Walmart buying La Sirena (Strong Rumor)

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Interesting, Robert... I am curious to know more about it... Make sure to keep us posted !

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Thats good news location-wise for us in SD at least. I was already picturing the morons would build their mega-store in the most outer suburbs past Aroho Hondo.

dottie123

Jun 6, 2007
Rumors are important:

Jeez Robert,
I thought you didn't allow people to post rumors on the message boards.....

I do not know about the DR1 policy but we all like to hear and yes even spread a rumor. Especially if, as in this case, it is a rumor that will not harm anything or anyone. Wonder what the prices will be like? I hope someone will keep us all posted on this rumor. If it is true it will be good news to many of us who like have all that merchandise available & all in one location like the USA and other countries. I must confess that I am one of those PENSIONERS HOPING FOR INCENTIVES. My mate and I believe that the Dominican Republic has much to offer us. Our Real Estate agent here calls it PARADISE. We do hope it is. We have read many post that are disturbing. We want to retire here. So even just to only hear the B]RUMOR[/B] about WALMART helps us to believe that this retirement dream just may come true. I know that is silly to find hope for our future from a RUMORbut we all need to dream. Also, I read here on DR1 about two months ago that IKEA & PIER 1 were coming to the DR. Anyone know more on that rumor? "Thank you"

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
That's true! please no stupid rumors.
Walmart may come but will never buy La Sirena.
By the way why This stores are called la Sirena?

incredible

Jul 9, 2006
Thats good news location-wise for us in SD at least. I was already picturing the morons would build their mega-store in the most outer suburbs past Aroho Hondo.

If the Walmart (Walton) company is a bunch of morons what does that make you? :)

Feb 7, 2007
As mentioned in previos post, we have heard rumors about IKEA. Anyone has more info or further rumors on IKEA? I'm keen to know...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
As mentioned in previos post, we have heard rumors about IKEA. Anyone has more info or further rumors on IKEA? I'm keen to know...

The lot is being leveled right now, so hard to tell what's going on it.
It's a huge lot, with plenty of space for a typical Ikea store.

We hear from a good source that it's true, time will tell.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I for one think that IKEA's style does not appeal to the Dominican taste.
Their managers are much too clever to invest in a market trap... ;)

m'frog

I think an Ikea store would do very well here.

Look at how many contemporary furniture stores are popping up all over the place in Santo Domingo. Combine that with the crazy amount of new construction in the affluent part of SD and they might just make a few sales.

DR_Lost

Apr 30, 2007
Ikea...

Ikea would fluorish here. Just imagine the possibilities. A box of sugar cane stalks with an allen key sold under so many guises: Dominican ladder, porch swing, in-law house, septic system, etc. The list goes on and on!

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
If the Walmart (Walton) company is a bunch of morons what does that make you? :)

I just lost $320 in fees to Banco Popular so I am a Ueber-moron :)

Seriously tho, Wallmart will do fine here, but as all US businesses opening overseas, they only do well if they take certain aspects in account. Thinking of what I saw sometimes in Europe, Wallmart in boonies, Best Western on the Autobahn, Drive-through bank abandoned since 1982. Somethings don't work well but they should know by now.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Walmart = Paradise?

My mate and I believe that the Dominican Republic has much to offer us. Our Real Estate agent here calls it PARADISE. We do hope it is. We have read many post that are disturbing. We want to retire here. So even just to only hear the B]RUMOR[/B] about WALMART helps us to believe that this retirement dream just may come true. I know that is silly to find hope for our future from a RUMORbut we all need to dream.
No, what's silly is finding hope for your future from Walmart.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
The lot is being leveled right now, so hard to tell what's going on it.
It's a huge lot, with plenty of space for a typical Ikea store.

We hear from a good source that it's true, time will tell.
Long ago Chiri and I decided that we would sleep with whoever it took to get an Ikea here.

I, for one, am glad that I didn't have to sleep with some crazy Scandinavian. ;)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
As I said, you will never see me post rumors unless they are from a VERY good source :)

So... Did you here Diario Libre are buying DR1 for US$7.4 million?

Last edited: