A different hotel question

vegasdiva

Dec 2, 2006
I have a pure Dominican girlfriend. I am a super white guy( not a nice guy, just extra white)....and I have been to hotels all over the island in the last 20 months with her. In my 18 trips to see her I have stayed in a hotel somehwere with her out of of town ( hers) 16 times....and I have never once got a remark about her. I have never even felt like there was a question brewing in any of the hotels staffs mind...maybe I am just very lucky...maybe we really just look like a couple.. who knows. I am very glad for it. I would HATE for her to be embarrassed. We have stayed in small towns and resort towns and Santo Domingo....

Do they really give you a hard time?..and how do you comabt that when you have a legitimate GF??
I know i would make it ugly fast.....and my GF would just run to the car and hide...she hates when the white guy gets loud ha ha ha ha

bob

At this risk of getting slammed for saying it openly on this site, I am also 'very white' and I have a "very dominican" novio. I have wondered this same question posed by bob, and I didn't see any specific responses to it.

On past trips, and when travelling away from his home, we've avoided this concern by staying at friends' and other relative's homes.

Now, I'm coming out to explore job opportunities and thought we'd have more quiet and privacy by staying at hotels in SD and STI and possibly Sosua area.

So, any suggestions on how to deal with negative reactions? Like Bob said, I don't want mi novio to be embarrassed, I don't want to get offended and loud - But I will defend the legitimacy of our relationship.
I'm just looking for places where our being together won't lead to a conflict or some other negative consequence. (God, I'll be glad when "the search" is over and we can live peacefully in our own place.)

Bob, I'm curious if you think you don't get a "reaction" because of the way you dress? (if so, how?), your gender? your age? I understand you "look like a couple" with your other; so do I. Among friends and family, there is no problem. But that doesn't stop me from fearing the same type of reaction that I've seen in some of these forums.

Suggestions on places to avoid, and places that are professional/accepting? Not looking for anything fancy or large, just safe, quiet, and professional. It looks like Hotel maison Gautreax or the Hotel Discovery in Sto. Dom. - good proximity to govt buildings and at least one university.

Thanks for any help,
vegasdiva

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Why would you expect negative reactions? What can they do? Dominicans are very diverse in terms of skin shades themselves. They have seen it all in terms of couples as well. There are so many tourists from different parts of the world in there. I think they would get used to seeing any kind of people in a couple. They like to stare at people this is true. But you can get that anywhere...

vegasdiva

Dec 2, 2006
Don't know what they can do. But I expect negative because of everything I read on DR1. Many people writing here can be negative. And obviously bob (laurapasinifan) was responding to a similar question.

I guess the other thing i see here is all the men (I assume) asking if a hotel is "guest-friendly." Doesn't that imply that if I'm with a dominicano, he's the same type of person? I simply want to avoid that scenario because he's not, we're not. Only stayed at a resort/hotel once in 5 trips to the DR, so I don't have experience with hotels, and I'm merely reading what's been written here.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
most ask for 2 reasons:
A: they have a legit GF
B: they want working chicas

asking on DR1 also avoids the hassles and conflicts you are discussing....

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I think you can pick any of the hotels. I really cannot see you having any problems with locals. They will smile, talk and stare. But you will get the same if you are alone. Dominicans are very friendly people. Bob's post was about being with a girl who might have been worried about looking like a pro. But I would not think your novio will have the same concerns. Have fun!

Feb 7, 2007
If we talk about foreigners dating Dominicanas, or being married to them, etc., they can book inyo any hotel together. No problems whatsoever. She just has to be at check-in. Usually no ID asked for. If she is not at check in, her name HAS to be added to the reservation AT CHECK IN, and when she comes her ID is asked for and compared to the reservation record. If it matches, she is let in.
Also it is important that the girl loks like a girlfriend and not a hooker.

This goes same for AI's as well as city business-class hotels (Melia, Hilton, Jaragua, Intercontinental, Embajador, etc.)

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
In answer to your question, vegasdiva, I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much. While the DR is obviously very open and friendly, prostitution is still big business and some hotel owners are suspicious. When I was with my boyfriend in Santiago, we had one hotel owner that apparently thought I was a 'working girl,' I guess. I can assure you that I wasn't dressed like a hooker lol, just simple jeans, t-shirt, and flip-flops. However, since I'm a young women that 'looks Dominican' (whatever that means) and it was late at night, they had their assumptions. Obviously, I was incredibly offended and got pretty upset, which I would recommend you not do :) The best thing is just move on to another hotel that accepts you--it's not worth it for you to have to explain your relationship to someone when it's none of their business...and if they have a problem with it, don't give them your money, plain and simple.

Specific recommendations in STI, I've never had any problems with Hotel Colonial (budget hotel for short trips, not exactly business class), Hotel Aloha Sol, or Hotel Gran Almirante.

vegasdiva

Dec 2, 2006
Thanks to DR1'ers

Thanks to everyone for your responses and suggestions. I'm much more at ease, and looking forward more than ever to this trip. I'll get to explore Santo Domingo and Santiago, and even take in some historical sites.

