Two important questions

F.D.C.

Jun 25, 2007
Hello,
I’m from Europe. I’m living in Puerto Plata, now. I have two important questions:

1. :surprisedWhat does mean “gringo boludo”? Several people call me sometimes “gringo boludo”. Why? For example, after giving some tips to the shoe shiners, these chidren call me “gringo boludo”.

2. :paranoid:I listened that in DR there are a lot of Haitians people. Several days ago, I spoke with a Haitian and I couldn’t to appreciate the differences between both Dominicans and Haitians people. Somebody can say me how can I to recognize each one?

Thanks a lot.

F.D.C.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Gringo is slang for american or foreigner. Boludo is Rio Platense (Uruguay-Argentina) slang for idiot, basically they are calling you an idiot foreigner. although I don't know why they would call you a boludo.

2. Hatians speak creole, it doesn't sound like spanish, that is your best bet telling them apart, dark skin is a traight, but you don't want to go there and make an assumption based on skin colour.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
How big of a tip did you give the shoeshine boys? If it was too small, they were mad. Probably more likely that you tipped them well above the going rate, and they were just calling you stupid for paying so much.

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
2. :paranoid:I listened that in DR there are a lot of Haitians people. Several days ago, I spoke with a Haitian and I couldn?t to appreciate the differences between both Dominicans and Haitians people. Somebody can say me how can I to recognize each one?

Thanks a lot.

F.D.C.[/quote]

Sometimes you can tell if they are Haitian by the way they dress...bright colors....shirt pulled up and tied around the waist. Also, you could ask them to say perejil colorado. If they don't even try.....their Haitian. :bunny::bunny::bunny:

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
FDC you are being led ASTRAY!!!

There are no more "Haitians" and "Dominicans". Now all people here are just called "Hispaniolans". Just as YOU used to be French, or Italian, or wahtever, now you are "European". Same thing here.

And will somebody please tell Robert to now start calling this place "Hispaniola1" too??

And by the way, F.D.C. - those poor kids were complementing you on not being so callous. Keep on doing wehatever you have been doing. it's helping OK?

Feb 7, 2007
Gringo is slang for american or foreigner. Boludo is Rio Platense (Uruguay-Argentina) slang for idiot, basically they are calling you an idiot foreigner. although I don't know why they would call you a boludo.

I am just wondering how those little kids would now the word "boludo".

Dominicans don't use it (instead of Que Boludo!(sos) they say Que Imbecil) and not many of them know what the work boludo means. Also, not many Argentinos/Uruguayos visit the North coast, so I am really wondering how they got to know the phrase.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
I hope someday you'll join us...

And by the way, F.D.C. - those poor kids were complementing you on not being so callous. Keep on doing wehatever you have been doing. it's helping OK?
Yo GC, glad to see you're learning...:bunny: :bunny::bunny: :bunny::bunny::bunny: :bunny: :bunny::bunny: :bunny:

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
They could have been saying "gringo peludo", hairy gringo.

Do you have a lot of hair on your head, body or face?

:cheeky:

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
If you wnat to get a better repensentation of local people get to Snatiago, Capitla, San Francisco ect.any relative big city will have people from all over the reagion so you can experince the difference between Dominicanos y Haitianos. Pero somos todos Quisqueyanos. Welcmoe to Quisqueya la bella tierra de las mujer mas exoticas del caribe. good look con los limpiabotas.