Current events in santiago

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
For santiago lovers, here is an update to you all:

Be very careful when coming into santiago. Police and military have check points set-up all over santiago, coming in and going out. They are stopping cars and checking papers, checking to see if you have your metricula and revista stickers. Some places the drivers are required to take alcohol Breathalyzer test. People are getting tickets left and right. Make sure you are not carrying illegal fire arms. These guys are blocking streets and even autopista duarte coming into santiago and checking cars. The military is heavily armed with machine guns.

Monumento is still closed to cars and I see some construction going on. From a distance away, I see pile of dirt and heavy digging. This doesn't keep the tigres from partying below at the entrance of the monumento. They blast music and drink right on the streets. I wouldn't go there at night.

Now there is something interesting going on there at the moment. At the bottom of the monumento's (entrance) we have theatro cibao and there on the outside fence we have a picture exhibition as always (free). This time they have huge stunning pictures of rio yaque (river yaque). This is what I think it is from a distance. I would have to take time out to see them all. Its just too damn hot in the afternoon to go there, so I will go there in late afternoon.

The only bar that is still a happening place is Ahi bar. This is the only place in santiago where the fun never ends. The best nights are from friday to sunday. Sunday is the best night.

The yogurt ice cream is splash. Go to selected splash ice cream stores with the yogurt ice cream machines and have a fruit (of your choice) ice cream. Yummy, yummy. It's very addictive. I like the store on the second floor of plaza internacional. the fat girl there makes the best fruit yorgut ice cream. she puts in a lot of fruits. the small size is big enough to satisfy a normal sized customer.

AZB

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
"Be very careful when coming into santiago. Police and military have check points set-up all over santiago, coming in and going out. They are stopping cars and checking papers, checking to see if you have your metricula and revista stickers. Some places the drivers are required to take alcohol Breathalyzer test. People are getting tickets left and right. Make sure you are not carrying illegal fire arms. These guys are blocking streets and even autopista duarte coming into santiago and checking cars. The military is heavily armed with machine guns. "

Is this an everyday thing or just a blitz? I am curious because I am supposed to be meeting up with my GF, and I'm not sure wether she has all the paper work for her car sorted out. Thanks.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks AZB - I was just there on Monday - in and out in one day. Didn't see any problems but maybe I am just lucky. See you Sunday.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Nice report as always buddy, I LOVE!!! Sundays at Ahibar. Plus I like to add, the spot across the street (Mistic) is always fun to go.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
AZB your advice is very helpful. Thanks for all the great info it will really make all the difference when I arrive. Keep up the good work!!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
AZB your advice is very helpful. Thanks for all the great info it will really make all the difference when I arrive. Keep up the good work!!

The checkpoints may be nationwide. Last Sunday I was stopped on the road between Vallejuelo and San Juan de la Maguana, at the regular military outpost in La Culata, except this time it was manned by a heavily armed outfit with J-2 written all over their fancy flak jackets and caps. They were very professional and serious, and frisked me and my two passengers. They didn't ask for papers, however they went through my SUV and belongings as with a fine-toothed comb. Further down the road, towards Azua, about 100 meters beyond the bridge crossing the Ocoa river, I was stopped by what looked like AMET, however, on closer inspection, it was a lone local traffic cop. I told him outright that I was flat broke, that I was returning from a visit to my relatives, who had cleaned me out of my last peso. However, I offered to exchange my hat for his cap. He laughed heartedly. I offered to make it up to him on my return trip, even asked him what he wanted. I don't remember the last time I was stopped by authority whatsoever. Maybe my luck is running out.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks Mirador, that is a little closer to what I was looking for. It seems like it's a blitz, as there is a report in the DR1 news. Anyhow, my GF is a very good looking woman, I don't think the police would harrass her anyhow.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
In Santiago is happening in all exitis going to Puerto plata via Carretera J. Balaguer. they do have does checks a couple of night a week. nothing last night but I hear tonight will be active from the local police department and military. Ussually the weekend is AMET time in that exit, enfrente a Antonio Ochoa dealer.
for those outside Santiago that will like to see the pictures of fRio Yaque
?El Yaque debe Vivir! Exposici?n Fotogr?fica

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Serious construction at the monumento. Its closed for traffic and earth dug up everywhere. Here is a picture I took from my cell phone camera while passing through there this morning.

5xonwjo.jpg

AZB

Jan 5, 2006
Aren't they having an event there this weekend sponsored by Presidente? Maybe the piles of sand are related to that, as they were talking about "bringing the beach to Santiago".

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And planted new trees. This is being done by Mamoru Matsunaga who did the Japanese Garden at the Jardin Bot?nico. It should be pretty when finished.
There are thirty trees planted around the base of the monument to represent the 30 Caballeros of history....

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com