Passport and ID Question..NEED HELP!!!

SiriusBlack

Apr 16, 2007
I need help!! I am a US citizen. I am one of those folks who applied for a passport and have been caught in the mess of the change in requirements. Now the state department is allowing folks to travel to places such as the Dominican republic with a print out confirmation proving that they have already applied for a passport (which I have). Apparently you can show this confirmation and your driver's license.

The question is what documents will the DR require once I land? I know I need to buy a visitor's card but will they accept my driver's license? Of course my birth certificate is with the passport application. So all I have is my driver's license. THIS FREAKING SUCKS....is my trip down the tubes??? I am scheduled to leave next Wednesday (June 27).

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Don't worry, you just need photo id when entering the DR, they may take you into the back for a photo and that's it. You can also go to your local Bureau of Vital Records for a certified copy of your birth certificate. (125 Worth St. NYC) If you live in NY.

Enjoy your trip

SiriusBlack

Apr 16, 2007
Thanks Ricardo. I actually was able to get through to the state department (finally). The guy put a rush request on my passport but I will tell you that he told me that I would definitely need a certified copy of my birth certificate to enter DR. Any rate, he put in the rush request and suggested that I get a certified copy of my birth certificate anyway (it said it was just a good thing to have). I went online with my local authorities here and there is a website set up to make these requests. So even if the passport does not show up, I should have the birth certificate in the next couple of days. As I was telling Capt Rob....this trip just feels cursed. Its been one road block after another but I'll get there!

Feb 7, 2007
You cretainly should have the certified copy fo your birth certificate, not only to enter the DR but also to be able to get back to the USA.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
i'm confused, so you CAN travel to dr without a us passport?? don't they ask you for it at the ticket counter here in the us before they give you the boarding pass?

if you can indeed leave w/no passport, won't you need it for re-entry anyway?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
i'm confused, so you CAN travel to dr without a us passport?? don't they ask you for it at the ticket counter here in the us before they give you the boarding pass?

if you can indeed leave w/no passport, won't you need it for re-entry anyway?

There's some type of letter or form from the passport agency stating that your application is being processed. That is what you will use along with your birth certificate and drivers license/state ID.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
News Flash!

Dolores, you don't even nee an application confirmation receipt! ....

New U.S. Passport Rules Postponed for at Least Six Months

By Spencer S. Hsu and William Branigin
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, June 21, 2007; Page A11

The Bush administration yesterday postponed for at least six months a new security rule that Americans show a passport when crossing U.S. borders by land or by sea, requiring instead that citizens present an identity card and proof of citizenship upon entry for the first time beginning Jan. 31.
Under the change, travelers returning from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean would no longer be able to make a verbal declaration of U.S. citizenship, but would have to present a government-issued photo identification, such as a driver's license or certain "trusted traveler" cards, and a birth certificate.

Children under 16 years of age could present certified copies of birth certificates.
The Homeland Security and State Departments said they expect to require passports or similar documents no sooner than summer 2008.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The bastards couldn't see the FUBAR situation coming, could they?? So I had to go jump through hoops and sweat to get my new passport....
Gee, all to G-15s running around D.C. with nothing to do....

Idiots!!

Bottom line, you can travel with a birth certificate and a couple of photo IDs, like drivers license and your membership in the Howdy Doody Club!

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The bastards couldn't see the FUBAR situation coming, could they?? So I had to go jump through hoops and sweat to get my new passport....
Gee, all to G-15s running around D.C. with nothing to do....

Idiots!!

Bottom line, you can travel with a birth certificate and a couple of photo IDs, like drivers license and your membership in the Howdy Doody Club!

HB
HB, it's not just SDQ where government idiots live. They are alive, well and in abundance in DC and 50 other cities in the US.

travelkid

Jan 21, 2007
I need Help!

So do you need a birth certificate or not to get into the DR, I have family comming on Wed the 4th and they do not have their passports yet. The airline told them that they world only need their photo id and proof they applied for passports-- What does the Dominican require? Please Help :(

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
They will need their birth certificate, aduana and US Customs will use that as proof of citizenship and stamp it. Your family better hurry-up to their local bureau of vital records pronto.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
So do you need a birth certificate or not to get into the DR, I have family comming on Wed the 4th and they do not have their passports yet. The airline told them that they world only need their photo id and proof they applied for passports-- What does the Dominican require? Please Help :(

Basically if you are have a pulse and some form of picture ID the DR will let you in. I know of no American that has ever been denied entry into the DR. Maybe someone else does, but I doubt it.

Don't worry.

jblausey

Jun 13, 2007
acmescuba.com
My wife is in the same situation. She is at the Passport office in San Francisco right now. Things are not moving fast as she had an 11AM appointment and is still standing outside at 12:30 PM. I understand that the USA has relaxed rules now but what about the DR? Will the letter stating the passport is in process, California drivers lic and a certified birth cert do the trick? We leave Saturday the 14th. I can't find anything on the web and I have called the govt' offices but I would love to see something in black and white. This is a big trip for us and I'd hate to see it ruined by a paperwork snafu.

