Lack of Tourists in Cabarete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdaric

Aug 28, 2003
Hi folks, my friend has a small T shirt and assortment of knick knacks for sale in the front of a small apt as you enter Cabarete from Sosua.
She says the number of tourists in the area has dropped off considerably and the few that go by aren't buying much.
Is this an obviously seasonal cycle which will gear up during the next few months or is it unusual that anyone has noticed?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi folks, my friend has a small T shirt and assortment of knick knacks for sale in the front of a small apt as you enter Cabarete from Sosua.
She says the number of tourists in the area has dropped off considerably and the few that go by aren't buying much.
Is this an obviously seasonal cycle which will gear up during the next few months or is it unusual that anyone has noticed?
I always thought June was a great month for Cabarete.
It's the month when they used to hold the Windsurfing championships.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
It's seasonal ... Cabarete it seems is always quiet right around my birthday, every year I hear the same whisperings around the streets, nobody here, nobody buying, no money in the streets, always right around June/July.

Stay well,
Amy

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Some possible reasons for lack of tourists

A crime wave(multiple armed robberies, shootings, gun battles with securtiy guards, armed assaults on condo complexes and houses, drug dealers, streetwalkers), no enforcement of the laws by policia, chaotic traffic conditions, unsafe driving conditions, corrupt policia, early bar closing hours, high taxes and inflation of beer and cigarette prices, high inflationary conditions in general, over-priced restaurants, 26% tax on restaurant meals, a general business mentality of--get what they can now with no conception future repeat business, etc.. Hope thi helps!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It's seasonal ... Cabarete it seems is always quiet right around my birthday, every year I hear the same whisperings around the streets, nobody here, nobody buying, no money in the streets, always right around June/July.

Amy

I agree with Amy. In July/August things usually pick up considerably with the arrival of European vacationers.

Dead in Sosua, too.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
more than likely its because its low season in the DR right now. when the weather starts getting colder in peoples home countries they will start coming back down to enjoy the warm weather.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
A crime wave(multiple armed robberies, shootings, gun battles with securtiy guards, armed assaults on condo complexes and houses, drug dealers, streetwalkers), no enforcement of the laws by policia, chaotic traffic conditions, unsafe driving conditions, corrupt policia, early bar closing hours, high taxes and inflation of beer and cigarette prices, high inflationary conditions in general, over-priced restaurants, 26% tax on restaurant meals, a general business mentality of--get what they can now with no conception future repeat business, etc.. Hope thi helps!

Ok I gotta say it:tired:

How do you get out of bed in the morning with all this doom and gloom hovering around your little world.
Take a valium and move to La la Land where there is no crime and the streets are paved with gold:bored:
hifiman

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Huh, whats wrong here

Streetwalkers are a problem? Wake up, its one of the reasons there are German and Canadian tourists here. As regards the US they dont know where the DR is.

bdaric

Aug 28, 2003

Stay well,
Amy

OK, that's good to know Amy thanks...

I wasn't sure when the kitesurfing season really began Rocky, so there's another pointer that things will look up..
Last time in Sosua I dropped by your restaurant for a bite and the food was great!..everything folks say about the value for money at your place (I'm assuming you are the Rocky of Rocky's?) is on the money.

The other points about the armed robberies and shootings, if the posts I've seen are true, are serious reasons for concern.
I do recall folks saying there would be a slow migration from SD to PP of ner'do'wells and unfortunately it seems to be becoming true.

Hopefully President Leonel will want to protect the investment made in the roads and the infrastructure on the North Coast (PP Malecon)to encourage tourism and ensure it is better policed so folks don't feel threatened.

Denmay565

Dec 6, 2005
May and June are typically quieter than in most other months....let's not make it out to be more than it is

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
With the world kite championship series here for the next two weeks things are starting to pick up in Caberete.

Bob K

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Final competition I believe is next weekend. However many of the athletes are arriving this week along with spectators.

Bob K

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
the here and now.......

How do you get out of bed in the morning with all this doom and gloom hovering around your little world.
Take a valium and move to La la Land where there is no crime and the streets are paved with gold:bored:
hifiman
i think what the op was trying to say is that there HAS been an explosion of crime in the area and a general increse all over the island in crime.
to say otherwise would just be like burying your head in the sand.
me alone know of 4 armed robberies that occured on the same night in the general area of the texaco gas station at the far end of town.
one of these robberies happend to a friend of mine who was robbed at gun point as he relaxed on his couch in his apt.
i too once thought the crime rate was exagerrated,but no longer.
so many men and women are on the look out for the quick buck of late that it IS getting scarey around the place now.
i never used to be nervous walking alone at night in various areas of cabarete or sosua but of late having had some 1st hand reports of muggings and break in's from the victims themselves i am much more consious of my personal security.(something i,like you at the moment,once scoffed at!).
all joking aside tranquilizers are almost a must have commidity with the ambiance(if you are really paying attention to it)of a sinister greed for cash in the tourist zones at the moment.
honestly speaking,i dont think ANYONE can afford to let there guard down in the present climate with regard to personal security.
i could go on and on about other crimes i hear happening on a daily basis to ex-pats and tourists but i would be here writing this post all night.
BELIEVE ME AND OTHERS,we ain't in kansas anymore toto............
may your God go with you.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
No Vale La Pena.

....i could go on and on about other crimes i hear happening on a daily basis to ex-pats and tourists but i would be here writing this post all night.
Waste of time.
The further somebody lives the less he/she believes you.
Others have given up to inform about such things anyway.

Have a drink instead.

m'frog

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

hifiman

I concur for what it is worth............. why do some people choose to live here?

Sosuany

Nov 11, 2006
I was in sosua and Cabarete in January. I felt very safe during my stay there. No one bothered me. Has Sosua and Cabarete changed that drastically in 5 months? I walked in the center of town in Cabarete and it seemed like a nice beach town. I also walked in Sosua at night while some streets are deserted. Should I forget about visiting DR in the future? I saw a lot of early 20's people in Cabarete having a good time. I saw retired people spending days in the beach. Are these muggings only affecting expats that live there? If crime is so bad, I can't see why the tourist police isn't fighting back?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i was in sosua in march (boca chica jan and may) and i really didn't see anything different from the norm. i was on pedro clisante every night and duarte in boca chica and i saw no crime on the main drags. i know we are talking caberete but i'm wondering where these crimes are occuring (out of curiosity).
i'm not a drunk and disorderly tourista so maybe i don't look like an easy target or i'm just lucky....

Status
Not open for further replies.