Instant Message sankification????

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
This may not be the right place for this question, but I didn't know where else to put it.
Please forgive my ignorance. Can people find out how to instant message you through this site?
The last couple of days I have had 3 Spanish speaking males from the DR contact me through my instant messenger. I didn?t think someone could contact you unless they already knew your email address, so I assumed they were friends (it just lists there email address, not names) so I allowed them to be added to my contacts. Yesterday, one of them started IM-ing in Spanish. I was trying to find out how I knew this person, but my Spanish is terrible--and his spelling is worse. I kept asking if he knew friends of mine?thinking that would help?but it didn?t.
Today someone else IM-ed me and he had a picture?and I KNOW I don?t know him. In fact?he was young?like college age (I feel so dirty!:eek:). I told him I was ?very old? (comparatively, anyway?I?m 30-something) and asked how he found me and this was his response: ?ha po eres joben por ke yo no me concidero viejo.? I?m not even sure what that means (there is no youth, because I don?t consider old???).
At any rate, how ever these young men are contacting me, they obviously know I am interested in the DR. I read (or try to) the DR news on line and I am on this forum nearly every day. This is the only forum I have ever belonged to and I have never given personal information on this site. I have only given my email address to one person (and that was Lambada?I?m pretty sure she is safe ;). So how would they even know how to contact me--? I?m sure there is probably a logical explanation for this, but it?s kind of freaking me out.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
It does not have to be through this site. I have a friend who has no interest in anything Spanish, never joined any kind of forum and is married in addition but she got a couple of such messages on her cell. She did not reply and they stopped. Just ignore them or block their numbers. Any kind of reply from you is an opening for them. The only way to get rid of them is not to reply at all. Such things happend all the time.

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
thanks

Thanks. I had no idea. I've been IM-ing (with friends) for a couple of years now and have never had this happen. Now that I know they are strangers, I will just "block" them. I'd still like to know how they can instant message me. :ermm: Oh well--It's a bold new world, I guess.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
They didn't get your email from us and it's not possible via the message board as all emails are hidden.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Maybe somebody you know forgot to log off of their msn at a cyber cafe, and they copied your address for your friend's contact list. I've had that happen to me.

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
Thanks Robert

I didn't think anyone could reach me through this site, but it was the only thing I could think of that would be a DR link. The one yesterday said he was from Jarabacoa, and the other from Santo Domingo. I guess I am just naive, but I don't understand how someone could just contact me like that.
I'll just have to be more careful. Thanks.

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
ohhhhhhh!

That makes sense. I do have a couple of friends that talk to me from a cafe?. Thanks for the help in solving my own little "Nancy Drew Mystery". I was starting to feel a little paranoid! :paranoid:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
?ha po eres joben por ke yo no me concidero viejo.?
The only thing this means is that he's rather uneducated. :(

I get several requests a day from Skype, which must be based on my gender and location. They mostly come from men in Germany, Italy, Turkey and the Middle East, as well as the occasional UN peace-keeper in Haiti. What I don't understand is that I also have my year of birth in my profile, but it isn't enough to put them off. Or maybe they're so excited at the thought of a "Dominican" female that they forget to read the small print.

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
some people...

Funny. I don't think I have my age posted anywhere--other than when I say it outright here. They sure arent shy, either! They asked to see a picture right away. Enough of that they are blocked now and I won't accept anymore contacts unless I know who they are. Live and learn. giggle.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
People can find you and it's not through this board. I've been tagged and hi5-ed by people have have no clue where they got my info from. I just reply or add them if I don't already know them especially if they're like in their 20's and from a poor country. :rolleyes:

I wonder what they want :laugh:

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
Who knew?

When they asked to be added to my contacts list it only lists the email address. I didn't recognize the address, I just thought it was a friend who had changed email carriers/addresses and sent out a blanket message. I have never been contacted by a stranger before. I had no reason to expect otherwise. :ermm:

tlc32875

Apr 3, 2006
internet cafe

could have definatly been an internet cafe ..i was emailing home once from an internet cafe in cabarete once and i got an IM from a guy sitting next to me right there he had looked over my shoulder and just added me ...was crazy
just my input
tracy

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
In a hurry to get out in this beautiful weather

People can find you and it's not through this board. I've been tagged and hi5-ed by people have have no clue where they got my info from. I just reply or add them if I don't already know them especially if they're like in their 20's and from a poor country. :rolleyes:

I wonder what they want :laugh:

I meant to say " I just DON'T reply or add them" unless I know who it is.

Freudian slip ;)

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
ohhhh

That's what I will do from now on. I thought they had to know your email address in order to make contact--so I thought I did know them--just didn't recognize the address. I'm just a little naive about this "new fangled internet thingy":cheeky:.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
this always works for me, feel free to try it,,,,,,,,,,,,ask them for money, my "23der45" needs an operation.................when the nigerians ask for an address to send the cashiers check,,,,,,,,,,try 1600 pennsylvania ave, wash, D.C............

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
annac, you disappoint me.
i was just imagining a black-widow type of a lady adding some innocent poor dominicans to her messenger contacts for some perverted and illicit reasons.