Living in the DR - dream or nightmare?!

Maija

Jun 10, 2007
The possibility of moving to the DR has been presented to me. Up until I began to read this forum, I was excited by the thought.
It sounded like a dream-come-true:
-my own "shack" on a farm/ranchero in the mountains/hills outside of Cabarete
-doing my own thing to earn a living (chickens and market gardening, perhaps)
-freedom from the fast-paced rat race
-peace and tranquility
-a Paso Fino horse! Ohhhhhhhh!!!

Be still my heart!

Imagine my horror as I read about: tarantulas; boa constrictors (stealing chickens and devouring small mammals); 10? venomous caterpillars; mosquitoes carrying malaria; dressing ?down? and driving with your windows ?up? to avoid being pick pocketed/mugged; guns and steel bars to protect your home; police as bad as criminals; always being wrong/at fault simply because you are white. And the list goes on?

Not exactly the stuff dreams are made of? unless you are Stephen King!

To be honest; all this has frightened me.

Although I grew up in Toronto, I?ve been living in a small town east of there for many years. Here you dress ?up? to go to town. The worst ?nastie? is a (most likely) malaria-free mosquito. Sure there is some degree of crime everywhere, but jeepers!

I?m not asking to be convinced to come? but I?m not looking to be told to stay home either. I would love to get some constructive and illuminating thoughts.

Please be gentle ? this is my first time posting! :nervous:

Peace,
Maija

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It seems that you have researched this idea and have put together some of your very own pros and cons. Why not stop there and go with your gut reaction and not be swayed either way by other people . What is good for other folks may not be good for you.

Good luck
JOHN

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Maija:

The main question is how will you support yourself? How will you set up your lifestyle? and also how familiar are you with the culture, landscape, people, language?

Welcome to the forums.

MG

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
Hi

Our experience on the whole has been positive. We moved here from England a year ago and have bought our own house.

We had an armed robbery at our house a couple of months ago but it is rare to get hurt unless you do not comply with the robbers demands. It was a bit traumatic but we got over it and still decided to stay. We have had tarantulas in our house but apparently they are not deadly and my husband managed to catch them easily. We also had a snake but I don't think they are venonous here and we caught it easily, it was quite cute really. There are mosquitos but I don't think this is a really bad area for malaria, dengue fever is more of a problem but I don't know too much about it. This is not meant to put you off but these are our worst experiences and we are still here!

On the plus side we have made some great friends (ex pats and Dominicans), it is wonderful to have good weather year round, and to walk our dogs on the beach in the early evening makes us realise why we live here.

I know a lot of expats who have had similar experiences to us and on the whole most of them are still here and think the good outweighs the bad.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Since it seems you have been "doing the research"......

....you should take the advice of many on this board who have told others in similar circumstances to come down and live (rent) for a little while ....then you can start to see if the environs are "good" for your particular situation.

I too would never advise someone just to come down and live without spending some time down here first. The DR is definitely GREAT for some people .....and definitely TERRIBLE for others.

Good Luck.

Maija

Jun 10, 2007
Thank you so much for responding.

John, consider this one of the ways I am gathering information. You?re right though, we each need to make our own decisions. I just prefer to make mine based on as much fact as I am able to gather, rather than gut feeling alone.

MG, thank you for the welcome! The knowledge I have so far is based on the research I have been doing for approximately eight months now; speaking to people who have been there; and from my best friend who bought the land, and has so wonderfully invited me to join the adventure of farming in the DR. So really, I know nothing from personal experience. I began a Spanish101-type program a little while ago in anticipation. ?Lifestyle? you asked.. man, I am just a country girl at heart, who has dreamed of a shack in the boonies for as long as I can remember!

Frankie, thank you for telling me of your experience! As I will be living in my ?shack? without a big brave guy to catch the tarantulas and snakes, it still concerns me, even IF the snakes are cute! No, I don?t believe the snakes are poisonous, or the tarantulas deadly, but still?.!!! Wow, armed robbery in your own home! I don?t imagine I?ll have much of anything to steal? then what?! :ermm:

Super advice, dms3611. Yes, I have seen that, time and again, while reading this forum. As I mentioned, I have not even been there for a visit yet. It?ll be some time before I am free to leave here anyway.. there?s plenty of time to visit once my Bud gets there. I suppose it?s very true that there is nothing like actually being there.. first-hand experience for knowing how it would be - for me ? personally.

