, we'll definitely be there!

Good Stuff Charlene, can't wait to meet you both! Seems like there's going to be a huge crowd ... I'm pretty sure all of the people will turn up seeing as 'Los Hermanos Rosario' are going to be there! Jonathan certainly won't be holding me up like usual and making me late ... he wants to get there extra early to get near the front :D

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
I'll second that!! If you met a chav on your travels you will most certainly change your opinion on sounding educated!!

Good to hear more people going to the carnival....how many of you are going?

I didn't know what a chav was, but now I know.

But accents trick me: British sounds educated; Chinese, and I think calculus; certain accents (I ain't mentioning no country), and strong body odors cloud my senses; Cuban accent: preoccupation with Fidel at least part of the day; and then there's listening to myself, and I cringe at the sound of my own voice, with its inescapable traces of chopism.

carls

Feb 28, 2006
can london be fun for a domincan? what can a dominican do in london?
I would like to know about england, because have the impression that england is a very classist.Are people over there friendly or are they elitist.

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
can london be fun for a domincan? what can a dominican do in london?
I would like to know about england, because have the impression that england is a very classist. Are people over there friendly or are they elitist.

England is definately NOT the same as the Dominican Republic, but we know quite a few Dominicans that are living a good life here. I'm not sure I can generalise us Brits but yes there are some friendly ones and ones who are elitist to put it politely! But I'm sure its the same in most countries.

Starting life in the UK for a Dominican is not easy, I mean Dominican qualifications do not count for much here. I guess it depends on how strong willed you are and whether you are 'elitist' or prepared to work your way up the career ladder ;)