new business

alloallo3

Jan 27, 2007
Hi,
I'm thinking about moving to the DR. I don't need to work, but it would be nice to have a few extra bucks. My idea is to move to a tourist town -- probably Cabarete -- and open a rental place for electric bicycles. Call it an ecologically sensitive alternative, although for me it would simply reduce the infernal noise of the motoconchos.

Can I get 20 bikes into the DR? I'm assuming tax will be 50 to 100 percent of their value -- is that about right? And will I be able to operate a business (with DR employees), or will I get burned down for competing with the locals?

Sorry if this sounds politically incorrect, but I've had bad dealings in Mexico.

Thanks,
Mark

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Motorcycles that don't make a noise? .... In the DR???? What ARE you thinking of Sir?? That would be as popular with Dominicans as lap dancers who refuse to take their clothes off (because they are NICE girls)!!

It won't be the competition that would upset the locals - it is the serious breech of Dominican concept/culture that "If it moves it has got to make a LOUD noise" that would get you drummed out of the country!!

To be serious (& I repeat earlier comments to you on this subject), as you are not desperate for money, come down, kick back & relax & SEE for yourself what might be a good business down here, ....... AND HOW TO GO ABOUT IT! This task - if undertaken correctly & investigated properly - should take you a minimum of 6 months!! ~ Grahame.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Motorcycles that don't make a noise? .... In the DR???? What ARE you thinking of Sir??
Grahame-he could do what we did as kids: use clothes pins to attach playing cards to sitck between the spokes so the bike would make a loud brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbr sound as we peddled...:cheeky:

(Ah, the memories of childhood...)

Tee Bone

Jun 16, 2007
Grahame-he could do what we did as kids: use clothes pins to attach playing cards to sitck between the spokes so the bike would make a loud brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbr sound as we peddled...:cheeky:

(Ah, the memories of childhood...)

And tow a red wagon full os soda pop bottles to the local IGA for 2 cents a pop.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
With proper marketing and a solid business plan This might work. i know a few organizations that would like to see us use more alternative fuels. Now electricity here is at a premium so this might be something for you to consider.
20 bikes a nice brochoure, contract with local travel agents and while you at it make a nice eco tourism approach to it.