Dominican Banks

What Dominican bank do you do business with and/or trust? (Read OP prior to voting)

• BanReservas

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Banco Popular

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • Banco del Progreso

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Banco Le?n

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Banco Caribe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Banco BHD

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Banco Vimenca

• Banco Santa Cruz

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Banco Lopez de Haro

• Other commercial banks

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
What Dominican bank do most of your banking business with and/or trust?

Notice:

1. Due to constraints in the number of responses, only nine banks are listed by name and all other banks fall in the category of "other".

2. The choices are limited only to commercial banks. The "other" option only pertains to other commercial banks not listed in the poll.

The following categories of financial institutions are excluded from this poll in its entirety:

Development banks, credit corporations, savings and credit banks, mortgage (ie. hipotecarios) banks, associations of savings and credit, small loans institutions, currency exchange banks/institutions, etc.

Here are the options:

A) BanReservas
B) Banco Popular
C) Banco del Progreso
D) Banco Le?n
E) Banco Caribe
F) Banco BHD
G) Banco Vimenca
H) Banco Santa Cruz
I) Banco Lopez de Haro
J) Other institution(s)

-NALs

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Banco Popular. If our account manager moved to another bank, so would we.

In the DR, it's all about people and who you know, not so much the actual bank.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I hope this thread gets a ton of responses, anecdotes and +- feedback. Banking is critical to business success.

JOKL

Oct 30, 2006
Bankreservas...state owned. the rest are just a private club to borrow monies for themselves.All private dominican bank own some extra business, real estate, communications, radios, tv station, etc. Ej Bank leon belong to the family that owns cerveceria, if this place need monies for something, do you think that they will evaluate very accurate the merit for a loan??! not, Baninter had newspaper "intereses", and radio too, Universal used to sell BMW,s , like many others dominican bank before and after them they finaces their own business/proyects .
that Why you don,t get a loan for certain proyect.. because that bank or shareholder have -intereses- there and thay had used the monies for them.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Bankreservas...state owned. the rest are just a private club to borrow monies for themselves.All private dominican bank own some extra business, real estate, communications, radios, tv station, etc. Ej Bank leon belong to the family that owns cerveceria, if this place need monies for something, do you think that they will evaluate very accurate the merit for a loan??! not, Baninter had newspaper "intereses", and radio too, Universal used to sell BMW,s , like many others dominican bank before and after them they finaces their own business/proyects .
that Why you don,t get a loan for certain proyect.. because that bank or shareholder have -intereses- there and thay had used the monies for them.

New banking regulations prohibit banks from lending money to their shareholders.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominican "REGULATION",...??? "OXIMORON"????

:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
I fell Sooooooooo.. SECURE Knowing that there is a "REGULATION"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
banco popular for private accounts and scotia for business.

cobraboy wanted some funnies - it is amazing how lightly money transfer is treated here. the other day i saw the scene in banco popular in POP - two security guys with shot guns under their arms drag leather money bags on the pavement from the bank to the car - and not a small "safe on wheels" you'd see in europe, more guagua style car, albeit with no windows.

i imagine that all attempts at stealing money bags in DR ends with a major shooting....

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
In the DR, it's all about people and who you know, not so much the actual bank.

Absolutely. In past 15 years my bank used to be called Mercantil, then it became Republic now it is BHD - same building, different takeovers. The important thing is that the Manager, Maribel, has remained the same throughout as have most of the other staff and so I have remained a customer.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
cobraboy wanted some funnies - it is amazing how lightly money transfer is treated here. the other day i saw the scene in banco popular in POP - two security guys with shot guns under their arms drag leather money bags on the pavement from the bank to the car - and not a small "safe on wheels" you'd see in europe, more guagua style car, albeit with no windows.

i imagine that all attempts at stealing money bags in DR ends with a major shooting....
I'd like to see that. Hehehehe...