Philanthropy By Mlb Players From Dr

Epborges

Jun 18, 2007
Can anyone help me get information on Philanthropic acts by major league ball players, past and present, from the DR? I need to know anything any of them has done to help their communities or the entire country.

Thanks

Epborges

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
do a search on this forum

I'm sure some others will add their knowledge, but there is already quite a bit in these threads about it - the good and bad.

It's a good thread to start and aggregate this information. Welcome to DR1 Mr. Borges.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Anyone driving from Puerta Plata to Santiagio via Navarette cannot help but see what looks like a Major League Baseball Stadium with floodlights on the right in Altimira. Bartolo Colon built this stadium with his own money at the cost of a few million dollars for the kids of his home town.

Also, two years ago when he won the AL Cy Young award he had a party for two or three days with all the Presidente you can carry for 2 Pesos a beer. The two pesos were for the help distributing the beer. Some people still have beer from those days.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
From what I know Pedro Martinez has been building houses, a school, and a church in his Santo Domingo neighbourhood which I forget the name of right now because it's late.

David Ortiz, and Manny Ramirez both donated $200 000 each a couple years ago for hurricane relief. There are a couple of other players that have foundations, and there are some that participate in events like the funglode golf tournament.

Try a search of +"name of baseball player" +foundation or +charity. This should bring up a few relevant results.

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
For the poster above, Pedro Martinez's hometown is Manogayabo, which is just northwest of Santo Domingo. He has built houses, a church, ballfields, etc... The NY Times did an excellent article about him and his Dominican roots in December 23, 2004 issue, which you can probably find online in the NY Times archives.

Speaking of which, the NY Times just this week did an article about how Robinson Cano is buying an ambulance for his hometown of San Pedro de Macoris, which you can find the story at this link A Yankee Needs an Ambulance, to Help His Home Country - New York Times

I also know that former player Tony Fernandez has a Christian based foundation for children in the Dominican Republic. They have a website at ttfoundation.com.

Also, a former player named John McCarthy along with Pepe Frias run a baseball camp in the Dominican Republic for underprivileged kids. Info for them can be found at About Home Run Baseball Camp

I also read in the David Ortiz autobiography about his numerous charitable activities related to kids and health care in the Dominican Republic. I forgot the name of the book, but I think it's just called Big Papi - I'm sure one can find it on Amazon and read up more about all of what he does for kids.

Sammy Sosa also did lots through the years too. Although I had heard that his charitable foundation had run into some kinds of trouble years ago, I'm not sure exactly for what or if any of the reports were ever true or verified, but he of course gave lots to help in the recovery of Hurricane George, and has given hundreds of computers to schools in the Dominican Republic over the course of his playing career.

Finally, I know that Albert Pujols's foundation is related to children with Downs Syndrome - his adopted daughter has Downs Syndrome, and the charity is building orphanages related to this cause, which you can read more about at Pujols Family Foundation : Faith, Family & Others.

I know that I'm leaving out a lot of other players and their numerous charitable deeds, but this is a start anyway!

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
That sure is a lot of info, good to know that they are giving back. I had done a little research on the topic, as I was seeking out players who might want to contribute to an NGO I was working for, but this is quite good. I'll pass the link to this page to the people who I was helping.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Lenox Massachusetts, David Ortiz, Boston Red Sox

A small town very close to where I grew up donated an ambulance to Haina during a presentation at Fenway Park.

Hopefully it won't get used much, but good to have something helpful.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Here's a link to the excellent New York Times article on Pedro Martinez that I had mentioned in a previous post, dating from December of 2004.

Good read.

Two things struck me about this story however:

"in the Dominican Republic, where 25 percent of the population lives below the poverty line".

It's only 25%? I was thinking more like 25% of the pop live ABOVE the poverty line?

Secondly "In my life, there are ups and downs, and I know one day I'm going I'm going to be down here," he said at the bottom of the stairs. "All I want is to be loved and respected, so I hope that when I am down here, people here will still be at my sides."

He has to know that's foolish hope. The parasites will have moved on to the next one.