DR a country in Africa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
I was watching CNN and some reporter was talking about living conditions in Africa and he listed DR and Suriname as one of the countries...did anyone else catch this? This happened a few days ago...lol.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Hahaha, it reminds me of when I tell people that I am from Uruguay, and they say "but you don't look African."

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
Hahaha, it reminds me of when I tell people that I am from Uruguay, and they say "but you don't look African."

JAJAJAJA KE PASAO Uruguay and Suriname are always mistaken for African countries (I guess its because of the name) but I still don't understand why DR would be mistaken for one on national television...not that there's anythin wrong with Africa but I would guess that a national television network would know enough about to DR to know that it is in the caribbeans, in between Cuba, PR, and Jamaica. The reporter listed the countries in this order...

Ethiopia
Uganda
Rwanda
Kenya
Democratic Republic of Congo
Dominican Republic
South Africa
Uganda (he mentioned it twice for some reason)
Suriname

He listed more countries before Ethiopia also, but I started paying attention at Ethiopia...He listed mroe countries after that but I was too stunned to pay attention, all I could think about was...man, I have been living in Africa all this time and I didn't know it. Then I got mad because I never got to go on a safari trip >:O

I'm going to try and find out the name of the reporter also, maybe I can find a clip about it lol

Last edited:

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
It is like when Americans ask me where I am from and I answer - Ukraine - a lot of them don't even know where it is. They never heard the name of the country before :tired:

So, Dominican case is not that bad at all ;)

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Americans and geography don't mix that well.

Antwerp the capital of Brussels (Antwerp is the capital of a Belgian province and Brussels the capital of Belgium)
Belgium that ministate between France and Spain (i wished it was but it is Andorra)
Only 2 of the many mistakes i've heard of Americans visiting Brussels So i'm not surpriced that they place a country on another continent.

Greetings

Johan

Another on from long gone when the Berlin wall still excisted: East berlin isn't it just north of Moscow ;)

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
maybe they said "DRC" democratic republic of congo :ermm: as far as the Americans slander, we only worry about "major" countries, not you small guys :laugh:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
When I was in 11th grade in public school in Florida, about half of the students could not point out Florida on a world map. Neither could they find the Atlantic Ocean, some of them actually pointing to continents instead of bodies of water. Guess they had never looked closely at a map or a globe before.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
When I was in 11th grade in public school in Florida, about half of the students could not point out Florida on a world map. Neither could they find the Atlantic Ocean, some of them actually pointing to continents instead of bodies of water. Guess they had never looked closely at a map or a globe before.

Don't they teach geography anymore? We knew about the rest of the world in grade school.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
The Kid posted this before during his second reincarnation:

A co-worker kept turning one of those table globes searching for Antartica.

Same co-worker once quipped, "Argentina? Argentina is in Australia!"

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
... Ukraine - a lot of them don't even know where it is. They never heard the name of the country before :tired:
They're still thinking USSR. It may end up as part of Russia since Mr. Putin's goal is to put "Humpty Dumpty" back together.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
The US seems to be particularly bad in the geography department. As conchman mentioned about pointing their whereabouts on an unmarked map, there was a study and many people wouldnt come close. But it's not unique to the USA, there are just lots of people who don't really care about the rest of the world. I have met a lot of North Americans who think that the DR is on the mainland or in south america. I have met dominicans and uruguayans that think canada is part of the USA, others who think Uruguay is in Africa, or if not part of Argentina. But I have to say that you're average Urugauyan tends to have a better grasp on geography than your north american, probably because at some point they plan on leaving the country, or know people in other places, whereas N. americans are content with where they are and have no plan on seeing the rest of the world.

The trouble I have with this lack of knowledge in the US is the support of their foreign policy, when a pile of people don't even know anything about these other countries where there is US involvement, yet they support the govt. 100%.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
...The trouble I have with this lack of knowledge in the US is the support of their foreign policy, when a pile of people don't even know anything about these other countries where there is US involvement, yet they support the govt. 100%.
Also known as the "Mushroom Policy" .... BTW, nice choice of word.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Urban legends?

GW Bush to Brazilian president: "Do you have blacks in Brazil, too"

VP Dan Quayle, after returning from a tour of Latin America, lamented not having learned Latin in school in order to "converse better" with those folks.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Hmm, I wouldn't be surprise if those are true, coming from Bush, the person who once said "I hope that fish and the human being can coexist in peace", and Quayle who corrected a 1st grader with "Potato is spelled with an e, potatoe". haha.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Domnicans are guilty, too

Friend: "?Joseito, en que palte de Nuebayol tu bibe?"

The Kid: "No, yo no vivo en New York; yo vivo en Texas."

Friend: "Eso e' lo mimo, Joseito. To' eso peltenece a Nuebayol."

Status
Not open for further replies.