John

dominicanhusband

Jul 18, 2007
need help for my wifes passport

my wife has been a legal resident here in the us for about 15 yrs now the problem is the uscis "imigration" sent her new alien card to a wrong address since then her state id has exspired and they will not give her a new one without the alien card or at least a passport we live in arizona and i am trying to get her a passport so she can even enter the uscis building here in phoenix so she may clear up some of the issues i am really having a hard time finding a way to get her a dominican passport if anyone can help please do so my next question is can she get a us passport at all ?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
My wife is in the same situation. She is at the Passport office in San Francisco right now. Things are not moving fast as she had an 11AM appointment and is still standing outside at 12:30 PM. I understand that the USA has relaxed rules now but what about the DR? Will the letter stating the passport is in process, California drivers lic and a certified birth cert do the trick? We leave Saturday the 14th. I can't find anything on the web and I have called the govt' offices but I would love to see something in black and white. This is a big trip for us and I'd hate to see it ruined by a paperwork snafu.

John

Yes, the letter, drivers lic. & birth cert. is OK to travel to the DR. Black & White? How about this. Travel Accommodation Announced June 8, 2007

tusabesquien

Jul 20, 2007
Spirit Flight and Passport Fiasco

Not sure if this reply may be more pertinent as a new topic in the Airlines Forum but I wonder how many folks are being affected by this passport requirement fiasco.

Here's my story. My 18 yo son, who lives in NY, came to visit me in FL. He and I were flying for the weekend from FLL to SDQ on 7/13, 6AM flight via Spirit, but never made it. Turns out his passport expired July 1, 2007 and although he had official birth cert and driver lic, Spirit did not allow him to board without the confirmation letter (which he obviously did'nt have). So we got credit vouchers for the airfare ($301 R/T for the 2 of us). Yesterday I re-booked another flight for me only via the internet for $254.00 and applied both vouchers but the website wanted to charge me a $140 ($70 for each voucher) "administrative fee". So I called Spirit and got a rep who, after I explained my situation, said that the FLL counter rep and supervisor should not have stopped us from boarding. According to her, if the passport expiration date was within one year, Spirit at FLL should have allowed us board!! So I asked her if they would waiver the Admin fee and after talking to a supervisor, I got the full voucher credit. I am still out $25 for the non-refundable prepaid baggage that we were taking with us. But that's another battle which I will fight at the airport. BTW, I immediately called my son back in NY (he took it hard that we were not able to go) to tell him that it was not his fault.

Here's another one. This week, my brother, his wife and kids were scheduled to fly to Belgium from Orlando, FL for 3 weeks. But only the wife and kids made it because he did/has not received his renewed passport on time (application submitted in April) and he is still waiting, hoping to join them as the days go by before they return. It cost him $200 to cancel his flight plus $ difference of a new ticket, if he can find one!

You'd think with all the $ fees that this gov't agency collects that they would hire sufficient and competent people to process what is basically "paperwork" and simply communicate and inform the public what the rules are. This is one of the most inept and inefficient of all government agencies and in the past nobody has complained or cared because the constituency it supposedly serves do not yet have political muscle or power. Maybe I am being cynical but I think they purposely relish the bureaucratic red tape, slow processing, and delays to cause the helpless folks who are waiting for U.S. residency, citizenship, etc, to lose hope, despair, and perhaps give up and go back. Now that native Americans are being affected with this passport requirement, they are waking up and smelling the bitter coffee.

To end this rant, my son and I made the most of the weekend by spending it in Key West. Interestingly, all the hotels were full and I wondered how many tourists are opting to vacation in the homeland (the only redeeming economic value) rather than putting up with this passport mess.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The US has so many new and old laws regarding travel now that there is not one person working for the airlines that could possibly keep up with this garbage.

Move to the DR and enjoy life.

oneeasy

Jul 20, 2007
Atlant

What can I do here in Atlanta for an quick responce on my passport. Still stuck, dead end.
Thanks Ricardo. I actually was able to get through to the state department (finally). The guy put a rush request on my passport but I will tell you that he told me that I would definitely need a certified copy of my birth certificate to enter DR. Any rate, he put in the rush request and suggested that I get a certified copy of my birth certificate anyway (it said it was just a good thing to have). I went online with my local authorities here and there is a website set up to make these requests. So even if the passport does not show up, I should have the birth certificate in the next couple of days. As I was telling Capt Rob....this trip just feels cursed. Its been one road block after another but I'll get there!

tusabesquien

Jul 20, 2007
Still waiting for U.S. passport.......

My brother is still waiting for his passport. His family is due back Aug 2nd from Belgium and he's hoping to join them for whatever days remain. The passport center in New Hampshire told him that the wait is now 6 months and there are millions of applications in process. And this temporary measure - the letter confirming the application submission - for Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean ends 9/30/07. Unless it is extended everyone will need a passport after 9/30. What a riot!!!!!

For those in the U.S.: If you are flying overseas in the next couple of months, and your passport is expiring, do not send it for renewal. It may be better to purchase your ticket and apply for an appointment via phone to a regional passport agency to get your passport on the appointment day. You need to be traveling within 14 days of the appointment date and bring your ticket confirmation along with the other docs. Good Luck!!!