Solar power!

hamburgesa

Mar 18, 2007
I haven't seen any postings for solar power. Don't you have this technology there? Does anyone have it?

james

Jan 14, 2002
Soluz Dominicana in Sosua (Los Charamicos) They were noted recently as installing the electric power system for the "Dream Project" school building & teachers training (Cabarete) which runs 100% from Solar power.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Send an email to michael.abraham@protec-dominicana.c I consider him the answer man when it comes to solar anything.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
solar power

i have a friend in sosua that installed solar panels to run his pool, but they were so expensive and hard to install (lack of reliable installers) that he says it's not worth the trouble or the money. apprently the dominican gov discurages it b/c they want to make money selling expensive unreliable power. not realizing that most steel it anyway (sarcasm - i'm sure they know)

it's a shame b/c it makes more sense to use solar power - no brainer.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Renewable Energy

Solar energy certainly is a tempting source in a country like this.
Unfortunaltely solar panels are still rather expensive and their output (at best) is just around 60 Watt each.
Yet this energy has to be stored in batteries in order to be available at night or in cloudy conditions.
For driving swimming pool pumps and deep well submergible pumps solar power has its limitations.

I was thinking about using solar power to keep my batteries from discharging too low (before the daily generator run) but have decided against it. The investment would not break even before 12 years against half an hour of Diesel time (which is enough to take my batteries over a slack).
More or less the same goes for wind power. Although much more powerful it's too much maintenance and initial costs.

m'frog

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
Solar hot water

In Cabarete I've seen panels on the roof that produce hot water by sunlight. Not sure this counts as "solar power" since not generating electricity but it must equate to savings on the utility bills. I've also seen at least one windmill electric generator mounted on a roof there.

Ben

hamburgesa

Mar 18, 2007
Yes, these are all interesting angles to consider. AND I would suppose that a hurricane could easily wipe out all the hard work. Let's hope that the prices will come down one day .... unless a large 'group' installation could be organised to cut costs a bit, providing everyone had the same goal. Just an idea though ....

drroyal2000

Aug 22, 2004
There is some company in Cabrera

Hi everyone I am from Calgary, canada. I have been in DR and back for
17yrs. There is a company that sell solar panel 80watts and also solar water heating. There in a small strip mall by a supermarcado and bank.
If you don't have a pool or lots of electronics solar panel are great.
Last time I was at my house, the power from the street blew up a lot of stuff in the town (computer, inverter, ect...). I will be getting 4 panel and 8 batteries (the one made for solar, guarantee for 10yrs) when I go back. I will turn my water pump to fill my tank on my roof, when it's full I will turn it off. The water will come down by gravity and for hot water, welllll,,,, you get use to not having it. So the one thing that will consume the most power is my fridge (you can go propane, but then you are paying for gas). We don't need a computer on air conditioning, use a fan on the nights that are hot. Some people want to live like they do back in there own country (well great if you do have the money). You don't have to be rich to live here (after you have your house built or bought). People should do gardening, almost everything grows here. Why buy fruit and veggies at the market.
Live on the interest in the bank, find a small income and enjoy the simple life.
Sorry got off topic a little bit. Good luck to everyone.

james

Jan 14, 2002
Last week I saw 115W solar panels at Soluz in Sosua.

I have used solar hot water at my place for 3 years now and its great. I do not even have the optional electric backup. However if you had many people living in your house you probably would need it....we are only 3.

h2ocruizers

Jul 24, 2007
Solar Stik

Super Solar panels, move with the sun, available in 50a and 100a

Worth a look

THAT is cool stuff. I just stumbled into that site earlier myself. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
One of the fellows at the environment meeting at Garry's house the other day, is a high ranking Edenorte executive, and he has been working with solar power projects for 10 or 20 years (Can't remember).
All Gary's contact info is in this thread.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/environment/64752-good-news-surprises.html
The Solar power expert is Dominican and does not speak English, but Garry does and he could and would assist anyone in need of answers.