Colgate toohpaste in DR is not up to ADA

Tee Bone

Jun 16, 2007
With the big scandal about colgate toothpaste, having the American Dental Association stamp of approval on the box of any retail purchase, in many countries. I must now ask this.

What other pharmacutical products such as precription drugs are not genuine.

I am being offered many knock off or similar sounding variations of a much needed prescription drug.

Any Experiences,

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What other pharmacutical products such as precription drugs are not genuine.

I am being offered many knock off or similar sounding variations of a much needed prescription drug.

Any Experiences,

Tee Bone, can you be more specific? There are lots of medications sold here under a different name than in the US, and there are drugs sold here from England, Germany, Japan, etc. that are not sold in the US, or are not yet available in the US.

If somebody is stopping you on the street, leading you to some secluded spot, and secretly offering you a medication, I think you should turn him down. But if the medication is prescribed by a doctor here and sold to you by a pharmacy, I think you should assume it is ok.

Out of curiosity, I do a google search for medications that I am prescribed but haven't heard of. I almost always get a lot of hits, but not always from US sources, meaning the med isn't yet available there. I also get his telling me the med goes by a different name in the US. For example, my wife uses Flixonase, a med sold in the US as Flonase at a higher price than Flixonase sells for here.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
As long as it's not counterfeit, Colgate toothpaste in the DR is ADA certified. haha, coincidentally ada is the spanish word for "fairy", it's like it's certified by the tooth fairy!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
As long as it's not counterfeit, Colgate toothpaste in the DR is ADA certified. haha, coincidentally ada is the spanish word for "fairy", it's like it's certified by the tooth fairy!

Uruguayo, you're going to have to ask your fairy godmother (hada madrina) to give you a spell (no pun intended ;) )

By the way, I would doubt ADA (American Dental Association) would certify the tap water used in the DR to brush your teeth with.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Hahah, my coffee hasn't started working yet. Thanks for the correction, anyhow phonetically they are pronounced the same. As for the tap water, it has no fluoride, which is the qualifying ingredient to get ADA certification, so, maybe, but I don't think ADA certifies water.

But on the bright side, using that tap water to brush your teeth, should help you build up a healthy amount of antibodies.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Hahah, my coffee hasn't started working yet. Thanks for the correction, anyhow phonetically they are pronounced the same. As for the tap water, it has no fluoride, which is the qualifying ingredient to get ADA certification, so, maybe, but I don't think ADA certifies water.

But on the bright side, using that tap water to brush your teeth, should help you build up a healthy amount of antibodies.

While a level of exposure (attack) to microbial and viral pathogens do indeed help maintain a healthy amount of antibodies, certain common substances found in tap water, such as synthetic organopesticides, heavy metals, and many other residues and contaminants, including fluoride damage the human and animal immune system.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
True, but is simple exposure from rinsing your mouth going to do much? It's not like you are ingesting the water. Although I'll admit, out of habit of drinking canadian and uruguayan tap water, I did swallow some DR tap water here and there - and to my surprise I didn't get sick!

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
If it is a genuine colgate product, then they should use the same formula as they do in the US, check if it contains fluoride - if it does, it should be ok. Maybe it coming from Guatemala means that it doesn't require the ADA seal, after all, ADA means American Dental Association. But if it is of concern to you, check for the ADA seal on the next tube you buy, it shouldn't be hard to find.

Tee Bone

Jun 16, 2007
I can't answer your question about counterfeit pharmaceuticals but I would like to ask you about the scandal that you mentioned. Can you give us more details? Have you read somewhere that the Colgate toothpaste in the DR is not genuine?

Colgate toothpaste in the DR is not genuine. On the tube I am reading that colgate-palmolive has licenses in many caribbean and south american countries.

It is still not up to ADA standards . I am a diabetic and colgate total is what is recomended for potential gum disease that a diabetic can have.

The scandal was about ......the others have answered that

Thanks

I am just wondering if there are any versions of metformin that are counterfeit as I have now purchased 3 different variations

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
.... I am a diabetic and colgate total is what is recomended for potential gum disease that a diabetic can have. ...

Did you know that Colgate Total includes aspartame as an ingredient? Aspartame is an artificial sweetener, commonly sold under the brandname Neutra-Sweet, and is found in diet sodas and other beverages, including foods. Did you know that there's literature which associates the use of aspartame with pancreatic disorders leading to diabetes?

In today's FOXNews there's a story titled:

Aspartame Linked to Three Types of Cancer

Tee Bone

Jun 16, 2007
Did you know that Colgate Total includes aspartame as an ingredient? Aspartame is an artificial sweetener, commonly sold under the brandname Neutra-Sweet, and is found in diet sodas and other beverages, including foods. Did you know that there's literature which associates the use of aspartame with pancreatic disorders leading to diabetes?

In today's FOXNews there's a story titled:

Aspartame Linked to Three Types of Cancer

Mirador is correct , maybe not about the ingrdients for colgate. But for the overall effects of such artificial sweeteners.

The study followed a group of 4,000 rats who were given low daily doses of aspartame (comparable to what a dedicated human diet soda drinker might consume) beginning during "prenatal" life, according to a report in the Consumerist.com. The rats were dissected after natural death and the effects of the aspartame calculated.

If the rats knew this would they still wear condoms?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
ADA is an association of dental health practitioners, and you cannot expect that their seal of approval cover possible toxic effects of dental ingredients to other organs or the general health. For all ADA cares, a person could die, but with a good set of teeth. Did you know that cellosolve (a trademark owned by Colgate - Palmolive) is a synonym for diethylene glycol? Well, now you know. Check your cosmetics and medicine cabinet, and you'll be surprised how many products contains this stuff.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
ADA is an association of dental health practitioners, and you cannot expect that their seal of approval cover possible toxic effects of dental ingredients to other organs or the general health.

Why are you such an Anti-Dentite?

tambo'

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I'm reading a tube of Colgate Total and the listed ingredients are:
fluoro de sodio
triclosano
agua
sorbitol
silica hidratada
laurilsulfato de sodio
copolimero PVM/MA
sabor
carragenina
hidroxido de sodio
dioxido de titanio (Cl 77891)
fluoruro de sodio
triclosano
sacarina sodica

Which ingredient is aspartame?

Titanium dioxide????? That toothpaste really has TiO2 in it???? Aw jeez

Titanium Dioxide Classified as Possibly Carcinogenic to Humans

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
What a bunch of worry-warts you are!

Titanium dioxide makes your Colgate toothpaste white. You wouldn't buy it or use it if it was yellow or light brown, as it is WITHOUT the titanium dioxide, would you?

The sweeteners in the list of ingredients that newuser posted are "sorbitol"? and "sacarina sodio" (sodium saccharin). Sorry, no aspartame.

Colgate is made in the DR. Has no one seen their huge plant, or wondered why Colgate seems to be about the only toothpaste that you can buy in a colmado or a supermarket?

Also, why in the heck would they bother asking a bunch of dentists in the US for their stamp of approval in the DR - nobody cares! The ADA is the "AMERICAN" Dental Association. That stamp is strictly a MARKETING TOOL for their targeted American market. Until the 70's , only Crest had this "magical" stamp of approval.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
GC, I know what TiO2 is, and know it's usually used as a colorant -- in paint, primarily. Just didn't know it was in toothpaste.

And sorry, but I put more faith in the International Agency on Cancer Research (IARC) than your assurances, so I will retain my reservations about the use of TiO2 in toothpaste.

BTW, I have seen/used non-white toothpaste -- as a matter of fact, more of it is on the store shelves every day.

Hmm, wonder what I would find if I read the label of Tom's of Maine's toothpaste?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Keith I think one runs much higher risks from the fluoride (both in the toothpaste and in the water in the US) than one does with titanium dioxide.

TeeBone, if you are diabetic, then look for toothpaste made with "neem" as it will do a much better job of keeping your mouth out of trouble, and will also help you in creation of more saliva, which is the specific problem of diabetics and their oral health.

one example: Neem Toothpaste | Dabur Herbal Toothpaste | Buy 2 Tubes Get 1 Free | Mehndi Skin Art

Good luck.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
GC, probably so, probably so. FDA currently lists it as safe to ingest, and NIOSH does not yet qualify it as a carcinogen. However, take it from someone has written alot about health and environment issues for 26 yrs, including the regulation of foodstuffs, beverages, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals and chemicals, the classification as carcinogen by US and Canadian authorities usually lags IARC monographs by several years. But usually it follows for sure -- usually more a question of when.