Al Horford is No. 3 pick in NBA draft

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Puerto Plata-born, Al Horford of the Florida Alligators university team made history yesterday when he was the No. 3 pick in the NBA draft. He will play for the Atlanta Hawks. At 6'10 and weighing 245, he is consdiered an ideal NBA power forward.

Horford, won two NCAA championships for his Florida team. He will be the 9th Dominican ever picked in the NBA draft. His father, Tito Horford, was the third Dominican ever picked when he was selected in the second round of the 1988 draft.

See NBA.com: Al Horford Draft 2007 Profile and
Hawks get seasoned stars Horford, Law | ajc.com
Gator Men's Basketball News @ GatorZone.com

Last edited:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
and remember there is another son playing basketball in Michigan also. hopefully one day he will get his big chance in the NBA as well.

good luck to Al Horford !!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I thought it was noteworthy that when he was selected he was announced at "from the Dominican Republic and the University of Miami". Papa Tito was carrying the Dominican flag.

julius

Feb 27, 2007
I thought it was noteworthy that when he was selected he was announced at "from the Dominican Republic and the University of Miami".

He is no Cane. Miami is a terrible BBall school. He went to Florida with, two National championship teams in two major sports in the same year. Now, That's impressive.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
again i wish him the best especially since his dad only played 3 seasons in the NBA..

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah, congrats to Al and Tito are in order!!!

I was hoping the Hawks didn't screw up this pick. Horford is needed in Atlanta. He'll probably put up 20 pt/10 rebound games with regularity. He'll do well there and get the minutes needed to make an impact. He has the potential.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Sorry, what was I thinking. Of course he is a Gator! I had Miami on the brain because I was just looking at flights to the DR though MIA.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Bravo--every country needs sports (and medicine, the arts, etc.) heros. Let's not forget Felipe Lopez, ex-St. John's star, still playing pro basketball for the Albany (NY) Patroons. He also has a Foundation doing charitable work--another good citizen.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
My husband was sooo happy when he heard Al's name called!!! We almost cried at seeing Tito waving the Dominican Flag...

Good going, Al...Thanks for what's to come...great things I'm sure!!!!

Mrs. & Mr. MQ