non-accompanied minor authorization

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
Does anyone know how much it costs to get this document in the D.R.? The Dominican embassy in Ottawa charged us $100US last year and who knows how much it will be this year.

On another note Amercian Airlines charged us $60US return for their unaccompanied minor service last year and this year the fee is $150US return. Wish we had done more research before buying the ticket. All of a sudden buying a return charter (throwing out the return portion), then a one way ticket to come back in September, driving to Montreal here and even them driving to Punta Cana seems almost worth while.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I am paying about RD$4,000 each for my sons to travel as unaccompanied minor to Montreal this year. The charge includes getting their birth certificates in originals, having these legalized, a notarized letter from the parents authorizing the airline to transport them, and have this certified in the attorney general office, plus the Migration Department charge. Everything costs the double if you want it VIP and not in two days. So compared to what we here in Santo Domingo have to pay for our children to fly unaccompanied, you are not getting such a bad deal if the embassy charges you around US$100.

Air Canada is charging us US$100 each for the unacompanied minor service for delivery in Montreal and delivery in Punta Cana.

We will be taking a vacation in Punta Cana to deliver the boys -- they say they need the vacation to remember where they come from before heading to camp in Canada -- and then to pick them up upon their return. It is a four hour drive each way.

When all is added up, it makes sense for the parents to take a vacation and fly with the children.

In my case, chose a direct Punta Cana-Montreal flight when a Santo Domingo-NY-Montreal flight cost much less. My boys are 14-16 years, and could have handled it. But given all the complications of travel today, preferred the simplicity of a direct flight. The AA flight was US$500 (sans taxes and duty), and the Air Canada flight was US$850 (sans taxes and duty), so there was enough difference in the flight to pay for one of us to travel with the boys as an alternative to consider for next time.

In this complicated world, children traveling alone is an even more complicated and costly matter.

On the other hand, I believe all you need is a letter from a notary public certifying your authorization that the child can travel unaccompanied. My sister has sent her daughters from the US on different occasions -- they are Americans -- and they have just needed the letter, no involvement from Dominican consular or embassy officers. Once my brother in law did not know about this and was able to secure the letter at the Dallas airport, prior to their departure. So I think you should consult with the airline and ask what specifically is the requirement. Then you don't have to go through the Embassy, just a notary public -- I do not know what he will charge.

So, check with the airline. I think the problem is more at boarding at your point of departure rather than them being let in the country. The flight attendant will breeze the children through.

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
needs his father's permission to leave the DR

the problem for us has been when my step son leaves the D.R. without the "proper" form(s) from his parents. We now have full legal custody (although the final papers are still in San Pedro being translated) but because his father is staying here in Canada they need his permission to come back here. The DR embassy here in Ottawa says the letter they give us will allow him to come back to Canada with no hassles. After reading your story I guess we are doing OK paying $100. And we have had various hassles at that end in the past.

It seems like everyone you ask gives you a different opinion ont he proper paperwork. The airlines have told us to ensure we have the proper parer work but send us to the different countries websites for details. When we all travel there together we have had no problem even though we still get a letter from his (Dominican) mother allowing him to travel (just in case of problems with Dominican immigration).

His AA ticket (because we only booked last week?? or maybe the length of his stay) was $904 July 11 - Sept 4 Ottawa-Chicago- Miami - SDQ. Quite a trip for an 11 year old. US Air was $1024 with only one stop in Philadelphia.

Happy travels.