trouble in paradise

troubleinparadise

Jun 18, 2007
Suppose someone told you this PURELY hypothetical situation :

Hypothetical friends recently moved into a condo on the North Coast. They since discovered that they have a resident drug dealer renting there, apparently doing a thriving business out of his residence. In discussing this with other residents, the other residents would appear to be aware of the situation, but do not want to become involved - reprisals and also the fact that it is commonly known that when Dominican Drug Enforcement "raid", they hassle, raid, invade, and generally terrorize everyone within walking and talking distance.

Needless to say, the situation for our hypothetical friends is very bad, and obviously terribly unsafe - lots of strangers visiting at all hours.

Again, in this PURELY hypothetical situation, does anyone have any suggestions, thoughts, advice, or any previous experience in a similar PURELY hypothetical situation, that they could offer to our hypothetical friends ?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Fight or move.
Those are the 2 options.
Enduring it would just ruin their lives and they surely didn't move to the tropics to be unhappy.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Try calling INTERPOL you might have better luck than with the locals. But do it from a call center that way the phone cannot be traced to you.

Feb 7, 2007
They should go for a vacation, and during the vacation time make anonymous call to DNCD (I even heard a complain can be file don their website - good to do form Intyernet cafe).

So when they are on vacation, their house would nto get raided.

Also, remember, to make any raid, a fisacal or his assistant MUST be present, and they cannto just raid any apartment in a condo complex, anyhow the fiscal is present any any troubles you can address directly with fiscalia.

Look, things move here - a friend's wife's nephew was beaten by an off duty cop. He was talking to his girlfriend, and some guy came and started loitering around. He asked him politely to leave. the guy went away and came witha friend of his - a "teniente". He started beating the guy and even fired a shot in the air. The barrio came in and everything turned into a "gran lio". The PN cops came in, he showed him his teniente ID, and the "patrulla" did nothing. Moments later, the guy that initiated the trouble and his cop friend left.
The cop is from Higuey but works in Santo Domingo.

The next day, my friend's wife went to fiscalia, and also spoke with PN coronel, along with a witness, and the "Barrio Policia" guy who witnessed everything, they brought the capsule from the fired shot, and the cop that fired in the air and started beating the nephew, is now being seeked and an arrest warrant has been issued by the judge. These people are not any prominents, they are regular dominicans, but apparently abuse is not being tolerated neither by the local coronel nor by fiscal.

troubleinparadise

Jun 18, 2007
This is exactly the problem - why should anyone - owner or renter - have to call Interpol (anonymously) or secretly leave on a short vacation, and have the Drug Police do their nasty, while they're away ? What about all the other unfortunate (and completely innocent) residents who happen to be home that day ? No wonder people take the "I don't want to get involved" attitude. Makes you wonder who the bad guys are.

Mortran

Oct 12, 2004
anti-jihad.dd.vg
Snitching never pays off. What do you expect to gain?
In the best case you would get a drug raid by the DNCD in your condo, which is really no fun. But it could also get worse. You don't know who in the police is also involved in this business. And you can figure out for yourself how they would react about someone who sticks his nose into their business and even tells them about it.
If you simply look the other way, you have nothing to be afraid of. The worst-case scenario could possibly be a drug raid some day. But this is what you can expect for sure, if you get involved.
So why snitching? You have nothing to win, you only could get into a lot of trouble.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
In the best case you would get a drug raid by the DNCD in your condo, which is really no fun. But it could also get worse. You don't know who in the police is also involved in this business. And you can figure out for yourself how they would react about someone who sticks his nose into their business and even tells them about it.
If you simply look the other way, you have nothing to be afraid of. The worst-case scenario could possibly be a drug raid some day. But this is what you can expect for sure, if you get involved.
So why snitching? You have nothing to win, you only could get into a lot of trouble.
Although I certainly agree with you that the folks in question, could get into trouble, but there are other aspects to look at too.
1st: Looking the other way does not necessarily mean they are not in danger. Having drug dealers as neighbours, poses a threat to all in many ways.
2nd: Doing nothing has it's moral consequences.
I'm not advocating anything in particular. I'm just saying that there is no simple solution and it's a bit of a catch 22.
The only safe advice is to try to sell.
Maybe one of the drug dealers might like to buy the mentioned condo.
One thing that is absolutely sure, is that these folks need to think really carefully, before making any move.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
If this is a condominium, then there must be management whom you pay a maintenance fee to and can complain to. It should be up to this management to upkeep the common areas and enforce rules, i e, late-night partying or too many visitors to one single unit.
You should involve other condo owners that share your concern. There's strength in unity and you may be surprised as to how resourceful and well-connected some of them can be.
I would say fight the druggies any way you can. Use your superior intellect to find the right solution to eradicate this infestation. Believe me, there's always a way to resolve any problem safely. Fight smartly, don't flee.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Woa!

