Shipping from Western Canada to DR

Bloomhaven

Apr 19, 2007
Hello,

In the fall, I'll be moving from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada to Santiago. I've found several companies that will ship household goods overseas, but I'm curious if anyone has experience (good or bad) with any specific companies.

I've already read much of the advice on this board about what to bring and not bring. I intend to ship mostly things like my books, paintings, and heirloom china that I couldn't easily replace there.

I'm interested in any advice about how to select a good moving company for an overseas move.

Thanks for your help - this board has tons of good info!

pixelsketch

Mar 1, 2007
Western Canada expat

Hi, just noticed your post and wanted to say HI. My family and I are moving to the DR in October of this year from Sylvan Lake, AB. Nice to hear of someone nearby who's doibng the same. How long will you be there for? and for What reason? just curious .

cheers : )

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
Hello,

In the fall, I'll be moving from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada to Santiago. I've found several companies that will ship household goods overseas, but I'm curious if anyone has experience (good or bad) with any specific companies.

!

I moved my household from Montreal to Juan Dolio 3 months ago. Had a 20ft container full of furniture and personal effects. I used EUROPACK which in Montreal and they hired a local agent in SD to look after the customs clearance and paperwork. All I can tell you is - it's not cheap, it costs some $$ to ship by boat and so I would suggest to bring only what is absolutely necessary. The container went from Montreal to Nova Scotia by train and from there on the boat to the port of Caucedo (which is close to Juan Dolio).
That trip took 8 weeks, from door to door.

My suggestion when shopping for an international shipper, is to look for one who is a member of FIDI (only a professional shipper who can pass the quality control can be a member of FIDI). Read the contract in details and negotiate the $ down. Have someone in the DR who speaks spanish to work with your local agent and keep after them to ensure things progress rapidly. If you need additional info. please feel free to PM me, I'll be happy to help.

P.S.: Being from Edmonton, make sure you leave your winter boots behind.;)

Nasra

Feb 1, 2004
I used a very nice company in the past (all Dominicans and honest)
they take care of all your personal effects and household and ship it Door to Door to all Dominican Republic --> PERALTA BROS. SHIPPING 416.722.4107 --PERALTABROSHIPPING.CA