Santiago building its tramway

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
30 taxi organizations have come out against the system
because they fear it will threaten their business.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

But not all Taxi drivers are against the system,
...some are Very Enthusiastic and willing to dive right in and help!

4v6v995.jpg

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Where tell me, can they build this and with what electricity will it run with. The roads that already here only a few of the mainstreet iare in driving condition, and in short distance, until Santiago has roads that one can drive, they should not start with something new. Who is the fool that came with this new idea, what in it for him? This in a town that half a block without pot hole is considered good roads. Solve that problem that exist, them when things are Excelent condition I can see them coming up with this tram. This picture shows what conditions most roads are in Santiago.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The roads that already here only a few of the mainstreet iare in driving condition

Yes, but!
. . . in a very short time we will have ALL NEW sidewalks and curbs in Santiago.

Dare we mention the driving conditions of the non-mainstreets?
Iraqi may have better ones, even with all the bombs.

I was assuming that the tram would be elevated, why I think that is because of the statement that it would reach speeds up to 70 kph, and the stops are supposed to be about every 267(?) meters. Or was that a mistake in the DR1 news on Friday or me reading it wrong? Might be a little neck jerking about every 1,000 feet at that speed.

PS: Most Dominicans you will see walking in the roadways, they don't seem to like sidewalks, at least in Santiago. Downtown and the beltway being exceptions perhaps.

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
What sidewalks, you are talking about those things that you have to find a pole to help to climb up. This city was build during horse and carriage days the sidewalks were intended for climbing unto saddle. Many of my older relatives do not come into the city. These so called side-walks are unlevel- with steps and driveway cutting into a almost impposible paths some business have tiles on the sidewalks, intead of building new curbs they should be investing on people frindly side-walks, streets. education for commutter traffic, pedestrian unfriendly town, crosswalk enforcement would be a good idea.

gringo1

Feb 23, 2007
Just as in North America, giant projects allow for giant skimming by officials, contractors, etc. That?s why a project that runs on electricty is pushed ahead even when there is very little electricty. Speaking of comparisons between Iraq and Santiago, recently on CNN it was reported that Bagdad had 6-8 hours of electric daily. Hmmmmm. Maybe they should build a tram in Bagdad!!

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
We are talking of people friendly cities, My visits into town turn into hopping and pulling days. Have a walk in the downtown business area. The cutters are running with sewage and that not only happens when it rains, many people home run their laundry-room waste unto the streets, in the Trinitarria, which is supposed to be a classy area. Behind Corominas you don't even have to search the same dondition occurs. Sanitation is one of those thing that make or brake a city. This condition is what makes Santiago a villege.