Electrician needs work

edguzman

Mar 16, 2007
I'm relocating to DR within the next few months and was wondering if anyone know how the pay scale for electricians are ???

ed

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Electricians

self employed

Well, then we are not talking about a 'pay scale' (unless you want to employ electricians and not work yourself).

IMO you'd want to work in an area with much construction going on, especially gringo investments.
Dominicans tend to not to appreciate high quality installations and you would not be able to compete with their workmanship... ;)

There are a few gringo electricians here in Las Terrenas and they do have work. I don't know how much they make but two German guys have been around for some years and haven't starved yet...

m'frog

edguzman

Mar 16, 2007
thanks, I dont plan to employ worker,a good company would be fine with me as long as I dont starve...
ed

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
They (Dominican) usually charge per job. e.g. Call out, simple job will cost around RD$700 (US$21). Might take 2hrs, might take 2 mins

The country has no formal training system for these types of trades.
Nobody is licensed and the quality of electrical work is very low.
Most people learn by watching someone else, bad habits and techniques get duplicated over and over again. I cringe at some of the work I see here, rats nests held together with black PVC tape tape.

If your good and your based in Santo Domingo, I'm sure we could find you lots of work. You might even be able to earn a little more than the average Dominican sparky if your good :)

G

gary short

Why not find a large project that's about to get underway and offer your services............project management??????

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You can probably make more money if you are a competent electrician and learn the Dominican Ways and learn how to make them work for you and where the line is between properly done, and Dominican done. Otherwise you'll have to 'rewire' everything you touch.

I've had experience of one, and one only, competent 'Dominicanized' electrician. He soon moved on to bigger and better things as got real tired of explaining why his rates are more than the 'local sparky down the road'.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Forget

Most of that work would be repairing the ingenious jobs of 'sparkies' ... ;)

m'frog

Forget anything and everything you ever knew about wiring code, what colors are used for what. Here they use what they and find, and wire whatever works. Oh yes we dont use ground wires. :bunny:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you want to start a business in the DR that is guaranteed to fail, start importing and selling earth leakage trips :)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
We joke here that if a Dominican has a screwdriver - he is an electrician. If he has a wrench - he is a plumber. If he has a scooter - he is a mechanic.....

When I have watched some of the electrical work being done - I cringe - and I know very little about it.

edguzman

Mar 16, 2007
I thank you all for your comments. I have been in the electrical business for 7years now working both as an employee and as a sub-contractor. I feel at ease now that I know I wont have to change my trade.... thanks. By the way, I'll be there next Friday, the 29th, visiting all the party places..
ed

edguzman

Mar 16, 2007
I just read on DR1 about the High-rise in Santo Domingo.. anyone have any idea of the contractors that handle the electrical portion of the construction in that area ???

ED