VW Beetle

pixelsketch

Mar 1, 2007
Looking for an old style VW beetle for sale. Not too worried if it needs work, but obviously would prefer if it didn't. If anyone sees one, or even better has one for sale, can you let me know?

Thanks

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Try the website of santodomingovc.tripod.com
Something close to that. A VW club in SDQ. They call them Volkys here sometimes. They'll likely know of some folks to put you in touch with to buy one. It's called the Santo Domingo Volky Club.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Just Sayin'

that's the name of their club. there are many names for VW Beetles in many places in the world. Beetle, Bug, Volky, Fusca, whatever........................
The club in Miami is called the Palmetto Bug Club......very catchy. Mexico City is the bug capital of the world. Reminds me of the Ford Falcons in Argentina. They are everywhere. You can find parts for VW's in Mexico, like Yamahas or Honda 50s/70s/90s in the DR, or Falcons in Buenos Aires or Brazil. They are ubiguitous. I have a cherry '72 Fusca that i wouldn't sell for love or money. Too many memories. Who doesn't have great memories of a cool VW experience if you're 45 or over? No way.
Care to share you first VW experience?

pixelsketch

Mar 1, 2007
Bugs / cepillos

I live in Alberta and have had a ton of them. First one I bought for $300 and had to convert into a Baja since half the pieces had already been cut off. I absolutely loved it to death, I have one here that is in the process of being restored. Anyway, my family and I are moving to the SSamana peninsula in October, and I am anxiously trying to find a beetle before we arrive. I like the idea of being able to fix anything on it on my own, since I've had them completely disassembled in the past.

How do I get ahold of this 'Avelino Abreu'? Also, I tried to contact the VW club in Santo Domingo via their website, but theirs no phone number or valid email.

Also, does anyone know how easy it is to find parts for bugs in the DR? I would also like to raise it a little to help avoid some of the bigger potholes in the country.

PS - Im not over 45... I'm actually 28. I think people of any age can love their bug : )

Sep 20, 2003
Trujillo bought fleets of VW beetles for the SIM to drive. There should be, at the very least, several hundred vintage SIM beetles in the Dominican Republic.

pixelsketch

Mar 1, 2007
:squareeye For sure, there must be tonnes, I was just hoping to find one before we arrive, Oh well, if anyone happems to see one with "Se Vende" spraypainted on the side, maybe jot down the number and let me know if its not too much trouble : )

Thanks guys!

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
You can pick up a cepillo for next to nothing here, because, aside from a small group of enthusiasts, no one wants them. They are generally considered uncool cajitas de fosforo.

They are called cepillos because the SIM used them to sweep the streets clean of unwanted dissidents and criminals. At least that is what I was always told.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Leonel used to drive one in his younger days, according to Mr C who knew him way back when.
And apropos of nothing, a former boss claimed she used to date him - "I could have been first lady". :rolleyes:

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
A friend of mine taught me the word cepillo but she also called them another word. When I asked her a couple of days later what the other word was she couldn't remember. Does anyone know?

What's a SIM?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
A friend of mine taught me the word cepillo but she also called them another word. When I asked her a couple of days later what the other word was she couldn't remember. Does anyone know?

What's a SIM?

During my younger years it was my favorite automobile. My last cepillo was green metallic color, with a souped up motor (1700 cc) and mag racing wheels. I've owned four VW beetles in my lifetime. The word you are looking for is probably 'escarabajo' for 'beetle'. And SIM stands for Servicio de Inteligencia Militar (military intelligence service), which was the goon squad created by El Jefe to terrorize the population, popularly called 'calieses'. The term 'cali?' is still used in the DR as a general term for a spy, snitch, or similar fauna.