DR Visa question

DanaP

May 23, 2007
I have been slogging through all the info on getting certain types of Visa's for my stay in the DR. My son and I both have US passports and are planning to spend atleast a year in the DR beginning this fall. My son is 5 and will be attending school and as far as I can tell all the schools I am considering will require him to have a student Visa.

I looks pretty straight foward to obtain the student visa, or as straight forward as a bunch of confusing paperwork can be, but my question is about myself. It appears that getting a tourist visa is appropriate for me as I do not have employment lined up, but will i need to do it ahead of time or should i merely work on the Visa for my son and pay for my extended stay upon my departure? I guess I'm slightly concerned that a difference in our Visa status could be a problem. and will a tourist visa allow me to leave and return to the country during our year? the paperwork seems to suggest that I would be allowed only one entry. And do schools generally assist you with the student visa process or will i be on my own?

I would love some assistance (anything!) from folks who have been through this as it seems like a bit of a daunting task at this point.

Thanks much!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
All you need is your (and your son's) tourist cards. I've never heard of such a thing as a five-year old needing a student visa. The school will ask to see his birth certificate and vaccinations record, and might ask for a medical and dental report, but the child's visa/residency/nationality status is immaterial - at least in a private school. If you are planning to send him to a state school, I don't know what the rule is, but I know that undocumented children can attend till about third or fourth grade anyway.

You pay US$10 each for the tourist card upon entering the country, and a small "fine" when you leave depending on the length of your overstay. It's not really that much in the scheme of things, especially if you leave within the year.

DanaP

May 23, 2007
Fastastico!!! that is just what i wanted to hear. I really didn't want to have to add another whole ordeal to my 'move out of the country to-do' list.

Thanks!

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
All you need is your (and your son's) tourist cards. I've never heard of such a thing as a five-year old needing a student visa. The school will ask to see his birth certificate and vaccinations record, and might ask for a medical and dental report, but the child's visa/residency/nationality status is immaterial - at least in a private school. If you are planning to send him to a state school, I don't know what the rule is, but I know that undocumented children can attend till about third or fourth grade anyway.

You pay US$10 each for the tourist card upon entering the country, and a small "fine" when you leave depending on the length of your overstay. It's not really that much in the scheme of things, especially if you leave within the year.

Here are the penalty amounts for overstaying:

15 Days - 3 Months: $300 Pesos
3 Months - 9 Months: $500 Pesos
9 Months - 1 Year: $2000 Pesos
1 Year - 1.5 Years: $3500 Pesos
1.5 Years - 2 Years: $4500 Pesos
2 Years - 2.5 Years: $6000 Pesos
2.5 Years - 3 Years: $8000 Pesos
3-5 Years: $12000 Pesos
5 Years+: $15000 Pesos