DR1 is an amazing resource for newcomers (and I've determined I'll be a newbie until I've lived there for a long time). Thanks!

5 days to takeoff . . .

vegasdiva

vegasdiva

Dec 2, 2006
asking on DR1 also avoids the hassles and conflicts you are discussing....

Agreed. Thank you. . . . now I'm off to ask a few more questions & si dios quiere, will benefit from those who've gone before:glasses:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
But

In answer to your question, vegasdiva, I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much. While the DR is obviously very open and friendly, prostitution is still big business and some hotel owners are suspicious. When I was with my boyfriend in Santiago, we had one hotel owner that apparently thought I was a 'working girl,' I guess. I can assure you that I wasn't dressed like a hooker lol, just simple jeans, t-shirt, and flip-flops. However, since I'm a young women that 'looks Dominican' (whatever that means) and it was late at night, they had their assumptions. Obviously, I was incredibly offended and got pretty upset, which I would recommend you not do :) The best thing is just move on to another hotel that accepts you--it's not worth it for you to have to explain your relationship to someone when it's none of their business...and if they have a problem with it, don't give them your money, plain and simple.

Specific recommendations in STI, I've never had any problems with Hotel Colonial (budget hotel for short trips, not exactly business class), Hotel Aloha Sol, or Hotel Gran Almirante.[/quot

It takes a certain kind of person "just to move on" to another hotel and accept the abuse. It's probably a lot better for the stress barometer and your heart but we are all not made the same.

There's a little word , it's called "respect". That 7 letter word can lead to tables being overturned, chairs flying, managers being called, and a hell of a lot more when dissing the wrong person.
All comes down to -what one is willing to put up with.
john

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Don't Worry, Be Happy!

:cheeky: Have a Good Trip! - Please be sure to post a trip report when you come back.

oceanbound

On Vacation!
May 31, 2007
Virtually everything in DR comes with a price tag, including 20-something gals and guys.

Why get so offended if someone thinks you also come with a price tag. Its not a statement about you personally. It is a statement about DR. These price tags are a major part of the DR economy and everyone knows and accepts it.

These price tags are in place due to the needs of the Dominican people to feed self and family. If the gov't would offer sufficient social welfare programs, there would be fewer 20-somethings walking around with price tags hanging off their ass.

Last edited:

vegasdiva

Dec 2, 2006
no one here is 20, but thanks

Virtually everything in DR comes with a price tag, including 20-something gals and guys.

Why get so offended if someone thinks you also come with a price tag. Its not a statement about you personally. It is a statement about DR. These price tags are a major part of the DR economy and everyone knows and accepts it.

These price tags are in place due to the needs of the Dominican people to feed self and family. If the gov't would offer sufficient social welfare programs, there would be fewer 20-somethings walking around with price tags hanging off their ass.

We're in the 35 to 49 yr. old category - not quite retired, but well past the 20s. I think I was unduly concerned about something that I now understand doesn't apply to my situation.

In spite of the state of social welfare, you'll find 20-somethings no matter what and wherever you go. I HAVE been living in Las Vegas NV for over 13 years now. Prostitution is actually legal and govt.-regulated (health/income) in the next county over here. And you see it everywhere at all levels of SES. Perhaps it's more of a supply & demand issue.:cheeky:

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006

Yep. It's the government's fault for not feeding and housing the entire country. This is, after all the preferred role of government. But it seems they're kinda busy now, cutting down shade trees to plant palms.:ermm:

I am always amazed when I see government get the blame for not solving all of society's problems. The government of RD cannot even pay policia sufficiently to provide for public safety, or find a way to create a judiciary that functions. Providing for the public safety is Job #1 for any government. If they fail so miserably at this- how in the world do you expect them to solve every problem?

And who teaches this stuff? That government's role is to provide employment, housing, nutrition, etc for every citizen? You're a graduate of the University of Lenin? Chavez U?

vegasdiva

Dec 2, 2006
Absolutely!

:cheeky: Have a Good Trip! - Please be sure to post a trip report when you come back.

I will. And I'm considering starting a blog. I certainly have enough notes & more pix than you want to know from past visits, but no hotels since my first trip. And I hadn?t even considered eating out because I?ve been learning about la comida t?pica. This time, though, I'll definitely write about whatever hotels / places I visit.

vegasdiva

vegasdiva

Dec 2, 2006
Yep. It's the government's fault for not feeding and housing the entire country. This is, after all the preferred role of government. But it seems they're kinda busy now, cutting down shade trees to plant palms.:ermm?

Hahahaha :rolleyes: Can you imagine what welfare would look like in the DR? Look at how well it works in the US! Where's the incentive to work? Besides, aren't palm trees pretty?:p

Haven't seen the govt yet that's able to please all the people all the time. And there?ll still be the 20-smtgs doin? what they do because they understand economics & because they can.