There's one extremely important factor to be considered here! That these people are in fact, dealing/using drugs. Let's not go jumping into conclusions based on "hypothesis". You must corroborate your suspicions before you ruin someone's life/reputation with unfounded accusations.
These people could simply be inconsiderate "party animals". Unless you label alcohol and tobacco as illegal drugs, you can't automatically rubber-stamp anyone.
you must verify before you testify. Be careful, don't assume anything, okay?

troubleinparadise

Jun 18, 2007

" What do they expect to gain " ??? How about living safe, having a scum-bag out of their lives, their family's lives, their friend's and neighbour's lives, standing up for what is right, doing the right thing.... do I have to go on ?

" If you simply look the other way, you have nothing to be afraid of " Wow, that's some attitude. You're one dude I don't want or need for a friend or neighbour. Enough said.

oceanbound

On Vacation!
May 31, 2007
The OP several times reminded us that his senario is "PURELY HYPOTHETICAL."

"Thou doest protest too much?"

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
No idea why Gary Short loves kittens here in this thread, but anyway...

If I understand it right, the people that are concerned are owners, and the alleged dealer is a renter, Yes? Now if the owners of the condo where the alleged dealer rents would need their condo back, then the alleged dealer can move on to greener pastures. That would be a fair outcome.

Intervention in such a situation can be very dangerous as we all know.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Unless they have been here for a while and know people in high positions, I wouldn?t hang around! Even if they got rid of the bad guy in the apartment next door they still would upset the big boss and would have to watch their back anywhere they go. We might have made the DR our home but it?s still their turf and we have to play their way. I have a neighbor up the street who?s a General in the army; so I make it a point to go there once in a while and have some beers with him and chit chat with the wife.I also make sure other neighbors in the area know that we are friends, so when trouble knocks at my door, I just need to make one phone call and I know things will be taking of. :chinese:

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Don't let them.

"We might have made the DR our home but it?s still their turf and we have to play their way"

Although I understand we might be dealing with ruthless people here and one needs to be extremely cautious, a passive attitude will result in the problem getting worse, not better.
There must be someone else there that shares your concern. Talk to that person(s). Analize the situation and devise a workable strategy for getting rid of these vermints. Remember, there's always and answer to every question. You just need to find a safe way to implement it.
Intimidation will result in thinking it's their turf, it isn't. And no, we don't have to play it their way. If "we look the other way", A good place to live will surely turn bad and everyone will lose, guaranteed.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Although I understand we might be dealing with ruthless people here and one needs to be extremely cautious, a passive attitude will result in the problem getting worse, not better.
I'd have to agree with you.
It ain't going to go away by itself, and it's like a festering wound that's just gonna get worse.
There must be someone else there that shares your concern. Talk to that person(s).
But be really careful who you talk to.
You never know who is friends with whom.

Analize the situation and devise a workable strategy for getting rid of these vermints.
Ahhhh. "Vermints". A cross between vermin and varmints.
I like it.
And by all means, one would need an excellent almost foolproof plan.

Remember, there's always and answer to every question. You just need to find a safe way to implement it.
Very true.