Cheap Santo Domingo?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Today?s DR1 News

According to a report released yesterday says that Santo Domingo is still one of the cheapest Latin American cities to live in.

Well then, Santiago must be on the other end of the list.

I just came from Supermercado Nacional in Santiago.
I started to buy a 14 1/2 oz can of Del Monte Stewed tomatoes.

The price was $109 pesos.
I ran it through the scanner, price is correct.

Translated at 32.20 pesos per dollar, that's $3.39 U.S. a can.

Thank God for the Free Trade Agreement.......................

cuas

May 29, 2006
What American product (non-perishable food) have you a taste for but it is sooo expensive compare to US prices?

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Today?s DR1 News

According to a report released yesterday says that Santo Domingo is still one of the cheapest Latin American cities to live in.

Well then, Santiago must be on the other end of the list.

I just came from Supermercado Nacional in Santiago.
I started to buy a 14 1/2 oz can of Del Monte Stewed tomatoes.

The price was $109 pesos.
I ran it through the scanner, price is correct.

Translated at 32.20 pesos per dollar, that's $3.39 U.S. a can.

Thank God for the Free Trade Agreement.......................

Definitely, they must be smoking something very good. And the funny thing is the many Dominicans whose do not know better believe this type of garbage.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
But you live in DR where you can go pick a tomato from a tree somewhere... why buy a can with preservatives and high sodium content??

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If you want to buy american products then its expensive here, if you go the dominican way, its still cheap.
I live in santiago and my rent in a 3 bedroom nice residential area = 200 dollars with 3 car park drive. I do not pay 60 dollars / hr labor on my car repair, its usually done for a few dollars for slave labor job in hot sun. You just have to know where to get it done right. Example: my radiator fully unassembled, de-soldered and opened up, cleaned from inside, re-soldered any leaks and then installed back inside my car. All for 500 pesos and my radiator is new again, set for another 5 years of torture.
if you plan on eating steak dinners in restaurants everyday, then DR can be very expensive, now if you cook at home, dominican items then it can become quite cost effective. DR is certainly more expensive than, lets say, colombia, but if compared to many European cities, its still cheap here. Santo domingo is way more expensive than santiago.
AZB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I should of known that! Where are the other 29 anyway??
They died of starvation, could not afford to buy food!

If you want to buy american products then its expensive here, if you go the dominican way, its still cheap.
A couple days earlier I bought a Dominican can of Tomatoes, just about spit out the first mouthful.

I do not pay 60 dollars / hr labor on my car repair, ,,,,,,,
I eat everyday, I don't get my car repaired everyday. And as stated above, I have tried Dominican can goods occasionally, never bougth the same ones twice. I like a "GOOD" treat once in a while and buy American brands.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
They died of starvation, could not afford to buy food!

A couple days earlier I bought a Dominican can of Tomatoes, just about spit out the first mouthful.

I eat everyday, I don't get my car repaired everyday. And as stated above, I have tried Dominican can goods occasionally, never bougth the same ones twice. I like a "GOOD" treat once in a while and buy American brands.

Come on man, its not really that bad at all as you make it sound like. American can of beans is almost the same as domincian can of beans, same goes for rice, bread, butter, veggies fruits etc. I have seen guys like you, you folks are the same folks who believe that brahma beer tastes like gutter water. Its just some people are gringos down to their bones. They just can't change. Guys like you could live here for 20 yrs and still not learn spanish. So please, give me a break, you are not in kansas anymore. learn to like domincian products if you complain of high prices of american goods. Dominican products are not all that bad, I agree, american goods are better in quality but you will not die if you use dominican ketchup or baldom mustard. I personally think they are ok.
AZB

P.S. who the hell eats a can of tomatoes? Yukkkkkkk.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I guess is true what they say: to each his own. I go to DR to eat FRESH! I refuse to eat anything from a can down there when there are so many little piles of the stuff on any street, mercado, or nearby tree. But anyway - thats you and I hope you find a can-can sale one day and stock up!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
american goods are better in quality but you will not die if you use dominican ketchup or baldom mustard.

I dont think ALL American products are better. I go to the supermarket and still get my Victorina tomato paste, salami Campesino and my Bustelo (colombian) coffee, and other items. And I LOVE Dominican ketchup!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I dont think ALL American products are better. I go to the supermarket and still get my Victorina tomato paste, salami Campesino and my Bustelo (colombian) coffee, and other items. And I LOVE Dominican ketchup!!

I couldn't have put it in better words. i agree. I love dominican ketchup, it tastes better. I love dominican bottled coke, it has real sugar inside and tastes better as opposed to american coke (corn syrup). I like brahma beer (cheaper) over presidente or even over american brands. I like dominican fruits veggies (aguacates yummy). I try to cook/eat everything fresh as possible like garlic, ginger, tomatoes, peppers, parsley, celantro, potatoes, dominican meat, fish etc. I buy as much dominican food as I can and if something is not available, I buy foreign brands. I guess some folks are 100% american white bread, they just have to have square meals. I just don't know why they even bother living here in the first place if anything dominican has so many defects in it.
AZB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
P.S. who the hell eats a can of tomatoes? Yukkkkkkk.

Have you never put veggies on your plate with other food AZB?
Or tomatoes on a hamburger?

You love beer (ugh), I love tomatoes.............

I got spoiled growing up in Baltimore, there was a tomatoe packing plant near where I lived. The trucks would be parked outside loaded with BIG, RED, JUICY TOMATOES. Would snatch a couple and eat them HOT off the truck.

NOW! Those were great tomatoes !!!!!!!

Try drinking your beer (ugh), hot from being in the Sun.

PS: To me, Victorina Ketchup is the best tasting.

Dominican products are not all that bad, I agree, american goods are better in quality but you will not die if you use dominican ketchup or baldom mustard. I personally think they are ok.
AZB, do you know what BalDom stands for?

BalDom if you look at the labels is a contraction of: Baltimore Dominican.

cuas

May 29, 2006
Please I am still waiting for an answer. What American product do you buy in DR because you have a taste for it or because it is better than the Dominican brand? I am travelling soon and I want to surprise some American friends with some goodies. Thank you.