We are thinking of building a fish pond in our back yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Buenas Tardes Amigos
We are considering building a water garden in our backyard so we can have the sound of running water and attract local wild life. Location of this project is Santiago, my back yard. We are thinking of above ware garden since we have a 2 year old girl that is pretty active. We have a space about 20feet long and 4 wide that might be just right for such a project. I like to make this thread a about ponds and water gardening in DR. Hopefully this with all your help cna be done so we can inaugurate it with a nice BBQ in Albin''s remodel backyard.
Ill take some pictures of the proposed site for you guys cna give a better informed opinion on the matter.

Looking to keep A mix of fish all that can live in a community
some local water plants
Lilis
nice water fall for the running water affect
lights so we can enjoy at night
Filtration we are looking into some filter that Robert acuario has to offer.
It will receive plenty sun light so this will not be an issue and the plant will create shade and protection from predator to the fish. if any one has experience ill like to put a window in the front so we can see the fishes.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
This might also be a good place to put a bench in my small back yard under my lechosa and naranja plats so i can smoke a nice local cigar. I am getting excited about this idea.

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
I know somebody who has a pond thing in their back garden and the amount of mosquitos that are around it is terrible. It sounds lovely but I wouldn't have thought that standing water is a good thing. Maybe others will know more.

kent

Jan 5, 2005
We have had one in our back yard for more then 20 years. At first there were many frogs, but then we put in gold fish. They keep the pond clean of frogs,but alge is a problem. It has to be clean once a month
Kent

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
We have had one in our back yard for more then 20 years. At first there were many frogs, but then we put in gold fish. They keep the pond clean of frogs,but alge is a problem. It has to be clean once a month
Kent

Kent nice to see that some one share our views. Do you have any filtration system in place?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Albin, I can bring you a couple of books from Home Depot or Lowes on garden ponds when I come down.

I had a fairly large one (free-form, about 12' x 6' across), 3' deep in FL. With a proper filtration and water circulation system, they can be very easy to maintain for fish (I had koi) and waterplants.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Some little tricks I learned over the years: I put natural charcoal in my storage water tanks and it keeps the mosquitoes away from the water, also I saw somewhere that limoncillo (citronella plants) also keep them away, so keep that in mind when building your pond. Maybe plant some around it and charcoal is used in fish tanks filters so why not! ;)

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Tropical fish (bettas, angel fish, gouramis, swordfish and so on)love to eat mosquitoes larvaes.
Water snails will keep the algae in check.
Make sure you have an overflow for the heavy downpours otherwise you fish will get out and die on the lawn.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Unless It Is a Salt Water Pond, Those "FISH" May Not Survive Very Long!!

Thought about the electric bill?
I have several beautiful "ponds" in my yard.
Every time it rains!
Sounds like you have made up you mind in advance.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

tsg

Mar 25, 2007
A nylon mesh just under the surface will protect fish from bird attacks and if it is strong enough your daughter from drowning. They sell mesh for these purposes in garden centers where I come from in a dark "invisible" color. Maybe you can find something similar.

As long as you keep fish in the pond, the mosquitos won't stand a chance.

Good luck on the project!

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
JDJONES thnaks for the link.
Cobraboy gracais. let me know when your plan on coming down. I have some experience with ponds had a pond in my backyard in Phoenix, pero el weather is totally different we got very little rain in AZ in contrast to Santiago. What you guys thing considering my 2yearold girl should we do in ground or above ground.If we do it above ground we plan on having 4 lines of blocks high. We have the space for either project. Mosquito would not be a problem. The most important thing is building an ecosystem so that everythign is kept control. I like those suggestions of the vetas, guramies, angle fish....they would look cool. Limonsillo plant is in my list gracias.
Birds eat the fish well I guess if we provide the fish some place to hide they might be okay. Ill look into the mesh to protect the fish and Mia Karina.
Ill take a picture of the back yard so we can all decided where to place it. My wife is letting me pick(for once) so this is a first. The boss said as long as I get professional help for the cement work she has no problem.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
planing on using the crew that help me built our sisterna. So far I have decieded that it would be best if done out of concrete and ahve a plumer od the overflow and automatic tap so the leavel is alway maintnained. I have done reeftanks in the past and currenlty working on a new one. So will tration I guess that will be my contribution to this project. I plan on using planta gravel and water circulation along with the livestock to help keep the ph balance of this pond. Maybe also put in a biofilter with lots of bioballs so that bacteria can help with the toxins in the water.
My plan is to make this happen with under 30k pesos. hopefully i wont go over so the my wife those done get a fit.

ONe of my ponds

10 minutes ago

68i7ate.jpg

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Best " Back to the Future" post ever.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.