Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Queen's/Washington Heights

Can someone tell me how far Queen's is from Washington Heights? I have only been hearing of WH since I joined the forum. Is there a good Dominican restaurant there? Also (I ask this question all the time) where can I pick up some relatively reasonable spices while there,(besides an expensive grocery store. I need sazon con pimento. I picked some up while in the DR, but I can always use more.

Thanks

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Where are you traveling from in Queens? It makes a difference....Washington Heights is the neighborhood noth of Harlem and starts at 155 st and ends at Fort Tryon Park.Again depending on waht part of Queens you are traveling A AND from.....you can the 1 ,9, A and C train.To give you a better idea if you are at Rego Park then 45-55 minutes.

There are a ton of good restuarants on Broadway which names you might ie. Malecon, El Conde but my favorite is a Irsih Bar/rest at 168th and broadway called Coogans.

apostropheman

Talking

here's a map: Neighborhood Map
    Washington Heights is #16 and Queens is #25

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I will be travelling from Richmond Hill, that doesn't look so far.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You'l find many supermarkets along St. Nicholas Ave . (Ave. Duarte). Most of these have many of the things we use to cook with back home. As for restaurants, you'll find them up and down St. Nicholas & Broadway. A good one is "La Nueva Espana" on St. Nicholas & 173rd st.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

you do not need to go to WH

Queens has many dominican restaurants. Try Rancho Jubilee it's in queens they have a web site. look it up.

as far as the spices you can go to any Latino Supermarket. You can also try bodegas... many many many bodegeros are dominican just go in and ask for what you want.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay thanks, I will check in Queens first and see what I find.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bushwick

Quote Originally Posted by tarrantino View Post
    Thanks, I will be travelling from Richmond Hill, that doesn't look so far.
    From Richmond Hill you are about 15 minutes from Bushwick where you can go into just about any supermarket and get what you need.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default hiya

Since I happened to work in WH for over 9 years and am Dominican (for now) I can strongly recoment you take the #9 train to 191st st and Duarte Ave (used to be St. Nicholas ave.) Across the street from the train station is a great Dominican Restaurant with nooo loud music really the food is as good as mom's, but don't tell her I said that
    Don't try driving there as the parking situation is horrendous, trust me, last time I was there it took me 2 hous to find a spot and then walked 4 blocks in the snow..ughghg) Also the nypd loves that area for filling their quota for tickets.
    As for spices, just walk to any grocy store in that block and you'll find most of what u want. For more exotic spices go to the botanica between 187th and 186th St. Nick/Duarte Ave or if you're up to a stroll, go to 184th st and Audubon Ave, next ave after st. nick. There's another botanica there where u can even buy real presidentes.
    oops... i mean the ones allowed of course... even a red rock soft drink or plaintain leve to make pasteles.
    Please avoid the area bet 167th to 155th st.. trust me on this one.
    And if you're into nice places, do visit the cloisters museum and walk round the gardens. It's really gorgeous if you're into architecture and history. At night the gardens are a sort of lovers lane so watch your step!!!
    lol
    have fun
    Amber

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Right here in Queens go to the Corona area. There is a Dominican presence there. Go to any bodega and you will find the spices you are looking for. On 100-02 Northern Blvd. you will find Caridad restaurant. Good Dominican cuisine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast