digital camera 50% tax ?!?!?!

flo

Apr 11, 2006
i just ordered a REFURSBISHED cannon eos for 620 US.
it was shipped with fedex to santiago.
Im now beeing told that the tax i would have to pay is 9200 RD, which almost comes out to be a 50% .

I do not belive this is correct, specially with the Free trade agreement already active.

i have even called the costums in santo domingo and spoke to a lawyer there and he stated that there is no way this is the amount i need to pay, but there would be nothing he could do for me.

Any suggestions, im planning to go to santiago costums tomororw to fight them.

this is not about the money, its about the principe

thanks in advance for any help

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Keep your principles, but give up the money. Here's why:

1) Customs does not recognize (nor officially allow imports of) used and refurbished consumer goods. Generally this is enforced by charging taxes as if the item were new.

2) Customs evaluates goods based on their own database, the price you paid is irrelevant to them.

3) I seriously doubt your camera was made in the US, or any country the DR has a free trade agreement with.

4) If you refuse to pay, the customs official (or his boss) gets a nice new camera. Guess how bad he wants you to pay?

gini

Dec 12, 2005
And what about travelling with a laptop ? Or a medium digital camera ?

I did some search on the board but not found a clear answer

Maybe there is none...:ermm:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I have never heard of anyone having to pay taxes on a laptop camera they were bringing in for personal use.

If it's shrink-wrapped or in a retail box or there are several of them that might be another story.

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
Aduana does not care if it is refurbished or not. The book value (their books) prevails. You most likely have to pay ITBIS on a higher value. As MrMike said, you have no choice, pay or make a dominican happy with a new toy.

btw, you could have bought youtself a ticket for a vacation in the US and come back with the camera without a dime to pay. That's what I do when I need electronic.