Can anyone recommend a good calling card to call the DR from Canada

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I was wondering if anyone knew the name of a calling card that has good connection and good rates to a cellphone. I've tried a few and they are hit and miss, any advice is welcome.

vegasdiva

Dec 2, 2006
Lately, I've had good connections and a decent rate using NobelCom.com ( Phone Cards & Calling Cards from NobelCom. Up to 700 MORE MINUTES using Local Access Numbers! )
- a pinless service you subscribe to on the internet. Still use your phone, and they appear to have lots of "local" numbers in Canada you can use that will get you an even better rate. My experience is that all the companies go through good/bad phone times, and when one starts to get hinky on me, I just switch. The cards can be incredible deals, but have been the least reliable/consistent for me. NobelCom has been the most consistent/reliable so far, and even refunded me for a bunch of disconnects that I think may have had to with Verizon RD, not NobelCom.

Once I'm there (RD) to live, I plan to have my computer set up and use either Vonage or Skype. Think I've seen discussion of that here on DR1. I'm getting friends in the states hooked up with Skype accounts right now because Skype to Skype calls are free (using your computer).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Once I'm there (RD) to live, I plan to have my computer set up and use either Vonage or Skype. Think I've seen discussion of that here on DR1. I'm getting friends in the states hooked up with Skype accounts right now because Skype to Skype calls are free (using your computer).

We have both Skype and Vonage. The nice thing about Vonage is that it uses just the modum, not the computer. So can work on the computer and my wife can call friends on the cordless Vonage phone at the same time.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I use Fonebuster Flat cards, they have no connection or other hidden fees. Example: I left the card with the kids for them to contact us while we were in the DR and it was used 3 times by them and we still had over 100 min of talk time when I returned home. I also use this card to call the US. It works well for me.

vegasdiva

Dec 2, 2006
Ken, Thanks for the info. on Skype/Vonage.

And to everyone who's responded, thank you. Always good to find ways to save $!

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks for all the replies. I've used skype a couple of times, but my GF doesn't have a computer so I am charged for it, I found that there were difficulties in connecting. But I guess that is a problem no matter what system you are using. I tried Teckno yesterday, and it worked well, and also Copa del Mundo was alright. I guess it's just hit and miss with the connection, sometimes calls can go through right away, sometimes it can take an hour. So far I will say that Teckno has been the quickest to connect.

But if there are any new ones, or other reliable cards, please mention them.

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
Be careful to those who think Vonage will work in the DR. Vonage wont let you even connect if you have Satellite internet. Did the experience last summer.. Skype on the other hand was great. Wasn't clear as a phone call but at least I could connect and it costs about 0.03 cents/min. (to call Canada) No complaints there..

Another thing, if you put info on cards you're using put as well the amount of min you get..
Maximum Caribbean for 5$ 151min = but in reality 45 to an hour (cell phone)
Giant for 5$ = 200 and in reality a bit more then an hour (cell phone)
There are ranges of numbers that will only give you 15min of talk time. all 809 are ok but some new 829 are costly.

Speaking of which, I have been trying to figure where it blocks but I can't send sms to an 829 orange cell phone.. it just wont get there. Called Telus and Rogers and both say that they can follow it until it reaches Orange network. Orange wont do anything about it.. As anyone had this problem ?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
No problem

Have had no problem with sms to 829 in the DR, but then I am under tmobil if that makes a difference

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Another heads up, CiCi has terrible rates and connection. I've been trying to get through for over 15 minutes here, and it only gives 20 minutes for $5. tried 20/20 yesterday it was pretty good.

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
I can't seed SMS messages to the 829 area code either. I can call it from my rogers phone, but no text messages. It really bugs me.