Peace,
Maija

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
Ummmm....despite a few snakes, tarantulas etc., it's worth serious thought, as you so obviously are doing.

I spent 5 years one winter in Toronto. ;) For me, personally, I'd rather know every snake within 5 miles on a first-name basis than spend even one more winter WEEK up there.

But- that's just me and my tropics-loving blood...

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Some people would say that I can't post as I do not live in the DR, and my longest visit was just short of a month.

That said, I found it most enchanting. And experience has taught me that a locale so charming is rarely so charming when we must work and pay bills. Especially when you will never earn enough to duplicate anything near to the lifestyle you (or any first-worlder) have grown accustomed to.

The smart old-timers on the board will urge you to take long trips and check it out many times first.

Ditto.

At least - you were smart enough to ask for the cold water we're sending your way! :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) There are no poisonous snakes here
2) Tarantulas are great for cockroaches and mice and small rats.
And they are seldom seen, really. They usually appear when their nests are
being dug up during construction projects. Shamefully, I have killed a couple, but proudly, I have "moved a few" to better living spaces, also.

3) Mosquitos are a fact of life in any tropical setting. Get over it. Sleep with a mosquito net, wear socks, long sleeved shirts when working in the garden.
OFF and similar products work also, but you do get used to them and know when they are around. If you live in very swampy lands, risks are higher, as indeed they are if you live amongst Haitians, cane fields, or rice fields....

4) A single woman, off in the campo, with no close neighbors, is indeed a tasty target for the bad guys looking for easy pickings. I wish I could be a tad more encouraging, sorry. Your choices are a sturdy "shack" with adequate protection and a very suspicious attitude, backed by a pair of Malinois guard dogs which might be a feasible solution. Another one is a small shotgun and a propensity of shooting over the heads of anyone in the area. You'll get a "rep" as a nut, but most everyone will steer clear....

5) Actually, there might be a few spots where you could settle in your dream situation. However, you need to invest time and energy, establish a network of informants on possible sites, and over a year or so, make up your mind.

We need good people here, to balance the mix....

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We need good people here, to balance the mix....

HB
This is an interesting comment, Luis. Would you and the other long-termers care to expand on that thought?

What does the country need re: immigrants, and what does it NOT need? What kind of balance can be achieved?

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
We moved here in March, and I had never visited before although my better half has for many years. I had no idea of the language or culture, but the good folks of DR1 answered many questions before I moved and after also.
Haven't seen any snakes yet, people keep telling me spiders are my friends, but the night I found one sleeping on my side of the bed, I slept in the other room..... I am not big on relocating them yet.... I usually point.... loudly.
I am fascinated by the country and its people and beauty. I am appalled at some of the conditions... nothing can prepare you for the extremes that exist here. More and more I consider this home in my head.... it just works for me.
We are off to celebrate Canada Day tomorrow... and wish you well in whatever you decide and welcome to DR1

Maija

Jun 10, 2007
Well, thank you once again, Folks. I truly appreciate the opinions, information, and input.

Slrguy.. HA, very funny! You know, it?s a whole 12 F as I sit here tonight? the wee hours of Canada Day. But it?s not snowing!

Samanasuenos ? I?m not looking to duplicate any life, but to create a new one. Forgive me if I have no idea what ?cold water? you referred to.

HB, Sir ? No, I know the snakes aren?t poisonous ? but constrictors? I find the idea of 10? constrictors to be quite alarming - grabbing my cat .. hanging from trees? Moving big hairy spiders? Good gawd! You?ve not spoken of the caterpill ? oh wait: centipedes, I just remembered!

Haitians draw mosquitoes?! Too funny! The ones I have known in TCI didn?t seem to any more than I. Okay, I?ll drop the worry over the mosquitoes. Deal with them the same as I do here?

I just looked up the Malinois. I can?t help but wonder why you?ve singled it out when there are many dogs that are considered natural protectors. I?m afraid my sissy GoldenDoodle will be no help, but I?d certainly love to have a great big, scary dog. My Bud will be having 101 Great Danes around. Not so tough perhaps, but big enough to intimidate some/most.
Perhaps a topic for another time, but I?m left wondering what a ?sturdy shack? consists of.
As far as being totally alone? naw, I won?t be. My shack will be not so very far from the main house. Not sure how far the next ranch is, but I know it?s not far.
Okay, perhaps I could learn to be comfortable with a small shotgun. Shoot it over just everybody?s heads to make them aware of my ? ummm? crazyness? I won?t need to ?act? much. -sweet smile- From what I?ve read on here, shooting a Dominican is just not a good idea though, no matter what he may be doing to you.

As far as location ? it?s a done deal. Are they referred to as ?hills? or ?mountains? outside of Cabarete? You can ?just- catch glimpses of the deep blue sea in the distance from some locations on the land.

Thank you for assuming I?m one of the good guys!

A ?hillbilly? is just what I plan to be!

spicedwine ? thank you for the ?welcome?! I hope you have a wonderful Canada Day! I?m heading off to a big bar-b-que and fireworks tomorrow. Thank you for telling me your story. I?m soaking it all in, I?ll have you know! I am imagining there?d be plenty of critters in the boonies.

Peace,
Maija

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
I say 'Just go for it!.....'

I've been here 10 months and I both really like (never quite got to love!) and really hate the place depending on the day! I've been thinking of going back to the UK for months (largely for personal reasons) but now that decision time is looming.....I just don't know whether I want to leave....I've met some fantastic people here and made some 'lifelong' friends .....it is a real 'learning curve'......can't imagine settling back in the UK again......I am living on my own with my two small children at present and I get along just fine.....I've always found people here to be both friendly and helpful....

You sound like a country girl, yet you hate all the local 'wildlife'.....I think you're just gonna have to 'get over that' living in the tropics...you do get used to things in time....

A lot of 'security' issues are no different to those you'd employ at 'home' if you were a woman living alone. As you said, you won't be far from the main house, so you're not entirely alone.

I'd say 'go for it'....don't cut all your ties at home....just come out here and give it a try. Life is for living and if you venture nothing, you gain nothing....

The most important thing here is being able to provide for yourself....you need to be able to make a living somehow. I don't really think you'll know whether that's achievable with your chickens and your market gardening until you come here and 'give it a whirl'.....though best to have a fairly sizeable contingency fund while you're trying to get things off the ground.....

Whatever you decide, good luck! Whatever I eventually decide, I certainly do not regret coming here for one moment......

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
I just looked up the Malinois. I can?t help but wonder why you?ve singled it out when there are many dogs that are considered natural protectors. I?m afraid my sissy GoldenDoodle will be no help, but I?d certainly love to have a great big, scary dog. My Bud will be having 101 Great Danes around. Not so tough perhaps, but big enough to intimidate some/most.

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006

Sorry I completely mucked up the above post. I was trying to quote part of the post but I don't understand how to do it!

We have two Malinois dogs and I can understand why Hillbilly would recommend then. We got them from a trainer/breeder near Cabrera and they are excellent dogs. They have been trained to attack (which we have seen a demonstration of) and they are pretty ferocious looking, they are very protective of us and bark at anything and anyone passing by. However they are soppy enough to roll around on the floor with my 8 year old son pulling and poking them about and they are so gentle with him. They are great family dogs and are known to be very intelliegent.

williamo1

Jun 20, 2006
Most immigrants are the best their country of origin have to offer. They have goals, vsion, courage and they work hard to make it. My parents came from Holland in 1953 and that describes them. My wife and I moved to Cabarete this year. We are 52. That said, the climate also attracts "white trash". Gringos who are lazy and have nothing to really contribute. There are not too many but more than enough for the "mix".

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Are you ready to be:

Robbed, lose all your possessions, molested, raped, and possibly killed. The area is not safe!

Maija

Jun 10, 2007
Whirleybird - not sure whether you are asking me that seriously. Is there a word there you don?t understand? Critters = creatures, boonies =sticks

Sharlene = one courageous lady, me thinks. The ties here would never be cut. I have sons. Good point though. It?s not just a desire to slow the pace and find some measure of peace, but to expand that learning curve you mentioned. After all, there IS life outside this tiny neck of the woods. I want to taste it. You know, expanding horizons and all that! Best of wishes in YOUR decision.

Frankie ? I have no experience with Malinois, nice to hear about them first hand. Thank you.

PB ? thank you for such valuable input.

Peace,
Maija

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
It sounded like a dream-come-true:
-doing my own thing to earn a living (chickens and market gardening, perhaps)

Maija,
Not much of a living to be earned from a small scale chicken or garden enterprise. Might manage to keep yourself fed, though. Hopefully you have other income or assets on which you can rely.